Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Ellis
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi, so I'm working on a rail/transport game that uses a non traditional dice method to build railways. I was wondering if there are similar games/mechanics I could look are for inspiration on how to get past some of the issues I'm having.

I wanted the random nature of the dice to be contained into an input randomness system, not just output randomness.

So, each player starts the game with 5 dice, rolling them at the start of their turn, they are able to use each face to complete different actions, as well as not using dice, setting them aside to activate special abilities. Namely adding extra dice to their available pool for the next turn (up to a total of ten) and setting a die to a specific face.

I know that Scott Almes used a similar mechanic in Tiny Epic Galaxy so some ideas for less frustrating play I c ribbed from him, are there other such dice games that don't use a bunch of re-rolling to get what you need?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Pillai
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrada and Roll Player come to mind... though both are more puzzle type games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride: The Dice Expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like The Castles of Burgundy as a game that has just two dice, but there a ton of options you can do with each face, so the frustration of not rolling the right thing is mitigated somewhat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the railway topic, have you looked at Trains and Stations?

Roll for the Galaxy also has a sort of "if you don't use it, you can use it later" kind of thing going on, as well as adjusting other die rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Games, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mbmb
Have a look at Railroad Dice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Colony works a bit like this, with some drafting as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Euphoria uses dice as workers in a worker placement game. When you get your worker, you roll them and the pip value is how "smart" they are, which will effect what they do at some locations.
Dead of Winter also use dice as action allocations with your survivors. There is a great "watch it played" video on how that works.
+1 for Castles of Burgandy as we'll, it has a great action allocation die system.
Those are just a few from my collection and off the top of my head...hopefully they will help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds somewhat like various express games.
Bemusingly there is a Bindle Rails Express game. Bindle Rails Express

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Esbech
Denmark
Odense M
Danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like what you describe is similar to The Voyages of Marco Polo where you roll a number of dice and these allow you to do different actions. There is a bonus to rolling low and thus mitigating the fact that you could lose the game with a few bad rolls.

In the game I'm designing I use dice to randomise the value of the ressources. Where the dice represents tourists and their pips how stuffed their wallet is.

Another mechanic that I'm considering seeing if there's a game to be played with, so it is nowhere near thought through, is action selection of dice rolls, but you have to use them in order. Say you roll a 1, a 2, a 4, and two 5s. If you want the more powerful action on a 4 space, you would have to forfeit your two lower value actions. Another thought I've had with this is that you could use a 4 on a 2 pip action, but then get to do the action twice (like in Steam Punk Rally).

I've thought a lot about dice, despite the fact that I generally dislike the way they are used in most games. :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Kleinhenz
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Check out Troyes and its expansions. In addition to providing players with a ton of different ways to use the dice results they get there's some basic luck mitigation where you can pay to use another player's die to do an action.

It also has an interesting way of dividing the dice among players each round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.