Based on a thorough review of the rules and some brief full-game play-testing with two-people, my wife and I found the following rule modifications effective in making the Power Struggle work for two people.
1. When gaining influence points, gain 1 influence point for owning the chairman, and 1 influence point for every 2 managers on the board of directors.
REASON: With two people, each player will have a higher number of board of director members and a higher chairman ratio. This makes the influence track advance too quickly, so the point gains should be reduced.
2. In the supply of shares, start the game with two blocks of each share number except for the 7 share. Only a single 7 share should be available at the start of the game. Remove an additional 6 share if this is not competitive enough.
REASON: In a three player game, the share supply starts with 2 of each share block number. It should be more limited in a 2 player game. Removing the second 7 makes share competition slightly more competitive.
3. When offering or accepting a bribe, gain 2 corruption points.
REASON: With the 2 players, fewer corruption point opportunities occur than in a 3-5 player game. The track needs to advance more quickly.
4. Only a single bribe may be attempted. When a bribe offer is rejected, the player who rejects the bribe must pay the offering player half the value of the offered money. Minimum bribe offer is now 100,000 pinats. This occurs in addition to the lost employee.
Example: Fred offers George 500,000 pinats to steal the development privilege. George rejects. George looses an employee of Fred's choice and pays Fred 250,000 pinats.
REASON: In a two player game, there is no incentive to offer bribe values higher than 50,000 pinats. Bribe value is a fun element, so this modification makes it of significance in a two-player game.
5. The development "bribed" privilege should be changed to the following:
"Use 1 action to entice 1 employee away from the opposing player. 2 additional employees may be taken from the supply pile and placed."
REASON: The original bribed development privilege allows taking 3 employees from 3 different players, which can't be done in a two-player game.
Please let me know how these changes work for you!