Subject: Magazine games with little or no errata rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eren Koyunoglu
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I am looking to expand my magazine game collection on any topic or period and looking for some recommendations. My only concern is to find games with better development and with little or no errata. Any recommendations?

Best,
Eren
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Command Magazine back-issues. They were mostly well-developed games. Dozens of excellent titles and most available pretty cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
● Sean ●
France
Paris et Normandie
Australian nationality
flag msg tools
● UNDRASK | Viking and Norse culturally inspired art ●
badge
Raven
mbmbmbmbmb
G'day mate,

Vae Victis is an obvious choice for good magazine games and I have really enjoyed Bautzen 1945.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lehr
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Multi-Man Publishing magazine games are usually very well developed. Here are some links:

http://www.multimanpublishing.com/Products/tabid/58/Category...

https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Operations_Special_Magaz...

https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Special_Ops#
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eren Koyunoglu
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. Specific game recommendations would be good too. About Vae Victis, I speak a little German but no French alas. If the games are in English would check them out of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
● Sean ●
France
Paris et Normandie
Australian nationality
flag msg tools
● UNDRASK | Viking and Norse culturally inspired art ●
badge
Raven
mbmbmbmbmb
ErenKoyunoglu wrote:
Thank you. Specific game recommendations would be good too. About Vae Victis, I speak a little German but no French alas. If the games are in English would check them out of course.

The magazine is in French naturally but the games have rules in English on their website for free download. The maps and counters are very easy to navigate even if the minimal text is in French. Although not magazine games, the Vae Victis folio style games such as those in the Jours de Gloire Series are excellent value with the newer additions to the series with rules in French AND English included (otherwise there are generally French or English editions for the older ones). Note: the Jours de Gloire series is released by Vae Victis, Ludifolie and Canons en Carton depending on the title - though I'm getting away from the magazine games theme here.

I can always help you track some down if you're interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob brennan
Ireland
Dublin 6W
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Autumn For Barbarossa
Seems v well balanced. There is an errata counter for the historical OOB but this will have little impact on gameplay.
I've played it and it was a cracker - also in print.
rgds
rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Edwards
United Kingdom
Durham
County Durham
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Together down the ages we have fought the long defeat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Strongly agree over Vae Victis (including their folio games, like Le Lion et l'Epée and Avec Infini Regret).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcszarka wrote:
Check out Command Magazine back-issues. They were mostly well-developed games. Dozens of excellent titles and most available pretty cheap.

I second this. A really great one is Victory at Midway issue # 14 Jan/Feb 1992. Rules are very well done and clear as day. My favorite magazine game. Many of the Command Mag's games are great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. SCHMITT
France
Alsace
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some excellent games in Battles magazine, like Wagram, A week in Hell or Race to Berlin.

Vae Victis : avoid the older issues, too often plagued by errata. And check the games first, quality is VERY variable even in the same series ( JdG for instance : Zurich or Marengo are OK, Pyramides or Austerlitz are just boring and unbalanced ). Some of the lamest games I played were actually published in this mag, along other titles that were really worth the try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also a vote for Vae Victis here, I just ordered 4 recent(ish) issues from them last night (WAIT ... didn't I say I was NOT actively buying more mag games .... shake ). Their games, particularly the visuals, are consistently highly-polished.

They do occasionally update one, for instance, Le Temps de As 2 came out recently (only 18mos ago is 'recently', right?) in #129 (and is still available!)

EDIT to add: Based on the above I went though and reviewed XTR's Command run. Man, a lot of good stuff. I remember seeing the issues, along with S&Ts, on a newsstand—and not being able to afford them at the time!—back in the day.

A LOT of great, solid games that have stood the test of time appeared in Command, including a few that were reincarnated and updated.

BUT, Command had a similar-yet-opposite problem noted re: Vae Victis. VV started weak, got better, and continues to shine. Command started strong, stayed strong, but then stumbled and faded. Approach those later issues with caution and skepticism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
Deathride: Mars-la-Tour 1870 has little to no errata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lehr
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Some specific MMP magazine games that have little errata that I have played or seem well recommended...

Iwo Jima: Rage Against the Marines
Ukraine '44
Bravery in the Sand
Storm Over Normandy
Autumn For Barbarossa

Some are still available from MMP while others are sold out, so you will need to find them elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
ErenKoyunoglu wrote:

Sunrise of Victory
Inchon: MacArthur's Gambit
Budapest '45
Lion of Ethiopia
When Tigers Fight
When Eagles Fight
Victory at Midway

But really almost all the early ones were good games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
All three of my ATO magazine efforts - Not War But Murder, Birth of a Legend, and Circle of Fire - have very little errata and are well reviewed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eren Koyunoglu
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about some S&T games. Nicaragua is a very fine game with nearly no errata. Any recommendations there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eren Koyunoglu
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Already have Not War But Murder and Victory at Midway. Thank you though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lind
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
My favorite response to anyone's question about how something happened.
badge
Really, Mom, I was just sittin' here mindin' my own business!
mbmbmbmbmb
SPI's A Bridge Too Far: Arnhem - a classic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aardvarkius wrote:
SPI's A Bridge Too Far: Arnhem - a classic

But not a magazine game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
Are you looking for magazine games because you like the magazine that comes with them or is it the size of game you are interested in? Plenty of games in same size range as magazine games, often in folio or ziplock bag, that would meet your criteria. The Arnhem just mentioned being an example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eren Koyunoglu
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmiller1093 wrote:
Are you looking for magazine games because you like the magazine that comes with them or is it the size of game you are interested in? Plenty of games in same size range as magazine games, often in folio or ziplock bag, that would meet your criteria. The Arnhem just mentioned being an example.

The game and the magazine to expand my knowledge. Also not to miss a good game released only as a magazine game but not as a regular boxed game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ErenKoyunoglu wrote:
How about some S&T games. Nicaragua is a very fine game with nearly no errata. Any recommendations there?

Well, from World at War I enjoyed

The Rhineland War, 1936-37

and

France Fights On
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Fair
Scotland
Inverness
Inverness-Shire
flag msg tools
Sicily: The Race for Messina S&T89. Very little errata, and a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eren Koyunoglu
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcszarka wrote:
ErenKoyunoglu wrote:

Well, from World at War I enjoyed

The Rhineland War, 1936-37

and

France Fights On

Have The Rhineland War, 1936-37, will check out France Fights On. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Breen
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with other reviewers that "Autumn for Barbarossa" (designed by Dean Essig & Hans Kishel, contained in MMP's Special Ops magazine, 2017 edition), which covers the end of Operation Barbarossa for Army Group Centre & specifically the battles around Smolensk in Autumn 1941, appears to be an excellent magazine game. It has one of the highest BGG ratings out of MMP's Standard Combat Series (SCS) games (average rating 7.9 - ie way higher than most magazine games; most people love it). It is also still in print & available from MMP direct and also from various games sellers. Also the smallish map and the relative simplicity of the SCS system means that it is a very good intro level wargame - as well as being a good, well-balanced & exciting game in its own right. [https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/232139/autumn-barbarossa]

Another magazine wargame which has high BGG reviews (average BGG rating 7.2) is "The Pocket at Falaise" (2009) by Ted Raicer in "Against the Odds" magazine. This is just about the only game available on the Falaise Pocket (Aug 1944) in which much of the German army on the Western Front was trapped after the Allied breakout from Normandy. [https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/38837/pocket-falaise].

If you are interested in WW2 or modern naval warfare, then options include:

1. "Midway Solitaire" (World at War mag 2017, designed by Harvey & Miranda). Actually covers Midway, Solomon Islands, and Aleutians et al Japanese campaigns in early 1942 - the A.I. system handles Japanese navy - the solitaire player is the US navy. Meant to be a good system, but apparently you have to read the rules carefully to get them correct. BGG rating 6.9. [https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/182409/midway-solitaire]

2. "Imperial Sunset: The Battle of Leyte Gulf 1944" (Against the Odds mag, 2006), which is a moderate level complexity simulation of the largest naval battle in history, the Battle of Leyte Gulf, fought from October 23-26 1944 as the US returned to the Philippines, landing on the island of Leyte. BGG av. rating 6.5. [https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/23614/imperial-sunset-ba...]

3. "Red Dragon / Green Crescent - Naval Warfare in the 21st Century" (Modern War mag. 2012). Designed by Bruce Costello. BGG rating 7.1 - there are some rules errata. One of the more expensive magazine games (GBP or Euro 45-50). [https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/72200/red-dragon-green-c...] This game is a development of the also-highly-rated Strategy & Tactics 2008 magazine game "Red Dragon Rising: The Coming War With China".

Finally, though it is not magazine game, "Kasserine: Baptism of Fire" - a Folio (ziplock bag) game from Decision Games (2010) is a good introductory wargame using the simple "Fire & Movement" system - I had great fun playing it solitaire. North Africa - Rommel attacks the newly-landed rooky US troops in the Kasserine pass. The game's cost (at ca. GBP or Euro 19-20) is very low & is cheaper than most magazine games. Its av. BGG rating is only 6.2 but I rate it a 7.8. A short history of the battle is provided.
[https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/73243/kasserine-baptism-...] Other desert-warfare Folio games like Crusader & Cauldron should also be good.

Please note that of the above games, the only ones I own are "Kasserine: Baptism of Fire" and "Midway Solitaire".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.