Subject: Variant: Asymetrical powers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
LudoH LudoH
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

We like prosperity, but find that the game lacks a bit of variability to our taste, this is why I designed a small variant with variable powers to be assigned at the beginning of the game. All those abilities have been tested several times (typically 2-3 times) but mostly at two players, this post is made of two parts: a list of special powers, and a suggested auction mechanism (other auction mechanisms could of course be used). As the powers make the game easier it might be a good idea to start with less money (see below).

I - The special powers (each power can be used once per turn except stated otherwise)

Efficient Depolution: you can spend your 2 actions to remove 3 pollution discs

Investors: you can spend your 2 actions to get 300 euros

Intensive research project: You can spend one action + 100 euros to progress of two steps on the same research track

Balanced research: You can spend one action + 50 euros to progress of one steps on each research track

Waste recycling factory: Once in the game you can spend 2 actions to remove one pollution, from this point in time you produce one more electricity

Waste traffic: For one action you can obtain 250 euros, but you immediately add one pollution marker

Early research: Start the game with one research step of your choice

Low initial pollution: Start the game with two less pollution markers

Green objective: Score one more point if you have no pollution marker on the pollution track (and the score point event is triggered)

Efficient builders: This power is only valid from the 80's. If this tile is in play make sure new buildings are added ON THE EXTERNAL side of the adequate row. If you buy a building that has at least one building on the external side of this row (i.e. one more recent building), you consider that the building is one (small) step lower.
For example, if you would have to pay 200 euros to buy a building and the building is not the most external one of its row, then you pay only 100 euros.

Note: I have made a very simple file with naive drawings for the tiles, contact me if interested.

II - an auction mechanism for starting the game

Determine randomly a bidding order. The first player selects a tile and sets a price (s)he is willing to pay for the tile (0 is a valid price). Then players bid in the bidding order until one player obtain the tile. Then the first player (if (s)he did not obtain a tile) starts a bidding again (or the next player if the first one has a tile)... continue until each player has a tile, then allocate the starting money according to the bidding amount such that the player that has the least has 50 euros. For example, if A bids 100, B 0, and C 50, then A starts with 50, B with 150, and C with 100.
Playing order: From the player that has the least money to the one that has the most. In case of equality, the player that was last in the bidding order plays before.

I post here both to share those ideas for those that would be interested to use them to make their prosperity games more variable, and also in case somebody has feedback about the idea

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sporktopia Games
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the thought of some of these. One thing that kind of bugs me with the advanced side is that with each board representing a different country, they all behave exactly the same. Have you thought about assigning one of each of the advanced actions you propose to a specific country for use? I may have to give that a try myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LudoH LudoH
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No I personally preferred not to assign them to a country because I have more powers than boards, and I am not sure I want to pretend anything about the policy of these countries by assigning them a predefined power.

But of course, If you prefer to do it this way it could be fun. you just have to do a shortlist of powers, or give two possibilities for each country to increase replay-ability

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.