Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Clans of Caledonia» Forums » General

Subject: Clans or Dinosaur island? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kadian O'Reilly
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m posting on DI page also, I’m hoping some fellow gamers have both games.
I play board games with the family normally 3-4 players & I have to Pretty much know the game rules before we play our first learning game.
My wife & children like fun games like Ticket to ride, Alien frontiers and Clank and so on but I want to get them in to a few deeper games so which would be suited best which is better to teach with easier learning curve? We live in a Ireland UK and visited Scotland many times so the theme of Clans is great but we also like all the Jurasic park films. Thank you in advance for any advise. I would love both games but I would never get them both to the table.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reddish22
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While I vastly prefer Clans, I think based on your description Dinosaur Island will be a much better fit. It is quite a bit lighter than Clans, and the fun theme will pull more family gamers in.
5 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kadian O'Reilly
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
While I vastly prefer Clans, I think based on your description Dinosaur Island will be a much better fit. It is quite a bit lighter than Clans, and the fun theme will pull more family gamers in.

Thank you Kolby this is helping me form the correct decision.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avery Bailey
United States
Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Clans, and I think it is significantly cleaner design. I wouldn't say either game is particularly "kid friendly" on the concepts/strategies. Dino Island is more straight forward on how to score points, but also harder to come from behind. I think Dino Island will have more of the "look at my awesome park full of T-Rex and Roller Coasters" which can be a nice consolation prize while losing. Clans gives me more moments of "look how clever I am" as you uncover the puzzle of how the board, the market, your neighbors, and the contracts interact.

I have a half dozen DI games and about 20 Clans games.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LJ
Canada
Stoney Creek
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Does availability factor into your decision at all?
I ask because it does for my family. Clans was definitely on my list but it's so elusive and we can't get any answers about its future availability in Canada, so it's no longer an option for us.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kadian O'Reilly
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LJplays wrote:
Does availability factor into your decision at all?
I ask because it does for my family. Clans was definitely on my list but it's so elusive and we can't get any answers about its future availability in Canada, so it's no longer an option for us.


Clans is readily available now in UK & Dinosaur Island is available on preorder. It's a shame I see quite a few comments on here from people living in Canada having to wait longer on games & paying more for them with higher shipping costs and so on.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Mononen
Finland
Kerava
flag msg tools
We nostalgically watch "Hocus Pocus"!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
While I vastly prefer Clans, I think based on your description Dinosaur Island will be a much better fit. It is quite a bit lighter than Clans, and the fun theme will pull more family gamers in.
I would echo Kolby's response. Clans is the better game, but it is not necessarily the game that you start introducing children to heavier game mechanics with.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kadian wrote:
I’m posting on DI page also, I’m hoping some fellow gamers have both games.
I play board games with the family normally 3-4 players & I have to Pretty much know the game rules before we play our first learning game.
My wife & children like fun games like Ticket to ride, Alien frontiers and Clank and so on but I want to get them in to a few deeper games so which would be suited best which is better to teach with easier learning curve? We live in a Ireland UK and visited Scotland many times so the theme of Clans is great but we also like all the Jurasic park films. Thank you in advance for any advise. I would love both games but I would never get them both to the table.



What's the age group?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kadian O'Reilly
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
patox wrote:
kadian wrote:
I’m posting on DI page also, I’m hoping some fellow gamers have both games.
I play board games with the family normally 3-4 players & I have to Pretty much know the game rules before we play our first learning game.
My wife & children like fun games like Ticket to ride, Alien frontiers and Clank and so on but I want to get them in to a few deeper games so which would be suited best which is better to teach with easier learning curve? We live in a Ireland UK and visited Scotland many times so the theme of Clans is great but we also like all the Jurasic park films. Thank you in advance for any advise. I would love both games but I would never get them both to the table.



What's the age group?


Son is 12 and played ticket to ride properly at 7 and daughter is 9 and plays Clank very well
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
None of the above
kadian wrote:
patox wrote:
kadian wrote:
I’m posting on DI page also, I’m hoping some fellow gamers have both games.
I play board games with the family normally 3-4 players & I have to Pretty much know the game rules before we play our first learning game.
My wife & children like fun games like Ticket to ride, Alien frontiers and Clank and so on but I want to get them in to a few deeper games so which would be suited best which is better to teach with easier learning curve? We live in a Ireland UK and visited Scotland many times so the theme of Clans is great but we also like all the Jurasic park films. Thank you in advance for any advise. I would love both games but I would never get them both to the table.



What's the age group?


Son is 12 and played ticket to ride properly at 7 and daughter is 9 and plays Clank very well
I don't know anything about Dinosaur Island, and I'm a big fan of Clans of Caledonia but I would suggest Concordia ahead of it every time as more accessible and friendly in playing style.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kadian O'Reilly
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
misteralan wrote:
kadian wrote:
patox wrote:
kadian wrote:
I’m posting on DI page also, I’m hoping some fellow gamers have both games.
I play board games with the family normally 3-4 players & I have to Pretty much know the game rules before we play our first learning game.
My wife & children like fun games like Ticket to ride, Alien frontiers and Clank and so on but I want to get them in to a few deeper games so which would be suited best which is better to teach with easier learning curve? We live in a Ireland UK and visited Scotland many times so the theme of Clans is great but we also like all the Jurasic park films. Thank you in advance for any advise. I would love both games but I would never get them both to the table.



What's the age group?


Son is 12 and played ticket to ride properly at 7 and daughter is 9 and plays Clank very well
I don't know anything about Dinosaur Island, and I'm a big fan of Clans of Caledonia but I would suggest Concordia ahead of it every time as more accessible and

friendly in playing style.


Concordia is another game that has caught my eye and always hear nothing but good things about it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both Clans and Concordia, and I would definitely recommend Concordia over Clans for your youngsters.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemy Slav
msg tools
badge
Meowthulhu fhtagn!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Why choose when you can have both? You don't need to get them right away on the table, but just having them gives you an option to play it
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dino Island for sure. I own both and enjoy both. I’m not sure which I prefer as I’ve only played each a few times. But Dino Island is a bit lighter, easier to grok a strategy, more forgiving, and has a more engaging theme.

Concordia would also be a great fit. But if you can find Dino Island, get that. It’s super well-designed and fun.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kadian O'Reilly
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
atomheartmother wrote:
Dino Island for sure. I own both and enjoy both. I’m not sure which I prefer as I’ve only played each a few times. But Dino Island is a bit lighter, easier to grok a strategy, more forgiving, and has a more engaging theme.

Concordia would also be a great fit. But if you can find Dino Island, get that. It’s super well-designed and fun.


Thanks for all the great feedback! I received a copy of Dinasaur island from Board Game guru here in the UK yesterday! Wow the box is a heavy one!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.