Subject: The solo game wasn't playtested :: edit, never mind, I'm an idiot rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just beat the "impossible" level on solo by over 20 points. Previous game I nearly doubled the public library's score on "near impossible." And I deliberately hobbled myself both games by requiring a first-round discard of "Garbage Dump."

Ok, my apologies, I was clearly doing something wrong because now I've been getting trounced on "Impossible," as it should be. I think I was probably forgetting once or twice (or thrice) to discard for the public library during the preparation phase. My apologies to the designers and to meth-addled rodents everywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergo Tothmihaly
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Re: The solo game wasn't playtested
...or you are a true-born librarian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You didn't use the oft used word for these types of things, 'broken.' You're an educated one! devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wister wrote:
You didn't use the oft used word for these types of things, 'broken.' You're an educated one! devil

Yeah, I'm wondering if the multipliers for the public library at the end shouldn't just be increased. But my math's not good enough to know how to boost everything in a balanced way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It wasn't playtested? Like, at all? Are you a member of the development team?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
It wasn't playtested? Like, at all? Are you a member of the development team?

Correction: It was playtested by meth-addled squirrels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wretched Git wrote:
Correction: It was playtested by meth-addled squirrels.

Wow! You took your evidence to the FBI, right? A gaming company not only with access to meth but then testing it on animals? That's definitely illegal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wretched Git wrote:
I just beat the "impossible" level on solo by over 20 points. Previous game I nearly doubled the public library's score on "near impossible." And I deliberately hobbled myself both games by requiring a first-round discard of "Garbage Dump."

Is it possible you're just playing a rule or two wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyR wrote:
Wretched Git wrote:

I wish I had, but the rules are pretty simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyR wrote:

I doubt it. My winning scores are around 70 to 30. I'm not up to level seven yet, but the increases in discards from 2 to 4 has only increased the library's score by a couple of points. I was playing one rule incorrectly, but it wouldn't have pushed the library score up by more than five points. So my findings so far are somewhat consistent with the OP, although I do need to play a couple of games at the highest difficulty to at least confirm how much effect moving from 4 to 7 is going to have on the library score.

The core problem, I think, is that there are several locations in the game that allow you to move banned works out of your hand and into the library's shelf. So you can both improve your score and hurt the opponent with single actions. You also have control over which locations stay and go, unlike the multiplayer game. I think the solo game needs a tweak where the player gets less choice regarding which locations are banished and which stay. Or perhaps simply adding an eighth level of difficult would help.

Unfortunately (at least in this regard) I received seven games for Christmas this year and I'm more enthralled with Gaia Project and Fields of Arle right now to take the time to experiment with this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
Or perhaps simply adding an eighth level of difficult would help.

Yes, but given the tiny increments that the difficulty levels add, you'd have to have something like a difficulty 12 to make the public library competitive. But then the more cards you have it take, the more randomness you're introducing.

Which is why I would prefer a solution where the opponent's multipliers just get increased across the board. But I don't know how to do that in a balanced way. Maybe some mathy minds could help us out here? Because the game itself is really good, I'd like to make it work. I was thinking about playing on an easy or normal difficulty and just doubling the public library's multipliers for everything. But that's probably stupid for reasons I can't see...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we can do a little bit of math. For every extra discard per turn you give the library, it will have five more cards to score at the end of the game. Each card has an average of three books on it. Lets assume those 15 books are evenly distributed. Every set of six books is worth 4 points (Three for variety, two for preferred work, minus one for banned book). 15 books is 2.5 sets, which multiplies out to 10 points. The problem is, I haven't seen the library scores jump by 10 points with each step up the difficulty track. Either the player interference is a more significant factor or there is something else going on with the statistics that I haven't accounted for. I realize that "even distribution" is a key assumption, but once you get up to seven discards per turn, the law of averages should be taking over. They player doesn't have that much control over what gets discarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I now realize I'm probably wrong about this; see the amended OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My trick for this is, after shuffling the location deck, pull the discards from the deck and place them between the face down locations. This way you can't forget to move the cards into the library.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.