1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Recommended 2 player games for couples :) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vincenzo maria Squillacioti
Italy
flag msg tools
Hello guys i’m Into board games for maybe a year now and i’m Enjoying them so much, now I have a request and is to find a specifically board game that I can play with my girlfriend. We already play games like carcassonne pandemic 7 wonders ticket to ride and five tribes, but I was searching for a game that is specifically for 2 players. If you can suggest games that are good with 2 but can handle more I appreciate too for now I was thinking at:
Jaipur
Lost cities
Patchwork
Takenoko.
What are your recommendations? Thank you for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake M

NEW YORK
Select
msg tools
Robinson Crusoe! One of my favorites with two players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Fog of Love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
flag msg tools
Bikewriter wrote:
Robinson Crusoe! One of my favorites with two players

Thank you bike writer and lizard and what do you think of the games in my list? I appreciate a thought

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake M

NEW YORK
Select
msg tools
I haven’t played them so I cannot really speak to them. I’m sure others have though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Vincenzo,
You may want to check out the A Couple of Gamers guild. It exists for stuff like this.

All your ideas are excellent.
I would add Morels, Hive (check out the rarer Carbon version), Fugitive and 7 Wonders Duel

On the Ticket To Ride front there is Nordic which is specifically designed for two players (it also plays three)

And Multiplayer games that work well for two include Viticulture Essential Edition and First Class: All Aboard the Orient Express!

For a big step up in complexity there is The Ravens of Thri Sahashri a two player only asymetric co-op game.

EDIT: Oh and how could I forget Codenames: Duet but that is quite language dependent and may not be suitable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
flag msg tools
Thank you Greg, i’ll Check all of this. Thank you guys for the Help that you are giving me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys xxx
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From your list I have played all except Lost Cities and I think you cannot go wrong with either of them.
I prefer Takenoko with more players though.
And if I had to pick between Japur and Patchwork I would probably go with Jaipur (it would be the other way round for my main 2-player partner however). Patchwork feels a bit more serious and thinky, Jaipur is more relaxing for me while still can be very dense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gina
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legends of Andor springs to mind.

However, it can be played with 4 players, but me and my hubby play 2 players each, and this isn't difficult to handle. It's very co-operative as you really do need to work together to complete the scenarios, it's a brain teaser and we certainly love it. My not be what you are looking for but there are plenty of videos on good old YouTube to see the game play.

Enjoy your games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Svien
Japan
flag msg tools
Hi Vincenzo,

I have all of the games on your list, and the only one I wouldn't recommend is Takenoko due to it being far too light and not so great with 2 players. I'd also recommend Battle Line in place of Lost Cities, although Lost Cities is a good game too. Jaipur and Patchwork are great.

I'd always recommend the Castles of Burgundy, as it is an excellent 2 player game and my wife's favorite. There have been some other excellent recommendations in this thread too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Bob McJimmerson
msg tools
Why limit yourself to two player games only? I mostly play 2 player but nearly all our games are for more players, I just pick one's that scale really well. Our faves are Troyes, The Castles of Burgundy, ZhanGuo, Near and Far, Claustrophobia(2 player only), Concordia, Targi(2 player only), Notre Dame and Trickerion: Legends of Illusion. All excellent 2 players. I second The Ravens of Thri Sahashri, that's a lovely couples game.

Good luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Bob McJimmerson
msg tools
I would also recommend watching Rahdo as he is the man when it come to 2 player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vincent995 wrote:
Hello guys i’m Into board games for maybe a year now and i’m Enjoying them so much, now I have a request and is to find a specifically board game that I can play with my girlfriend. We already play games like carcassonne pandemic 7 wonders ticket to ride and five tribes, but I was searching for a game that is specifically for 2 players. If you can suggest games that are good with 2 but can handle more I appreciate too for now I was thinking at:
Jaipur
Lost cities
Patchwork
Takenoko.
What are your recommendations? Thank you for your help.

Seems to be a pretty good list. Get one, many or all of them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quaoar 10
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely check out Santorini!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt bins
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fields of arle. There is a lot going on in this one. It is a marathon...but it is a great 2 player game. Basically building up competing farming communities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Line

I’m blown away nobody has mentioned this yet. It’s the perfect couples’ card game.

[edit]

I just noticed that Jordan did, but it was hidden in a paragraph. For the record, Battle Line not only fires Lost Cities, it denies it any severance and puts it on the healthy-attrition list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great suggestions my favs for specifically 2 players are The Ravens of Thri Sahashri, Targi with or without expansion, Hanamikoji and Elements. Your list is good but I'm not that big a fan of Takenoko.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like most of the people came here to post their favorite fringe recommendations, but if you look at the other threads like this and see what games have stood the test of time among gamer couples(that can play more since my wife and I often have a common friend over)-
Race for the Galaxy
The Castles of Burgundy
Keyflower

These also can be short enough to have rematches in a single session and have top-tier replayability with their variable setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor S
United States
California
flag msg tools
Concordia

My girlfriend and I enjoy it immensely. It can either be a strategic, chess-like experience or a casual, almost cooperative experience. Everybody gets points at the end, so it's fun to see how each player can maximize their score.

If you ever play with a larger group, you'll find it becomes an incredibly competitive game, which is a nice change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Orosz
United States
Wickliffe
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't see these mentioned:
Matcha
Koi-Koi
Agility
Limes/Cities
Tides of Madness

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lowrey
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a strictly two player game, there’s The Blood of an Englishman

Fields of Green is a two to four player game that apparently has a drafting mechanism that works very well with two.

If you want to try something a step up in complexity, Terraforming Mars works well as a two-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as games that are specifically 2 player, all the ones on your list except Takenoko are specifically 2 player and excellent choices.

Other favorite "2 player only" games in our home:

Hanamikoji
Battle Line
Hive
Santorini

Other popular recs in the 2 player only category:
7 Wonders Duel
Onitama
Morels
The Duke
Memoir '44 or other command & colors based games
Mr. Jack or any of the variations
Claustrophobia

Some games that are good with 2 but can handle more that I often see suggested:
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases
Troyes
Orléans
The Castles of Burgundy
Grand Austria Hotel
Race for the Galaxy
Seasons
Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure
Glass Road
Viticulture Essential Edition

pretty much any coop game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renegade Pineapple
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suburbia
Cottage Garden
The Downfall of Pompeii

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hintz
Canada
flag msg tools
Rock me archimedes is perfect for 2...me n mine love it...along with tiny epic galaxies. Onitama too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferne Hebig
Canada
Watson
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
If you're looking for something a little different, try SPL Battlegrounds: Legends Edition. It is a card game rather than a board game, but still a lot of fun! My husband and I play together a lot. It is a 1-6 player game so can serve 2 or more quite easily. This really is quite wonderful as a two player. You don't have to know anything about car audio to play, and it takes only about an hour, which for me is perfect.

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/spl-battlegrounds:-lege...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.