United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
Find me on the Pirates CSG VASSAL module
badge
It's a Pirates' Life for me!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's finally here! After hinting at it for months, I have completed work on the Rules Survey I've been wanting to do.

Rules Survey

This took me about 45 minutes to complete, but of course "your mileage may vary". I wanted it to be relatively comprehensive without getting into extreme detail on specific abilities and Pirate Code rulings.

Thank you so much for the valuable feedback. Let me know if you think there are questions I should add, or answer choices that would improve the survey. I plan to post the results at intervals such as 10 responses, or every 6 months, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a7xfanben
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
Find me on the Pirates CSG VASSAL module
badge
It's a Pirates' Life for me!
mbmbmbmbmb
At 25 responses so far, here are

The Results!

I decided to save myself a LOT of time and not take screenshots of each question like I did for the other surveys. I have (likely temporarily) eliminated the final question about your username to try and preserve the anonymity.

Very interesting stuff so far. You can see the results for yourself, so I won't go into extreme detail yet... but here are some of the highlights that I noticed.

-84% of respondents said they disliked at least some part of the rules.

-Most people think the game needs some rules changes but not too extreme (rules overhaul question). However, about a third of respondents (8/25) rated it at 6 or higher out of 10 for needing a rules overhaul.

-I was a bit surprised to see that more people had trouble learning explore actions than shoot actions.

-Both in the boarding question (who should choose what happens after a boarding party?) and throughout the survey it was clear that the ramming and boarding mechanics need at least some change, with only 3 respondents wanting the boarding result rules to stay the same.

-Only 5/25 people think moving and shooting should be combined in the same action, compared to 10/25 wanting moving and exploring to be combined in the same action.

Some of the questions with "Other" inevitably got a ton of responses that make the pie charts a little confusing, but it's good to look at different perspectives.

The whole sea creature vs. sea monster thing continued to cause confusion. 60% said they should stay as separate rules, but then a lot of people still admitted confusion and issues within those rules in the following question.

50 points seems like a better build total, with that getting the highest number of votes and edging 40 points so far.

I was a bit surprised to see how divided the players are on ships carrying more points' worth of crew than the ship costs. 12 of 25 would be in favor of changing that rule so the point cap space would be irrelevant. Interesting to think about....

I am one of the few who think the linking rules and options are confusing, but perhaps it's from all the games I've played and the stuff I've seen (as compared to a simple link you would be more likely to use in a 40 point game). I personally feel like you sometimes have to read a Pirate Code entry on an ability or rule to know just how complex it can get.

Whether or not treasure is revealed when unloaded at HI's is another thing that has had a completely split response.

Handling ties was what confused me the most. I don't see any good from eliminating tiebreakers and "letting the game end as a tie". However, even though that option received the most votes, it doesn't have a majority overall, so about 2/3 of respondents would still be in favor of some kind of tiebreaker. Perhaps a discussion for another day....

"Which keyword has caused you the most confusion" had an array of responses that did not always pertain to keywords, but things that can submerge still looks like the most-mentioned problem.

There is an incredibly perfect split right now between wind vs. return fire. 84% of respondents are willing to try each, and each has the same amount of votes for which one would be better to implement!

Most people would prefer the theme to stay the same or cater towards history more (versus only a few people in favor of adding more fantasy stuff).

In general, the things needing the most attention for potential changes are the ramming/boarding rules, sea creature stuff, and adjusting costs of abilities.

~~~~~

At this point there is already a great data set to look at. As more responses eventually come in, I think it would be worth looking into making a "community ruleset" for us going forward that would address many of the issues we have with the rules. It certainly wouldn't please everybody, but it would still be an improvement.

Now that the results are out there and people can begin discussing them, I plan to start a new thread series (on Miniature Trading at least) highlighting specific things from the survey. These will be mostly some various intriguing long-answer responses that I found most plausible or interesting. I will post them one at a time so it's more easily digestible and easy to follow along with each thing being discussed. Everybody can make their own threads as well if they want, or you can post your thoughts on the survey and its responses here in this thread.

Thanks again for taking the survey, and expect to see some Rules-related threads on Miniature Trading soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.