Istanbul: The Dice Game» Forums » General

Subject: Jaipur Killer? ... and other thoughts. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Played a 2-player game of Istanbul: The Dice Game with my wife tonight, our first game. She won 6 rubies to 5. Game took a good 30 minutes.

After the game I mentioned, "You know what this game reminds me of? ... I know they are different but, Jaipur. You might even say this is a Jaipur killer". Instantly she replied "I like this better than Jaipur", which is saying something because my wife likes Jaipur. It reminds me of Jaipur because both games kind of feel like a race where you are trying to collect goods, both games play pretty quick, and have similar setting thematically.

Istanbul: The Dice Game is very easy to learn, quick, yet gives you some good decisions to make. It has dice-rolling, engine building, resource management, some interesting card play, multiple paths to victory, and plays great at 2-player. Highly recommended.

After the game my wife asked, "Was this a card game before or something?". Obviously never having heard of Istanbul before and wondering why this was "The Dice Game". The back of the rulebook had an advertisement for Istanbul so I showed her and said "No, it's based on this". She took a look at it, handed it back to me and said "I like the dice game better". Ha, I got a laugh out of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Liakhovich
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that you put it this way I might just stick to my Jaipur and Istanbul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Prins
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. My interest is peak now. I like Jaipur, but I always thought something was missing. And love Istanbul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gilutin
United States
Alhambra
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This recent overuse of "(Some other game) Killer" is silly. You either like a game or you don't.
Is it going to cause you to throw Jaipur in the trash?
Here's my address.......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apecage wrote:
This recent overuse of "(Some other game) Killer" is silly. You either like a game or you don't.
Is it going to cause you to throw Jaipur in the trash?
Here's my address.......

That’s a little harsh, don’t you think? For instance, Race for the Galaxy was certainly a Twister killer for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.