11 Posts

Stronghold (2nd edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: How do you beat the red turtle swarm tactic? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bad Mojo
msg tools
mbmb
Watched a game between two friends last night. The Invader built a couple of Mantalets for the first couple rounds and slowly held his red pieces (Trolls?) in reserve. Then by round 5, he rushed them in to the two weakest parts of the wall sections and there was nothing the Defender could do.

It looks like there are 3 counters the defender could have tried including red cauldrons, path traps, and cannons. But I don't think that would have been enough to hold the force off. Each of these only kills one Troll.

What if the Invader does not bother building anything and only uses Resources and Maneuvers sending the forces in weak to strong? How do you beat these strategies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonic Hedgehog
Austria
Wels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
never tried any of these tactics, so far i only played as invader.

but i don't think these approaches will work against an experienced defender.
if you focus all the trolls in the same rampart, the defender can prepare accordingly - trap, cauldron + sharpshooter would be three 100% kills per round. if things go out of hand one could still use unearthly glare.

Also i don't think the invader can get strong enough to breach the castle if he does not use the other invader actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bad Mojo
msg tools
mbmb
Sorry for my poor explanation. The Invader did attack 3 different wall sections. One round he sent Orcs in to blow up the wall. Next round he sent 4 Trolls and 1 Goblin to attack that wall, but the Defender used the Cathedral Glare to stop that section. The other side of the board he sent 5 Trolls to attack another wall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The defender have to plan a few rounds ahead always! And as said above, there is various ways to deal with trolls, actually there is various ways to deal with everything.

And the only way for the invader to win is to put heavy pressured in 2-3 areas, this is the winning move, is to overwhelm the defender. Puttin pressure in only 1 spot is insta loss for the invader.

The defender should have planned harder, but anyway, one player will always win, this time the invader just played better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lone Boardgamer
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
I wonder myself, how to play for defender. Seems much harder than for invader. I've tried to play solo for 2 players and won both times on a 3rd round tops. With maneuvers you can basically overwhelm the stronghold in 2 rounds. But I was lucky for invader last time and from 28 units I took from the bag only 6 were goblins. Had about 8 trolls as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lone Boardgamer
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
jooice wrote:
Solo?

Yeah, why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you play solo?
This game is all about incredible planning and misdirection.
It is kind of like playing chess against yourself, you know whats coming...

Unless there is some solo variant that I have missed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lone Boardgamer
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
jooice wrote:
How do you play solo?
This game is all about incredible planning and misdirection.
It is kind of like playing chess against yourself, you know whats coming...

Unless there is some solo variant that I have missed.

Every 2-player game can be played solo. You just play one for both, trying to be honest and don't take any side. Note my name, it says it all. I play all games solo first to find out the basic tactics. Some games are quite hard to play solo though and Stronghold is one of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gitis
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I play games solo too, but only in order to learn the game before introducing others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lone Boardgamer
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
agiorgitis wrote:
I play games solo too, but only in order to learn the game before introducing others.

Yes, that's what I'm doing myself as well. But depending on how good is the game and if its concept allows you to play for two players, I may play a few times, because I simply like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.