Subject: Does this build have a weakness? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mercutio Wycliffe
msg tools
mbmbmb
Enterprise-E (32 SP)
JLP 9 (6 SP)
Pavel Chekov [Excelsior] [Reliant] (3 SP)
Photon Torpedoes [New Starter] (2SP)
TOTAL : 43 SP

The obvious advantages are that this ship will consistently throw out 6 damage every round, retains its mobility, can use a rear arc, has decent staying power, and a high captain skill makes it hard to target with actions.

Assuming Faction Pure, no resources, and no OP prize content, is there a good counter strategy against this? Ideally the counter strategy should not invest more than 43 SP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcial
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mb
Pavel Chekov from [Excelsior] (3 SP)?
My Excelsior do not have Chekov, there are another Excelsior?
I have Chekov in Enterprise, Enterprise Refit and Reliant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercutio Wycliffe
msg tools
mbmbmb
Reliant, sorry. Got confused by the uniforms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solid hitter, has the action economy to hand out 6 hits per torpedo. It doesn't get an attack at range 1 in the secondary arc, but that can be played around.
The action economy hinges on the captain, effects that disable or discard will wreck its day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson Gajewski
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Drop Zone Droids
badge
Combat deck builder on customizable hex battlefield.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the build concept. Since you have Chekov, perhaps throw in his new combo comrade, the Federation Helmsman (3SP Grissom) to avoid any dangerous firing arcs and/or setup your torpedoes. And to top off the ship at a nice 50SP add the Talent The Needs of the Many (4SP Enterprise Refit) so you can sacrifice said Helmsman to stay in the fight a bit longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
Scotland
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
Same weakness every narrow arc ship has, get it out of arc and it's having a rough time..

Also anything that ganks cards can neuter it as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
It hits like a freight train but has big blind spots. As was asked, here is how you counter that ship:

Tholian Vessel
Karr
Lure
Faked Messages
29SP

Basically, you don’t get a shot until turn 4 or later with it. I can hammer the rest of the fleet or focus it down without it fighting effectively.

Another option:
Alpha Hunter
Karr
Stalking Mode
Improved Deflector Screens
Make Picard a skill 8 and throw 6-7 dice shots. Use the ship barrel roll for arc dodging. Not a sure fire win, but this build is also just generally awesome. Take it to 45 and add Lure and make certain that the Ente-E doesn’t get an opening shot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercutio Wycliffe
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the input everyone. To put this into context, I mainly play this game casually, so everyone is using my collection and playing as one of the 5 main factions, sometimes with a random draft of Indie/MU cards added to their pool and a random variation of fleet sizes. My concern is that these new torpedoes may have broken my game. I just ran this combo against a friend using the McCallister C-5 Nebula as our setting, and he agreed that the new Torps should essentially be banned from my table after Picard one-shotted a Valdore Class. The supposed blind spots were no problem, and even if they were, there's plenty of room to slap on a Dorsal Phaser Array. My fleet took more damage from the nebula than anything else.

By comparison, I used to sometimes use this combo with the old Quantum Torpedoes that cost 6 SP, for a total of 47 SP. That build was formidable, but not OP. It could potentially throw 6 hits, but a poor roll or a good defense could also negate the whole thing. When you are guaranteed a perfect roll each round, there's no real reason not to run that combo, which means everyone else must plan to counter it. I know that there are counters, but I'm not sure they're enough to sufficiently balance it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
As one of the main factions, here is a fun but (updates) oldie that wrecks Feds

Martok8 (IKS Neghvar) on anything

I.K.S. Ves Batlh [IKS Ves Batlh] (13)
Klingon [IKS Ch'tang] (0)
Klingon Boarding Party [I.K.S. Negh'var] (5)
Projected Stasis Field [I.K.S. Gr'oth] (5)

Shut the E’s (or any target ship’s) shields off and prevent it from firing. If the ship has a lot of upgrades, use the second action granted by Martin to disable everything with a boarding party.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercutio Wycliffe
msg tools
mbmbmb
I thought about Martok, Worf [Rotaran?], and Sabotage alongside the PSF. The difficulty is getting close enough to use it, although Worf helps since Picard will likely move before Martok. If Picard stops short, you're basically sunk.

I may keep the new torpedoes around just to see how an actual counter strategy works in practice. I know the Dominion has some options, including a new Vorta captain that negates captain abilities. The Borg have some obvious options, but also some obvious difficulties. In not sure about Romulan options besides the Thalaron Weapon, which is really expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.