Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the Monster expansion and immediately found some problems. I was wondering if anyone else has seen these issues. If so, what did you do about them? Was USAopoly responsive?

COLOR ISSUES

The card backs are WAY darker than my box set. See below:

You can tell instantly which type of card is next in the Horgwarts draw deck and in your own draw deck. You can try to "not look" but it is impossible. I have never seen a game with multiple card expansions do this. Shadows of Brimstone, Magic the Gathering, Descent, etc. all have identical card back shades.

BENT CARDS

See below:

Several cards are severely bent and many have what I would describe as "depressions" that may or may nor go away. This further exacerbates the "I know which card is coming out of my deck next" issue.

Anyone have either of these issues? Any advice before I contact USAopoly?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Fletcher
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are sleeves an option for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "noticeably dark" was an issue with my copy as well and I think others have commented about it before. I honestly do not buy into the "type of card" argument though. Once you are playing at Box 4, there are plenty of different types of cards that come off each set. By the time you've built up your deck, knowing which set is on the top of your deck does not give you enough information to form a strategy. Similarly, given the importance of cycling your deck, it is rare that I would ever turn down a card draw. At best, I can think of some edge cases where, when using Charms, knowing the top decked card would affect my discard. Other than early game when it is easy to track your deck, I think you would have to have a very good memory for this to really affect gameplay decisions.

I don't recall any card damage issues, but I have to admit that since I sleeve my cards, I wouldn't have noticed or cared if I did. General consensus is that USAopoly has been pretty amicable about replacements, but I cannot speak for them. Depending on how picky you are about this relative to the coloring issue, you should already notice that your ten starter cards are more worn than any other cards in your deck; this is a much more significant tell than Monster Box vs base set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Purdy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote the company a complaint, and they sent me a complete replacement set of all of the original 7 game cards so it matches the monster expansion cards. That is impressive... however I like the original color much more than the new expansion's color!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBoxmaker wrote:
Are sleeves an option for you?

Good idea. However, I play a ton of games and pump a lot of money into them. (Descent, Shadows of Brimstone, etc.) This is a filler game that we play with friends and family and I don't want to 1) pay for a bunch of opaque sleeves, or 2) figure out if they will all fit when sleeved - especially since this shouldn't happen in the first place. Also, it isn't just the Hogwarts cards. The villains and locations etc. all have different colored backs. I don't know if they get mixed in yet as I haven't played the expansion yet after I noticed this issue, but if so, that is bothersome and won't be fixed by sleeves.

I realize that this is a first-world problem. But I haven't ever seen this and it is irksome when a big company does something that will make me less comfortable during my valuable relaxation and hobby time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
The "noticeably dark" was an issue with my copy as well and I think others have commented about it before. I honestly do not buy into the "type of card" argument though. Once you are playing at Box 4, there are plenty of different types of cards that come off each set. By the time you've built up your deck, knowing which set is on the top of your deck does not give you enough information to form a strategy. Similarly, given the importance of cycling your deck, it is rare that I would ever turn down a card draw. At best, I can think of some edge cases where, when using Charms, knowing the top decked card would affect my discard. Other than early game when it is easy to track your deck, I think you would have to have a very good memory for this to really affect gameplay decisions.

I don't recall any card damage issues, but I have to admit that since I sleeve my cards, I wouldn't have noticed or cared if I did. General consensus is that USAopoly has been pretty amicable about replacements, but I cannot speak for them. Depending on how picky you are about this relative to the coloring issue, you should already notice that your ten starter cards are more worn than any other cards in your deck; this is a much more significant tell than Monster Box vs base set.

Thanks for the input. As I mentioned above, I realize that this is, ultimately, a first-world problem. But it does bother me that they did this, regardless of how small the impact on play will be. I notice it and it bugs me. Early on, it definitely will impact play. Later on, it will be a smaller impact, but it will still be an impact.

And no, I haven't noticed worn card backs form starting cards yet. I will keep an eye out for them though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NYpurdy wrote:
I wrote the company a complaint, and they sent me a complete replacement set of all of the original 7 game cards so it matches the monster expansion cards. That is impressive... however I like the original color much more than the new expansion's color!

That's great news. I wrote them two days ago with links to this thread and the attached images. I hope they treat me as well as they treated you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really disappointed with the state of the cards in the expansion. Dozens of the cards are bowed, bent, warped and creased across all four boxes and across all three card sizes. I don't mind the odd dodgy card and I have thousands and thousands of cards, I am a card game junkie. But this is a very sloppy product.

The backs don't match up very well at all. It doesn't affect gameplay very much but I would expect better than this. I could drive a car around with odd shaded panels but I'd rather buy a car that looks like it should do.

I love sleeves but not opaque back ones as they are not as good in my opinion for handling.

What really bugs me is that it's throughout the entire pack and three different card styles. That made me think my one is not a one-off and they need to look into how these cards are being produced or handled.

It is a good game but I will be skipping this company in future, I'm not short on great games with cards that aren't warped, bent and creased.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grahamers2002 wrote:
NYpurdy wrote:

That's great news. I wrote them two days ago with links to this thread and the attached images. I hope they treat me as well as they treated you!

Looks like they aren't doing this any more. I just got the following email from USAopoly:

Quote:
Greetings Graham!

Thank you for contacting USAopoly.

I understand that several cards are bent. We truly apologize for the inconvenience!

I would be happy to send a replacement card to replace the bent cards, if you'd be so kind and provide us with a list of the specific bent cards.

Regarding the difference in colors: We are, unfortunately, aware of the difference in colors of the cards in the Expansion game and the core game. (we used different manufacturers for each edition) Luckily, this does not affect game play...

I thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

Respectfully,
{REDACTED}
Customer Support Representative
USAopoly, Inc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.