Francois Vander Meulen
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During a day action of a naval combat, imagine both players send some planes to make air strikes.

Once air superiority is determined and air to air battle has been resolved, does the player roll for Interception (like in 5.9.4.2) for its planes ?

Thanks!

françois

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Efvehem wrote:
During a day action of a naval combat, imagine both players send some planes to make air strikes.

Once air superiority is determined and air to air battle has been resolved, does the player roll for Interception (like in 5.9.4.2) for its planes ?

In the first paragraph, when you say "send some planes", are you talking about land-based aircraft or carrier-based aircraft?

I am assuming the latter; in which case no Interception roll is made since the carrier has already "sighted" its target (15.5) and attacks its target using its carrier Airstrike rating.

If you are referring to ground-based air (specifically rule 15.5.1), that points you to rule 6.6 which covers ground-based air attacks on ships. Each player commits ground-based air and only the side with superiority gets to launch the strike on ships.

Does this help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois Vander Meulen
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it doesn't help. (sorry to have been unclear)

I am talking about land-based aircraft. Sure, only the the side with superiority gets to launch the strike on ships, but are there some Interception rolls (like in 5.9.4.2) needed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stueber
United States
Vernon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
I am the Sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf.
badge
BRAINS????
mbmbmbmbmb
See rule 6.6.8. You would, or could, intercept with NavAir strikes first then after completing the NavAir strikes you go to Naval Combat. For both of those you would need to make Interception Rolls. The rounds of Naval Combat I believe are separate from the NavAir strikes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois Vander Meulen
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Dan. (But I am still not sure .... May be I miss something obvious.)

During Air Raid Pulse, and during Air Transit Attacks, the interception is mentioned (5.9.4.2 & 14.3.3 respectively).
My question is about the Naval Combat (Day action). 15.5 states that either player can launch a Naval Air Strike.

My question is : "are there some interception rolls to do before this Naval Air Strike ?"

thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how I've been playing it...

15.5.1 reference 6.6

Nowhere in 6.6 is there a reference to interception rolls. There is use of the word "intercept" in 6.6.1...but no mention of rolling for one.

Perhaps 6.6.1 should also include a reference that Naval Air Strikes occur during day naval combat (15.5) in addition to air transit attacks 14.3) and naval air raid pulse (5.9)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stueber
United States
Vernon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
BRAINS????
mbmbmbmbmb
15.5.1 states prior to each round of combat in a Day Action either player with a supplied Army within Air Range may launch a Naval Air Strike (6.6) on enemy ships.

6.6 states a Naval Air Strike occurs during an Air Transit Attack (14.3) or a Naval Air Raid Pulse (5.9) as one side sends it's land based Planes from Air Bases to intercept...

14.3 Air Transit Attacks in section 14.3.3 states The Planes executing the Air Transit Attack must successfully intercept their intended target Ships (5.9.4.2)

5.9.4.2 states to conduct an Air Interception....roll a d6 for each Plane, the interception succeeds on a 1-4, and fails on a 5-6.

To intercept with planes you must roll per 5.9.4.2. I misspoke in my earlier answer as I thought there was only one Air Interception during a Naval Combat as opposed to one possibly occurring before each Day Action. Sorry about that...I'm still learning this game...and enjoying the heck out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois Vander Meulen
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your answers. This is not 100% sure yet I think. Because,

The word 'intercept' is in 6.6.1 but this paragraph is about Air Transit Attack (14.3) or a Naval Air Raid Pulse (5.9), not Naval Combat.

The Naval Air strike is define in 6.6.3 and doesn't involve the Interception Roll. To me the Naval Air Strike is occuring AFTER the interception.

The Naval Combat refers to Naval Air Strikes. So one can argue that the Interception Roll is not needed in this case. (May be it is easier for the planes to find the enemy ships because they have already been intercepted by the friendly ships ...).

So I am still unable to make up my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stueber
United States
Vernon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
BRAINS????
mbmbmbmbmb
15.5.1 references rule 6.6 Naval Air Strikes not 6.6.3. This means to me that to conduct the Naval Air Strike I go to 6.6 and follow the procedure for that rule. Thus I roll for Interception.

However, I can see your point. I prefer to have some more randomness to the naval combat so I'm going to continue with the interception roll for this. Plus the game has two month turns so I'm picturing the naval combats as being a series of actions over several days or weeks as opposed to one large battle fought where everyone shows up all at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
I drink and I know things
badge
Night gathers and now my watch begins
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that you roll for interception. The alternative certainly goes against the spirit of the rules. I have always played it this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.