Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Game 5 - Possibly Best Deck with Ron rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark F
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
My 2 daughters (9 and 7) and I were playing game 5 as Hermione, Ron, and Neville (I was Ron). We focused Ron on Allies, Hermione on Spells, and Neville on healing (and obviously break from those whenever someone can buy a really good ally, spell, or item).

Very early in the game I got Cho, Trewlawney and Lockhart and then got a Crystal Ball, Reparo, and Hogwarts a History. After this I pretty much exclusively bought allies (Ginny, McGonagall, Shacklebolt were the next 3 I bought). I found this combination to be insanely deadly.

Trewlawney, Lockhart, Chang, Crystal Ball, and Reparo collectively allowed me to cycle through 9 cards in my deck (drawing back 5). Along with rolling the Ravenclaw die for Cho which was 50/50 I get draw a card and Hogwarts A History where I could choose Ravenclaw Die which was another 50/50 I get draw a card.

This basically guaranteed I would get my Bertie Botts card every hand. And depending on how early in the hand I got it (whether or not I actually needed to use some combo of Cho, Trewlawney, and Lockhart to get to it) ... I then started raking in the attacks because of the Bertie Botts + allies. There were 2 hands where I started getting some of the allies a second time because of the 5 cards I was dealt and because I cycled through my entire deck. For example ... Ginny earned me 4 attack in combo with Bertie Bottes because I drew her a second (i.e., play her first and then drew enough cards that I needed to reshuffle my deck and drew her again). On the final turn I got like 11-12 attacks and wiped out Voldemort in 1 turn.

I know it was just pure luck to get all of those cards so early in the game for Ron ... but it was so ridiculous it almost felt like cheating. Definitely learned the value of being able to cycle through your deck with allies if you are Ron.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Fletcher
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mgfinl1 wrote:
...There were 2 hands where I started getting some of the allies a second time because of the 5 cards I was dealt and because I cycled through my entire deck...

Gotta be careful there; the game rules actually prevent you from drawing the same card twice that way. When you play a card for its action/effect, it doesn’t go straight to your discard. Instead, it gets set aside in sort of a “used cards” zone. Then, at the end of the turn, everything in that used cards zone and your hand go to the discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikki Ebright
Netherlands
Centennial
Colorado (CO)
flag msg tools
badge
New Avatar! So much Excite! Photo credit to Debbie Ohi, who is Awesome!
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBoxmaker wrote:
mgfinl1 wrote:
...There were 2 hands where I started getting some of the allies a second time because of the 5 cards I was dealt and because I cycled through my entire deck...

Gotta be careful there; the game rules actually prevent you from drawing the same card twice that way. When you play a card for its action/effect, it doesn’t go straight to your discard. Instead, it gets set aside in sort of a “used cards” zone. Then, at the end of the turn, everything in that used cards zone and your hand go to the discard pile.

We use the term "clipboard" from Copycat as a place where cards go that have been used that round and are destined for the discard pile but don't go there yet, in case you need to cycle your discard pile that turn. Then at the end of your turn, in the cleanup phase, the clipboard makes it to your discards.

Still, sounds like a pretty awesome time and now I want to go grab those cards and give it a try! Thank you for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wish the designers would have stated that cards played during a turn go to an "in play" area.
You play a card on your turn, and it then goes to the "in play" area, then at the end of your turn, all cards from the "in play" area (as well as any unplayed cards remaining in your hand) are placed in the discard pile (though neither of these actions are actual "discards", thus not triggering benefits or penalties for discarding).

Not only would this clear up the mistake of people cycling these played cards back into their deck and replaying them the same turn, but it would also help in accounting for other card benefits such as:
- "if you defeat a Villian/Creature/whatever this turn, gain (bonus)" If you had already defeated an enemy when you play the card, you take the bonus right away. Otherwise, if you defeat an enemy later in the turn, the card is still in your "in play" area so it can remind you to take the bonus then
- cards like Ron's Bertie Botts Beans, which give you an attack for each Ally played previously during your turn, as well as any played for the rest of your turn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Köppen
Sweden
Nybro
Småland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does say in the year 1 rulebook gameplay steps though that:

Quote:
As you play out cards, set them to the side to indicate that they have been played.
p8 - Step 3

and
Quote:
Place all cards played this turn in your discard pile.
p10 - Step 4

I'd say the rulebook is pretty clear on this, played cards don't go into discard pile until "Step 4 - End your turn" of the gameplay sequence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark F
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Sounds like I was messing up the rule 2 ways. The way I was doing was to play a card into the discard pile and since I had already played it, did not give myself credit for Bertie Botts since I played it before I drew Bertie Botts.

Really I should have put all the cards into a pile, and any Ally I played that turn would get the Bertie Botts effect even if I played it before I drew Bertie Botts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mgfinl1 wrote:
Really I should have put all the cards into a pile, and any Ally I played that turn would get the Bertie Botts effect even if I played it before I drew Bertie Botts.

essentially yes. you'd get the attack for any previous ally played when you played the Bertie Botts, and then any additional ally played after the Bertie Botts would also generate an attack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(Year six spoilers blacked out.)

Rule errors aside, this strategy has nothing to do with Ron. Card draw is probably the most powerful ability in your deck, so any time you've set a player up where 1/3 to 1/2 of their deck is card draw, you just need to drop a few powerful cards in the middle of it and watch it go. In particular, I've had a similar deck to the one you describe with Hermione and Elder Wand which actually more powerful than what you are doing. I've similarly setup Luna or Neville with massive card draw and nothing but healing cards. With the right setup, you can usually fully heal an entire party of four in a single turn. Drop Advanced Potions into the same deck and you can start cycling other player's decks at the same time.

Its great that you've figured this out, just don't bottle neck your thinking about how to use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Morris
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
but it was so ridiculous it almost felt like cheating.

My rule of thumb: if it feels too good to be true, double check the rules to see what I'm doing wrong. If I'm getting crushed I do the same thing, but I'm usually just playing poorly in those cases!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark F
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Definitely agree that this would be a good idea.

I re-read the rules more closely. It does seem like you can buy a new card during you turn which immediately goes in the discard pile. And in the right set of circumstances (I.e., needing to still draw cards after a purchase is made) you could need to shuffle that pile enabling you to get something you bought in the same turn.

Do others read that differently?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick V
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mgfinl1 wrote:
Definitely agree that this would be a good idea.

I re-read the rules more closely. It does seem like you can buy a new card during you turn which immediately goes in the discard pile. And in the right set of circumstances (I.e., needing to still draw cards after a purchase is made) you could need to shuffle that pile enabling you to get something you bought in the same turn.

I believe you're reading that correctly.

This is also where some of your cards that allow you to place cards on top of your deck can shine. You play some of your cards to get the influence you need to purchase said card, including the one that lets you place it on top of your deck, then play whatever cards you have that let you draw said card, and lo and behold, your new card is there ready to play immediately.

As others have pointed out in other threads as well, it's also possible with sufficient card draw to take a card's discard effect multiple times in a turn. Discard a Protego on your turn relatively early on to a card effect, have to shuffle to repopulate your draw pile and draw the Protego again... and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mgfinl1 wrote:

Yes, purchased cards go into the discard pile right away, and thus could possibly be played later in that same turn due to card cycling. (it is even more likely if using card effects that put certain purchased cards on the top of the draw deck instead of the discard, like Hermione's Time Turner)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.