Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been throwing everything in every time I play, so with every new expansion decks become bigger. This is not too problematic with assets and spells but with mythos I am wondering if this could lead to a more all over the place game. Should I limit the expansions added?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is designed so that it doesn't have to too much bloat, despite the number of expansions. The worst part are the conditions and assets deck. Most people split up the conditions deck into a few smaller sub-decks. If you haven't sleeved the assets, they're not as bad a problem, but if you've sleeved them, you'll probably want to break it into a few smaller piles. Possibly spells as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Bunzel
Germany
Düsseldorf
North-Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, split Spells into categories (Rituals etc) and Conditons (Madness, Injuries etc)
Mythos Cards arent that much of a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:
I am wondering if this could lead to a more all over the place game.

On this specific point, I'm going to repeat my tired refrain - EH does a great job of establishing theme through Ancient One and Prelude. The cards in every expansion either interact with an Ancient One or Prelude, or else they're pretty generic. The game never gets too all over place, unless you're talking about the way it spreads all over the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to think of the research encounters and mysteries as the reason I am travelling the world and other encounters as things that happen along the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's one subtle thing that mixing all the mythos cards together does. In the base set, there's not enough hard mythos cards (the ones with the tentacles on them) for you to randomly draw only hard events for the entire game. Ditto for the easy cards. With a couple expansions, it IS possible.

This makes the difficulty of the game more swingy, ranging from much easier to much harder than the vanilla game. How much you care about this is up to you. Our group just sorted the mythos cards into hard, normal, and easy stacks so we can have a little control over how difficult we want the game to be each time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:
I have been throwing everything in every time I play... with mythos I am wondering if this could lead to a more all over the place game.
I'm going to give an answer at odds with "received wisdom" here: I dislike the way that the Mythos deck includes Mythos cards that are thematically linked to their expansions (if not directly to the AOs of the expansion). This leads to somewhat non-thematic Mythos outcomes such as Hypothermia effects when you are playing Under the Pyramids (for example). I don't have an answer to this, I'm sure it would take significant effort (and "spoil" a lot of the content) to identify to isolate expansion-themed Mythos cards and to only mix in those cards when you are using "their" expansion.

As to whether the game is bloated or not - absolutely, it is IMO. If you have all the expansions, you will have a massive number of cards, many of these will not be used ('cos they are AO-related) or won't come into play ('cos they are expansion-specific). At this stage in its lifecycle I feel EH is as bloated at that other game that it "fixed".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
abendoso wrote:
I have been throwing everything in every time I play... with mythos I am wondering if this could lead to a more all over the place game.
I'm going to give an answer at odds with "received wisdom" here: I dislike the way that the Mythos deck includes Mythos cards that are thematically linked to their expansions (if not directly to the AOs of the expansion). This leads to somewhat non-thematic Mythos outcomes such as Hypothermia effects when you are playing Under the Pyramids (for example). I don't have an answer to this, I'm sure it would take significant effort (and "spoil" a lot of the content) to identify to isolate expansion-themed Mythos cards and to only mix in those cards when you are using "their" expansion.

As to whether the game is bloated or not - absolutely, it is IMO. If you have all the expansions, you will have a massive number of cards, many of these will not be used ('cos they are AO-related) or won't come into play ('cos they are expansion-specific). At this stage in its lifecycle I feel EH is as bloated at that other game that it "fixed".

Fair. I do stand by my assertion that EH has done a much better job than AH did of segregating themed content and not requiring curated decks, but I'll concede that dilution is greater than zero. Judging bloat by pure volume of cards, it's true that EH with all expansions does have unwieldy towers of cards that need to be managed (for me, shuffling cards arranged by keyword followed by cutting each deck in half and using only that half deck during a game is an acceptable solution).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
JonConnington wrote:
Yep, split Spells into categories (Rituals etc) and Conditons (Madness, Injuries etc).

But how do I draw a card of them then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
d0gb0t wrote:
JonConnington wrote:
Yep, split Spells into categories (Rituals etc) and Conditons (Madness, Injuries etc).

But how do I draw a card of them then?

Conditions aren't an issue, really. Just divide them into something that has a certain logic to it (deals, injury/illness, madness, talents and boons, miscellaneous), as random conditions are always by type, and the only condition that has two types is Composed (which is why I suggested putting good stuff, talents and boons, together; composed is each).

If you split spells, roll a die randomly to determine which pile to draw from if you're getting a non-type specific spell. 1-2: stack on left; 3-4: stack in middle; 5-6, stack on the right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Breski

Chorley
msg tools
mb
mccrispy wrote:

I agree with you here. Ever since i got the game, i become obsessed with it, and i play as often as i can. I decided i want all expansons for my beloved game. I recently added Stange Remnants and Forgotten Lore expansions, and i sleeved all cards. At that moment gameplay became somewhat cumbersome, and storage is problematic too. Right now i’m not so sure about buying all the expansions anymore. Maybe one big for extra sideboard. And then i’ll see what to do next. Im not sure if extra content will justify all the bloat??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Bühler
Switzerland
flag msg tools
I find the bloat very manageable, because it's organized and segregated. Once you've selected Rumour and GoO, you know which cards you won't need (almost half the cards in the game are GoO or board-specific, so you won't need them.)

Much better than in Arkham, where if you didn't carefully curate, you'll suddenly draw "Act II of King in Yellow!" in a game that hadn't so far featured anything Hastur-related at all and then you'd suddenly have to remember what that meant.

I'd rather have cards that I don't need every game than cards that might or might not come up every came.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincenzo Beretta
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
I dislike the way that the Mythos deck includes Mythos cards that are thematically linked to their expansions (if not directly to the AOs of the expansion). This leads to somewhat non-thematic Mythos outcomes such as Hypothermia effects when you are playing Under the Pyramids (for example).

Can't you just discard the card and draw one of the same color from the pile of the unused ones?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reckall wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
I dislike the way that the Mythos deck includes Mythos cards that are thematically linked to their expansions (if not directly to the AOs of the expansion). This leads to somewhat non-thematic Mythos outcomes such as Hypothermia effects when you are playing Under the Pyramids (for example).

Can't you just discard the card and draw one of the same color from the pile of the unused ones?
Of course you can. I'd rather not have to do so. Having to modify the outcome of setup during play, or having to come up with a way to manage decks of cards other than per RAW is an example of a game that is failing the "elegance test" and an of a game that is suffering from bloat and (potentially) theme dilution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't imagine spending the time adding and removing cards from EH. We've been playing with everything in all along the way without issue so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Having to modify the outcome of setup during play, or having to come up with a way to manage decks of cards other than per RAW is an example of a game that is failing the "elegance test"

I thought you are a big Arkham Horror fan! Since when does elegance get in the equation?

(if Eldritch Horror with all expansions is like a ballerina in her mid-thirties with a few extra pounds, Arkham Horror with all expansions is a Troll in a tutu)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nobody82b wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
Having to modify the outcome of setup during play, or having to come up with a way to manage decks of cards other than per RAW is an example of a game that is failing the "elegance test"

I thought you are a big Arkham Horror fan! Since when does elegance get in the equation?

(if Eldritch Horror with all expansions is like a ballerina in her mid-thirties with a few extra pounds, Arkham Horror with all expansions is a Troll in a tutu)

I try to avoid comparisons with other games - it inevitably derails the thread with the same old tired arguments and hyperbole. Some people seem to insist on dragging the thread down even when I try to avoid it! However, as you mentioned it... I didn't mention AH in conjunction with elegance. EH is invariably portrayed as the AH killer because it is so frackin' elegant. My point was that those of us who predicted that EH would suffer the same bloat and lack of elegance as the game that it "killed" are looking to be prescient. But let's please not turn this into an Arkham Horror Files internecine war (again).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Poor
United States
Dexter
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we sort the cards by type, and when it is time to select one, we use this website:

https://eldritchhorror.herokuapp.com/index.html

It has really made the piles of cards much more manageable.

there's also an Eldritch Horror app for Android that is very useful in reducing card stacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Sedgwick
United Kingdom
Swanley
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crispy66 wrote:
we sort the cards by type, and when it is time to select one, we use this website:

https://eldritchhorror.herokuapp.com/index.html

It has really made the piles of cards much more manageable.

there's also an Eldritch Horror app for Android that is very useful in reducing card stacks.

Both are excellent tools and I try not to play a game without either of them now. I mostly use the Android "Eldritch Companion" app when playing solo and the above web based one when playing with others via laptop or iPad. I have some friends though who insist on using the cards.

When I first got EH and started collecting the expansions I started mixing it all into one set. I found the diluted mythos deck an annoyance after a while and the asset deck pain too as I sleeve every card. When I stripped everything back to just the base + 1 expansion it felt - at least to me - more thematic. But it really is up to you at the end of the day as to what works/feels best for you.

When playing with the decks, I don't mind prepping the decks prior to play. I tend to play an expansions supplied old ones until I've successfully beaten them. For organising the decks during play I split them up by sub-type and use business card stands to keep everything neatly to hand.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1-8-Bay-pocket-4-Tier-Desktop-Busin...

Storage of everything hasn't been too bad either. I use two big box expansion boxes to hold all the expansions published to date. All cards are sleeved, clue tokens are in 9mm coin capsules, dice, wooden character/monster and gate stands all packed neatly. The only expansion I leave in the main box is Forsaken Lore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd-Gunnar Wikmark
Norway
Kvaloysletta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
[q="abendoso"]This leads to somewhat non-thematic Mythos outcomes such as Hypothermia effects when you are playing Under the Pyramids (for example).

Let me tell you that the nights in Egypt can be quite cold, particularly when you are dressed in short sleeves and a shorts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Akashi_12 wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
[q="abendoso"]This leads to somewhat non-thematic Mythos outcomes such as Hypothermia effects when you are playing Under the Pyramids (for example).

Let me tell you that the nights in Egypt can be quite cold, particularly when you are dressed in short sleeves and a shorts.
Yes, I know that some otherwise warm regions (particularly hot deserts) can have overnight temperatures below freezing, it's part of how the sand gets there. But pedantry aside, you surely get my point?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd-Gunnar Wikmark
Norway
Kvaloysletta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Akashi_12 wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

Yes, I know that some otherwise warm regions (particularly hot deserts) can have overnight temperatures below freezing, it's part of how the sand gets there. But pedantry aside, you surely get my point?

Yes sure I do - I intended no harm Actually I have never played with all the expansions in EH, but that is the standard way I play Arkham Horror. I have split the mythos cards into separate decks and use dice to control which deck I draw from. That way, I can add and subtract whatever I need without shuffling anything. As I acquire more and more EH, I might do it the same way here. In any case, you do get the strange unexplainable encounter, but hey, in a game where you are saving the world from ancient ones and fighting monsters, I don´t see freezing in Sahara as a big problem
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:

EH doesn't really feel bloated to me, because expansions mostly just give you new content, they don't pile on new rules and mechanisms. AFAIK, there hasn't been any new mechanisms since Mountains of Madness, when they introduced Preludes and Unique Assets, unless you count mechanisms tied to specific Preludes or Ancient Ones (e.g. Mystic Ruins). You draw a Prelude, you pick an Ancient One, sometimes they give you some extra rules for the current game, the rest of the game is the same as it's been since MoM. For the record, I don't think that other game was too bad with regards to bloat either, unless you insist on playing with everything.

As any FFG game, both games were a bit bloated from the start, but that's another matter. FFG likes to have 10+ different decks of cards in their games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
I try to avoid comparisons with other games - it inevitably derails the thread with the same old tired arguments and hyperbole. Some people seem to insist on dragging the thread down even when I try to avoid it! However, as you mentioned it... I didn't mention AH in conjunction with elegance. EH is invariably portrayed as the AH killer because it is so frackin' elegant. My point was that those of us who predicted that EH would suffer the same bloat and lack of elegance as the game that it "killed" are looking to be prescient. But let's please not turn this into an Arkham Horror Files internecine war (again).

Without criticizing AH, what makes EH really elegant (in my opinion, of course) is that they made it very easy to expand the game without changing or adding core mechanisms. Just put new rules on the AO-specific components, maybe throw in some new conditions, and you suddenly have a very different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oivind22 wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

Without criticizing AH, what makes EH really elegant (in my opinion, of course) is that they made it very easy to expand the game without changing or adding core mechanisms. Just put new rules on the AO-specific components, maybe throw in some new conditions, and you suddenly have a very different game.
I dunno, I gave up with EH with Dreamlands (though maybe I'll revist with Eldritch Horror: Masks of Nyarlathotep), but I'm pretty sure that Focus, Impairment and Talents are all core rules that aren't AO-specific.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.