Cry Havoc» Forums » General

Subject: Possible 2 player variant? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
darthead cricketeer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Has anyone tried to make the game 2 rounds longer for 2 players? I am wondering how this will affect the dynamic of the game. It feels to me that with only 15 turns the game feels too short with only 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried playing it normally? The game is great at 2 players, and the restrictions on the amount of actions is part of what makes the game feel that way.

I would not recommend playing more than 5 rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darthead cricketeer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Yes I have played it normally. It is fun that way. I just felt that it was too short.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthead501 wrote:
Yes I have played it normally. It is fun that way. I just felt that it was too short.

I like when a game feels too short, makes me want to play it again and again. Your mileage may vary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darthead cricketeer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
True. Didn't think of it like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game's origin well back in 2012 was to make a war game for up to 4 players (as opposed to the often 2 player) that plays in an hour (as opposed to many war games that take many hours).

Obviously it got beefed up a little bit, but in 2 player the game is often only 30 minutes, and I feel with experience the 4 player game plays in 60-75. I'm totally fine if that feels too short, BUT, the entire design is premised on every decision mattering and lightning fast play. That influenced the tuning, the design, all of that.

SO, if you want to add 2 rounds? Go for it. I imagine stuff will get a bit hyperbolic in rounds 6 and 7, especially if you know what you're doing. But, honestly, it requires no work on your part. Just...make it 2 rounds longer. If you like that more? Sweet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fell
United States
East Patchogue
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
SO, if you want to add 2 rounds? Go for it. I imagine stuff will get a bit hyperbolic in rounds 6 and 7, especially if you know what you're doing. But, honestly, it requires no work on your part. Just...make it 2 rounds longer. If you like that more? Sweet.

No, What are you mad? The world will explode if he plays the game 2 rounds longer!!!!

JK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.