Charterstone» Forums » General

Subject: Charterstone as a gateway to Charterstone? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ahmad Siddiqi
Pakistan
Lahore
flag msg tools
I was planning to get this game to play with my wife and gaming friends (who I know would enjoy it); however, on reading more I'm wondering whether it might be worth trying with my brother (and his girlfriend). Both of them are potentially interested in playing board games but aren't gamers per se. Since we don't really do a lot of activities together, it could be a good bonding experience - if it's a good fit.

I've heard of Charterstone being compared to Caylus, Ora et Labora, etc. but haven't played any of those games, so let me know what you think based on the following information. My brother has a short attention span for board games - I would assume an hour or so would be his limit. He does also not like games that are too complex or require a lengthy rules explanation to start.

He played Aztec Market once and thought it was about the right length and complexity. He's enjoyed playing Hanabi with friends a bunch of times. He's into Scrabble. He was attracted by Gloomhaven and asked for a primer on how to play it, but he wouldn't realistically have been able to invest much time into it. And he liked the legacy mechanic of Risk Legacy and bought it to play with a cousin (but they only ever played one or two games because the cousin didn't get into it.) (Before you think he plays a lot of games, all this is his gaming experience over the span of several years.)

Would Charterstone make sense for him? I'm thinking if it's easy to get into and quick to play at first, he might give it a try, and then the fun of discovery might encourage him to come back for as the complexity ramps up. I would ordinarily just go forward and try this without asking, but there's a tradeoff: he and my wife are not actually going to be around at the same time, so if I start playing with him, she will miss out on the campaign or a large chunk of it (could always play again with her with the recharge pack, but I don't know if I'd then have an unfair advantage and if the sense of discovery will be lessened for her since I've already experienced it). We play a lot of games together, so it's not a big deal if we don't play one, but I would want the sacrifice to be worth it

Thanks for any advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would have him play with your wife and friends and if he loses interest let him drop. You can always replace him with an automa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmad Siddiqi
Pakistan
Lahore
flag msg tools
They're not going to be in the same place at the same time. Basically, they both travel a lot, and he's based in a different country. He's coming for the month of Feb while she doesn't get back till March. Don't know when all three of us will be in the same place next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
MASK Crusaders... working overtime... fighting crime... fighting crime!!! Secret Raiders...
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think Charterstone would be a good game to introduce to new gamers. It starts out very simple and rules are added as the game develops. I am 9 games into the campaign and I do not find the game super complex. The game is unique in that you learn it as you play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molokov (AU)
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure this is a good starting point for someone who's not up to more complex games.

Our group has just played Game 3, and we're all reasonably experienced at games (and mid-weight worker placements like Viticulture too) and even afte r just 3 games, there's *so* many rules that we've unlocked that it's a little difficult to get them all straight in our heads. Most of them are fairly straightforward, it's just a matter of the *number* of rules to remember. The rulebook got passed around a fair bit this last game.

So given that an hour is his limit and you aren't sure he likes complex games, Charterstone might not be for him. So far each of our games has taken 1.5 hours minimum, although I do understand an hour is about average for the games - it's just when you've got a reasonable amount to learn it can take longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krasnye Teni
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perrin2017 wrote:
You can always replace him with an automa.

An interesting line of reasoning. Do you think it could be applied to other aspects of life outside of board gaming?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmad Siddiqi
Pakistan
Lahore
flag msg tools
Lol!

Thanks for the opinions, guys. Too bad this thread is getting buried under others. I'm so spoilt by Jamie I was waiting for him to weigh in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
KrasnyeTeni wrote:
Perrin2017 wrote:

An interesting line of reasoning. Do you think it could be applied to other aspects of life outside of board gaming?

I have some coworkers that this might work with. I need to design an automa deck and test it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KrasnyeTeni wrote:
Perrin2017 wrote:

We don’t expect that kind of functionality in our Automas until 2021.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perrin2017 wrote:
KrasnyeTeni wrote:
Perrin2017 wrote:

I have some coworkers that this might work with. I need to design an automa deck and test it out.

If you try it, I’d love to get a guest post about it on my blog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam R
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
If he’s not a gamer it’s hard to tell if he’d like.

Charterstone is incredibly simple for about 2 or 3 games and while yes little by little it’ll ramp up in difficulty because of stickers coming on to the board and other things adding to the amount of choices you can make on your turn.

So he might like the first couple of games but after that the game will have a lot going on. So I think you’ll lose him.

And while yes, the rules and new components are introduced at your pace based on how quickly you build (sticker) the board and open crates (unlocking new stuff) but that is THE point of the game. And players are not gonna go at a slow pace doing these two things because it’s super fun to sticker the board and add new stuff! Plus it gives you points!

Also the fact that this game at its core is very euro. It’s literally go to one spot get one or two things, then next turn trade it in for another one or two things, then next turn go here and get points for everything you’re trading in. And yes it’s got lots of fun little mechanism and very creative little things that others games have either done very little of or none at all. It’s main mechanism is as euro as you can get. And a lot of people especially none gamers usually don’t get into that.

So in my opinion, no I don’t think he’ll like it after the initial games.
Again this is my opinion based on my own experiences with none gamers. But of course you’d be the best judge of if he’ll like it. You can always just play the first couple of games and if you need to drop him the game won’t suffer much, the adding and dropping players system is actually pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmad Siddiqi
Pakistan
Lahore
flag msg tools
Thanks, that's very helpful. Just one thing I wanted to clarify: he had been a gamer (computer games of all kinds,d&d) back in the day, just doesn't have time/patience for a lot of that sort of thing much any more.

If he tires of it after a couple of games, it should be easy enough to switch groups without my wife missing much. Or if he plays all the way through, that's great too. I guess the worst outcome is if I play with him and he tires about halfway through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.