Subject: QUESTIONS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got this for Christmas and today we had our first game.

Rules are rather clear but we're still left with some questions.

: when you land on an area with enemies, must you stop?
as I understand it you can simply move through.

: when you end your turn on the spot with a lone general, does this have any consequences?
as I understand it, nothing happens unless you chose to attack.

: quest cards.
Is there a limited number of attempts for a quest?
I you don't make it the first chance you get, does that mean the mission has failed?
Or can you keep trying for as long as you want.

Also wondered about the chests on the map. couldn't find any reference to them in the rules.

Hoping for a quick reply so we can play on without mistakes.

As said played it today, just a few minutes ago, and we really enjoyed it.

In a way it makes me think of Andor, which soon started to bore us when we didn't manage to win and every replay is basically the same.

At least with this one, you have the illusion you migt be able to win.

Was not too impressed with the miniatures.
I fear 'cool minis or not' has spoiled me.

The minions are okay, when you look at them it seems as if they are not to bothered with what ever happens.
Still would have been nice, as they are different creatures, if they's been a bit different.

Generals are fine, allthough I don't see why this bleu dragon has to be out of proportion, I thinks the only reason for that can be to boost sales. Oh look this game has a cool giant dragon, let's buy it.
For the game it might have been better at a 'normal' size.

Heroes, could have been better, I don't like how they seem out of proportion. Too small, to large...
Doesn't make the game better or worse, but it simply would have made it look better. Maybe I'll one day pimp the game.

Must go contact their costumer service cause I don't have the dwarf miniature. Instead I've got one of the female heroes twice.

Speaking of female, I noticed they refer to the players as 'she' which felt weird to me.
Never actually thought about this, but I reckon women must feel like that, while reading rules, all teh time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
1- You can keep moving, but if you end your turn in a space with minions you take damage.

2- Correct nothing happens...you are hiding from the general.

3- On the missions it depends on the mission they say if you only have one chance.

4 - The chests are for the Rouge character and I imagine cause problems for everyone that doesn't play with her first game.

5- Yeah the minis are...ok. Not sure why you think the Dragon is out of proportion if anything it is too small. Typically Dragons are Really big. I personally like the minions since you are moving them around all the time the design makes it easy to handle and they don't have any random parts to break off.

6- I think it is nice to not default to Male terms. DOesn't bother me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Gilligan
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:

Also wondered about the chests on the map. couldn't find any reference to them in the rules.

Look at the Rogue character card. If they end their turn on a spot with the treasure chest they draw an extra hero card. There may be others, but I know that is one.

Sorry, been awhile since I've played so I'm not sure on all your rules questions. I am pretty sure that ending on a space with a lone general has no impact. You have to choose to attack the general. Of course, if he has minions there you will take damage as usual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kingsley
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:

: when you land on an area with enemies, must you stop?
as I understand it you can simply move through.

This is correct. Thematically each location is quite large so you may move through without necessarily interacting with enemies. (Note: There are some advanced enemies in expansions which change this)

sagitar wrote:

: when you end your turn on the spot with a lone general, does this have any consequences?
as I understand it, nothing happens unless you chose to attack.

Correct! Same reason as above.

sagitar wrote:

: quest cards.
Is there a limited number of attempts for a quest?
I you don't make it the first chance you get, does that mean the mission has failed?
Or can you keep trying for as long as you want.

The rule of thumb is its only one attempt each quest. However there are certain quests which may be attempted multiple times (see Pegasus quest) but those quests should clarify differently on the card itself.

sagitar wrote:

The chests thematically mark more civilized areas. They are only referenced by certain hero abilities normally (see Rogue). Most of the time these icons can be ignored.

sagitar wrote:

The minions are okay, when you look at them it seems as if they are not to bothered with what ever happens.
Still would have been nice, as they are different creatures, if they's been a bit different.

There are expansions which fix this

sagitar wrote:

Heroes, could have been better, I don't like how they seem out of proportion. Too small, to large...
Doesn't make the game better or worse, but it simply would have made it look better. Maybe I'll one day pimp the game.

Expansions fix this too

I'm glad to hear you are enjoying this game. Its one of my personal favs. Good luck defending the realm!

Edit: ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys.

Seems like someone is trying to talk me into expansions.laugh

So quests one attempt, unless it says something different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an extensive FAQ in the files section. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
There are better options out there for the heroes if you're willing to spend some money; about a 1/3 of them have exact sculpts of the original artwork.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1607042/get-your-larry-...

There's some alternate minion sculpts you can buy. I went ahead and painted my whole set, so this will show you the game's potential:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1738607/quest-completed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great Neil.

We played on, on the Sunday as we'd ran out of time and lost the game cause we ran out of minions to place, which of course was a bit of an anti climax.
We hadn't anticipated needing 5 of that colour at once.

Before that however we did manage to have a go at fighting a general.
Went totaly pearshaped, but at least we knew what we were doing, I'd anticipated it would be more complicated.
Now we know we need more cards of a colour and roling better d6 will also go a long way.

The obe thing we were still sort of struggling with was the overrun and tainted stuff. Read the rules several times but still....

Let's see if you can spot a mistake.
So, when you place a 4th {or in the case of red 3rd] minion you place a tainted christal. The minons stay on the tile, but you place new ones on every connected tile.

I reckon this means that if I have to place another minion with the chrystal, that means another overrun and placing a 2nd chrystal?

I was in some doubt if you should remove the minions and place another chrystal after you again get 4 minions on that tile.

If an overrun causes and overrun on connected tiles, you place a chrystal but the overrun doesn't have a domino effect.

We really enjoyed the game, will it be worth while getting the expansions i.e. will they ad much to the base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
Looks great Neil.

We played on, on the Sunday as we'd ran out of time and lost the game cause we ran out of minions to place, which of course was a bit of an anti climax.
We hadn't anticipated needing 5 of that colour at once.

Before that however we did manage to have a go at fighting a general.
Went totaly pearshaped, but at least we knew what we were doing, I'd anticipated it would be more complicated.
Now we know we need more cards of a colour and roling better d6 will also go a long way.

The obe thing we were still sort of struggling with was the overrun and tainted stuff. Read the rules several times but still....

Let's see if you can spot a mistake.
So, when you place a 4th {or in the case of red 3rd] minion you place a tainted christal. The minons stay on the tile, but you place new ones on every connected tile.
You never actually place a 4th minion; the tainted crystal is placed instead.

I reckon this means that if I have to place another minion with the chrystal, that means another overrun and placing a 2nd chrystal?
For the location being overrun, you only place one crystal.

I was in some doubt if you should remove the minions and place another chrystal after you again get 4 minions on that tile.

If an overrun causes and overrun on connected tiles, you place a chrystal but the overrun doesn't have a domino effect.
Correct.

We really enjoyed the game, will it be worth while getting the expansions i.e. will they ad much to the base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your reply David, I reckon I should have formulated my question a bit better.

Okay, 4t minion, you place a chrystal, got that, but what I wondered about was: do the 3 minions stay put with the Chrystal?

As I understand it they do and you place additional minions on connecting places.

So now the tile with the chrystal and the 3 minions gets hit again.
Do we now add a 2nd Chrystal?

I also wonder if we play it as we should as we never get wounded.

We tend to use our final move to move away from the tile so we don't end our turn on a tile with minions i.e. don't get hurt.

Checked the rules and think that is allowed.
So have I missed something or did we find a clever escape?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
Thanks for your reply David, I reckon I should have formulated my question a bit better.

Okay, 4t minion, you place a chrystal, got that, but what I wondered about was: do the 3 minions stay put with the Chrystal?

As I understand it they do and you place additional minions on connecting places.

Yes the 3 minions remain; usually, you have to fight them to remove them.

So now the tile with the chrystal and the 3 minions gets hit again.
Do we now add a 2nd Chrystal?

Let me explain by example:
1a. There are three minions [any color] on a location and the Darkness Spreads card says add two minions to that location. For the first minion to be placed, in lieu of placing a fourth minion on that location, you add a taint crystal and overrun adjacent locations. For the second minion, you just overrun adjacent locations, nothing else.*
1b. To make the game harder, you could go ahead and add a taint crystal for each minion you attempt to place at that location and do the two overruns. To make the game easier, you could do nothing in regards to placement of the second minion.

2. That same Darkness Spreads card then has a General move into that same location and add a minion. In lieu of placing the minion, you would add a taint crystal and overrun adjacent locations. So it is possible to get more than one taint crystal on a location from the same Darkness Spreads card in the same turn.devil And, a different Darkness Spreads card, drawn in the same turn, could result in another taint crystal being added to that same location.

*Richard Launius answered this question in one of the Defenders of the Realm threads, I just don't remember which thread.

I also wonder if we play it as we should as we never get wounded.

Heroes generally take wounds from failing to defeat a General and from being in a location with minions at the end of the Daytime Step of the Hero's turn.

We tend to use our final move to move away from the tile so we don't end our turn on a tile with minions i.e. don't get hurt.

Checked the rules and think that is allowed.
So have I missed something or did we find a clever escape?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I rarely get wounded either - I either save a move so as not to end a turn with minions, have a power/card that protects me, or try to go into combat with the General massively overpowered so unless the rolls are really bad (which does happen) I'm rarely wounded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
Yes, if played well wounds should be rare (though sometimes unavoidable, particularly late in the game when minions start spreading quickly).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to hear that we are avoiding wounds because we play it clever, instead of us having made a mistake.

The whole chrystals and overrun thing will need a bit of practise for it to become a natural thing.
For now it's the one thing which somewhat baffles us for an otherwise surprisingly simple game.

Maybe someone could make a video someday so we could see it work.

Have any of you played it with the full contingent of heroes?
At first I figure more heroes must make things easier, but than I realised more heroes means more spreading of darkness and heroes closing in faster.

Thanks guys, appreciate the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.