Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Anyone else less than thrilled with A Phantom of Truth? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Danner
United States
Potsdam
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the whole, the Path to Carcossa campaign has been a solid improvement over Dunwich, but sadly, this latest scenario feels like mere filler, almost as bad as the one where you are endlessly waiting for the abomination enemies to wander in your path. I wished for a search mechanism to balance the chase/survival mechanism... You are ostensibly looking for someone, but don't have a single parley action to take. Would have been nice to have a conversation deck like the one in the Last King.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, I like Dunwich more than Carcossa but last two Carcossa scenarios were an improvement in my eyes. So I guess everyone has a different opinion.. cool
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
Netherlands
Haarlem
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought a Phantom of Truth was amazing

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I liked the "chasing" mechanic of the Organist and this type of surviving
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Montgomery
United States
Otisville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think everyone has different opinions. I might be out of the game if Carcossa was before Dunwich. I am tempted to scrap my Carcossa campain and head back to Dunwich. I am looking forward to them beginning to tease the next campaign. I am kind of over this one.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I've liked Carcosa more. My Phantom of Truth game was extremely close and exciting throughout the whole thing so it was a blast for me. I have yet to experience the other way this scenario is meant to be played, so I'm looking forward to that as well.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I think that this scenario for example does the whole running away thing better than Essex Espress since there are branching paths, and you can make good use of maintain a good distance (2 spaces = no attack on me!)/evade and the prey attribute


NMUWildcat027 wrote:
I think everyone has different opinions. I might be out of the game if Carcossa was before Dunwich. I am tempted to scrap my Carcossa campain and head back to Dunwich. I am looking forward to them beginning to tease the next campaign. I am kind of over this one.


The unfortunate thing is how long it takes before we get to the next set! The price of starting the game in its early stages, not as much content to dive into.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very interesting to see the wide range of opinions. No doubt partly due to individual tastes, but perhaps also due to how well particular investigators are doing in our differing campaigns.

As for me, I much prefer Dunwich. The last two Carcosa packs have been the worst in my experience.

I also find the narrative writing in Carcosa to be very poor. The language often disrupts my immersion and I want to rewrite a good part.

The artwork in Phantom however is stellar. Some of the best yet.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh

California
msg tools
mbmb
Really, really didn't enjoy Phantom. We're playing Yorick and Lola, neither of whom can evade particularly well, and just got absolutely housed by a combination of bad encounter deck draws and Organist positioning.

By the end we were just running around, completely out of clues, waiting for the doom counter to tick up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Messinger
United States
New York
flag msg tools
It's pretty easy to abuse this scenario so I can understand if people find it boring. If you are going the conviction route, you don't even need to deal with the Organist
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Leafman
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I loved this scenario. It might be my favorite yet printed—with the caveat that I’ve only played it once, and only the Conviction mode.

My three player group Mark/Akachi/Minh had a really tense time. It added to the tension that there was no one in our group who could possibly evade the Organist, so we had to spend most of our actions running away, snapping up a clue whenever the opportunity presented itself, and landing into serious trouble whenever too many Byakhees spawned at once. Akachi’s sanity gave out right before the third night ended, but Mark and Minh just managed to see it through.

So yeah, this scenario worked for me. A really cool survival scenario. (Not to suggest that OP is wrong to dislike it—different strokes for different folks.)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Danner
United States
Potsdam
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
I also find the narrative writing in Carcosa to be very poor. The language often disrupts my immersion and I want to rewrite a good part.

The artwork in Phantom however is stellar. Some of the best yet.


I agree with both of these sentiments. The "fourth wall" broke through a lot during this scenario due to the spare plot. And, yes, the art WAS terrific. There were little hints of Paris, also, in the location mechanics, which were nice. I'll try it again with a new set of characters.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jschmuck2 wrote:
Really, really didn't enjoy Phantom. We're playing Yorick and Lola, neither of whom can evade particularly well, and just got absolutely housed by a combination of bad encounter deck draws and Organist positioning.

By the end we were just running around, completely out of clues, waiting for the doom counter to tick up.


I'm glad they've made the evade mechanic as necessary as it was. It was becoming too easy to just play blue/yellow and not care about anything else.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Bunzel
Germany
Düsseldorf
North-Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well for my games, i love Dunwich way more than Carcosa, for now.
The core box was not that bad,the first 2 Packs were way better. BUT i do not like the Phantom at all.
Except for the Artwork, the artwork on some cards are gorgeous, in generell the artwork is way better than in Dunwich.

Maybe it is not my theme, but i also think that the flavour texts on the Agenda and Scene cards (and also in the Story texts in the booklets) are better in Dunwich imo, i do not like them very much in Carcosa.

But we still have 3 Packs to go, as for the previews i am absolutely excited for Dim Carcosa
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Waffler
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
I loved phantom of truth, thought it was amazing. I really enjoyed both halfs. They were different,and really cool.
I like Carcossa a lot better than Dunwich, the story I think is way better and more immersive.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost quit because of my disappointment with Dunwich. I'm glad I didn't because Carcosa has been a huge improvement in terms of storytelling and mechanics. They have done a much better job at capturing the mood of the original stories than they did with Dunwich. A Phantom of Truth is an adaptation of a single short story and they did a superb job at converting it into card game format.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sindriss wrote:
I almost quit because of my disappointment with Dunwich. I'm glad I didn't because Carcosa has been a huge improvement in terms of storytelling and mechanics. They have done a much better job at capturing the mood of the original stories than they did with Dunwich. A Phantom of Truth is an adaptation of a single short story and they did a superb job at converting it into card game format.


I just read Court of Dragons! Story in Carcossa works well for me too. It's more mysterious whereas Dunwich reads a bit like an action story

For example
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Running away from a portal sucking the train up, stopping a ritual sacrifice, fighting huge invisible monsters in a town...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Burns
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it depends what way you're playing it.

If you're chasing, I found it good fun.

If you're being chased, I thought it ran a bit long. That could be, in part, due to the amount of 'counts against' doom that seemed to build up.

Overall, I've enjoyed Carcosa a smidgen more. I think Dunwich has a few scenarios that I wasn't thrilled by (Miskatonic Museum and Where Doom Awaits). I've not had that with Carcosa.

Phantom of Truth is, I think, the weakest of this cycle so far.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fawwaz
Saudi Arabia
Riyadh
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We enjoyed it but that's probably due to a win bias. We had more conviction so I liked the mechanic where doom gets subtracted. For once, you would like doom to advance very quickly.

My only issue was that it was maybe a bit too easy. You always fear you might have missed some rules when it feels this way. I admit we had a very lucky starting hand where two characters started with Leo de Luca and played him immediately thanks to the 8 starting resources.

There were barely any enemies and if they showed up, they were quite weak. Jordan was the only challenge but by that time Zoey had a lightning gun with 12 bullets on it (2*Contraband). Lola was the main clue gatherer so it was very easy to collect clues and spend them either on the agenda or to dodge the Phantom. Akachi was doing a bit of fighting and investigation. An upgraded Rite of Seeking also allowed her to gain 3 clues with one action. By the end we cleared all the victory locations, killed the two victory Byakhees and played one Delve Too Deep to finish it with 7 victory points.

Man, my post now reads more like a negative experience .
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Leafman
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
hylian_pirate wrote:
We enjoyed it but that's probably due to a win bias. We had more conviction so I liked the mechanic where doom gets subtracted. For once, you would like doom to advance very quickly.

My only issue was that it was maybe a bit too easy. You always fear you might have missed some rules when it feels this way. I admit we had a very lucky starting hand where two characters started with Leo de Luca and played him immediately thanks to the 8 starting resources.

There were barely any enemies and if they showed up, they were quite weak. Jordan was the only challenge but by that time Zoey had a lightning gun with 12 bullets on it (2*Contraband). Lola was the main clue gatherer so it was very easy to collect clues and spend them either on the agenda or to dodge the Phantom. Akachi was doing a bit of fighting and investigation. An upgraded Rite of Seeking also allowed her to gain 3 clues with one action. By the end we cleared all the victory locations, killed the two victory Byakhees and played one Delve Too Deep to finish it with 7 victory points.

Man, my post now reads more like a negative experience .


Minor thing--only one Leo allowed in play at a time. See Rules Reference p. 20. (My apologies for nitpicking!)

Love the Zoey + Lightning Gun + Contraband build. Great fun.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a rather... odd experience with this scenario.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Basically, when we advanced the act card the first time, I didn't notice there were two different Act 2a cards. Instead, I thought the third card was an Act 3a card, and didn't realize that the Act 1b card told us to use the second Act 2a card in the pile.

The end result, we played the setup for "being chased" (Phantom has 5 combat, 3 evade, 3 horror damage, and keeps chasing after us, Doom on non-agenda cards counts against Doom on agenda, Encounter cards included adding Doom to locations and removing Doom from the agenda), but with the objective of the "chasing" version (need to hit the Organist 3x per investigator, spending a clue each time).

It was rather tense, as we knew that letting the Organistget a hit on any of us would pretty much be driven insane. We had Minh going around soaking up clues for us, while Mark and Agnes kept the Organist occupied by having him engage Agnes so she could evade him, while Mark kept attacking when Agnes was lucky enough to get a clue or Minh made it back with her own stash. Somehow, Agnes managed to succeed on every single evade, and use her innate power to shoot down a few bhyakkee that came by, barely managing to survive with 1 sanity left, while Mark fished around for his beat cop and machette to break through the Organist's 5 combat and finish him off.

I'm pretty sure the scenario would have ended up much easier for us if we were playing with the correct Act card, since we could have had Minh prioritize on getting rid of doom from the spires and getting clues to spend on advancing the agenda while Mark took out bhyakkee and Agnes kept up her Benny Hill chase; the only wrinkle would have been Jordan appearing at the end of the second night, but I think Mark had enough firepower to take him out.

At the end we thought about replaying the scenario next time, but figured that if we were able to beat him to death on the "run away from him" side, we should've been just fine doing it normally, and with limited options to get together and play, we decided to call it a win and move on with the campaign.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Proulx
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
Quote:
We had a rather... odd experience with this scenario.


Us too! There must have been something in the air last night. We made exactly the same mistake playing the very same evening.

Our Lola-Yorick team normally rolls with the punches, but this is the first time I felt absolutely frustrated. Even after drawing an unprecedented 4 elder signs and succeeding on most of our pulls, we were still stifled at every turn. That's because we were taking on a unreasonable task. It felt like playing in expert mode.

To be fair, I'm the one who set up the game while my cohort who happened to switch the act did not have context to know there were two separate act 2s. I should have caught on, especially when scenario cards like "Twin Suns" or "Spires of Carcosa" were suddenly benign. But I was somewhat distracted looking after my kid.

Not that they had to, but to avoid possible confusion, I do wish they instructed during setup to just remove the extra act 2 card from play. It's not as if it would ever be needed.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
masonproulx wrote:
Quote:
We had a rather... odd experience with this scenario.


Us too! There must have been something in the air last night. We made exactly the same mistake playing the very same evening.

Our Lola-Yorick team normally rolls with the punches, but this is the first time I felt absolutely frustrated. Even after drawing an unprecedented 4 elder signs and succeeding on most of our pulls, we were still stifled at every turn. That's because we were taking on a unreasonable task. It felt like playing in expert mode.

To be fair, I'm the one who set up the game while my cohort who happened to switch the act did not have context to know there were two separate act 2s. I should have caught on, especially when scenario cards like "Twin Suns" or "Spires of Carcosa" were suddenly benign. But I was somewhat distracted looking after my kid.

Not that they had to, but to avoid possible confusion, I do wish they instructed during setup to just remove the extra act 2 card from play. It's not as if it would ever be needed.


Made the same mistake.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Danner
United States
Potsdam
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played through the doubt version of the scenario and enjoyed doing it much more than the conviction. I see what they were going for.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hylian_pirate wrote:
I admit we had a very lucky starting hand where two characters started with Leo de Luca and played him immediately thanks to the 8 starting resources.


Leo is a unique ally. You can only have one copy of him in play among all investigators.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.