Subject: Muat boost suggestion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Badoux Jerome
Switzerland
flag msg tools
designer
mb
After a bit of thoughts I realize Muat is really weaker then the other races, bad starts, poor kit synergy and nothibng really to make up for this.

I suggest to give them in setup :

+1 career (they have only the war sun to transport and he will be used very quickly for other things then just transport.)

+1 Hypermetabolism (it will give them an extra CC that will synergize well with their racial abbility ... I considered giving them a blue tech, however allowing them to have gravity drive round 1 + warfare ... with a WS from the beginning it is too powerful).

What do you think ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Have you played them?..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badoux Jerome
Switzerland
flag msg tools
designer
mb
not in TI 4
But they are almost the same as TI3 ... was bad in TI3 (now looks the same but all racres worse have been boosted)....

This is why I am asking you advices!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought we talked about this here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1911839/embers-muat-need
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badoux Jerome
Switzerland
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Yes it is after this conversation I started to think about how to boost.

I took the extra carreer advice but seems not enought... this is why I added Hypermatabolism to give them synergy.... however giving their home system red tech might be an interesting alternative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico C.
Australia
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
Try these three, one by one, in order. Then see how the game is impacted.

- Star Forge can now be used on space docks.

- Magmus Reactor now triggers on uses of Production or Star Forge

- Magmus Reactor now requires 1 less red tech

There's no point in adding carriers or ships - they already have the highest value fleet, boosting that is just wrong and only serves to remove their identity. Tech discounts have been removed from home planets, so let's follow that. Try small things first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hector131 wrote:

I agree with most of the conclusions in that thread. The Muuat are a good race, not overpowered but definitely not weak. Like most races, you need to learn how to capitalize on what they have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. W.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TI4 has 17 races, no amount of playtesting could possibly balance all of them in every situation.

The key things that make Muaat good (besides the obvious) are their unique Promissory Note, and their upgraded War Sun in the late game. Muaat players should leverage allies courting them for the War Sun tech, and benefit from their unique ability to uplift someone several tech levels near instantly. People often play Muaat as warchiefs, when really they should leverage their political power. Make an underdog give you a few political titles in the agenda phase, and then give them War Suns to stall an aggressor while you watch from the sidelines ready to pounce on them later.

Focusing on upgrading your Destroyers and Fighters also makes your Forge within the War Suns more beneficial. You can build these units anywhere a WS is, why make them the vanilla units everyone is expecting?

Don't be too afraid to lose a WS in the late game. If you paced your tech with the other players, you should always have a War Sun before they do, and when they get the tech themselves, upgrade yours so they're still cheaper to build and have longer movement range. It's hard to react to a Muaat War Sun that hurtles across the map with a Flank Speed action card to join a fray.

Anyway, having some races be objectively weaker in some situations is a given,considering the breadth and variety of factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico C.
Australia
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
Virus wrote:
Focusing on upgrading your Destroyers and Fighters also makes your Forge within the War Suns more beneficial. You can build these units anywhere a WS is, why make them the vanilla units everyone is expecting?

Very much agree with this in general terms, but would you do this at the expense of a War Sun rush? My thinking mainly comes from the idea that some people will rush Dreads and those are faster to research than WS already.

Also, how do you see Cruiser II?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My only suggestion is they automatically get the supernova tile to place. I think this would be enough of a boost to get them ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK Levine
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crikrunner wrote:
My only suggestion is they automatically get the supernova tile to place. I think this would be enough of a boost to get them ok.

Yeah, we do this. It seems like it's just a natural part of their identity. When using a preset map, I give 'em the option to swap the supernova with any other red tile before starting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Mags
Australia
flag msg tools
Crikrunner wrote:

Love this idea, allows them to place that supernova in a way that you can block your opponents while letting you through, and allowing you to utilize your racial tech effectively in most games. Simple better really effective!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As on the other thread, I would target their flagship and Magmus Reactors with buffs.

Quote:
Magmus Reactor (RR)
Your ships can move into supernovas.
After you activate a system that is adjacent to a supernova or one of your Warsuns, gain 1 trade good.

Now this competes with duranium armor. If you move your Warsuns slowly you get a TG all the time.

Quote:
The Inferno
Cost 8 - Combat 5x2 - Move 1 - Capacity 3 - Sustain Damage
Action : Spend 1 token from your strategy pool to place 2 cruisers in this unit's system

As a rule of thumb, if something's too weak, double it. Muat can already stall with their racial, so this stalling option need to be better (as it it costs several resources/TGs that could be used for a public objective)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Mags
Australia
flag msg tools
desocupado wrote:
As on the other thread, I would target their flagship and Magmus Reactors with buffs.

Quote:
Magmus Reactor (RR)
Your ships can move into supernovas.
After you activate a system that is adjacent to a supernova or one of your Warsuns, gain 1 trade good.

Now this competes with duranium armor. If you move your Warsuns slowly you get a TG all the time.

Quote:
The Inferno
Cost 8 - Combat 5x2 - Move 1 - Capacity 3 - Sustain Damage
Action : Spend 1 token from your strategy pool to place 2 cruisers in this unit's system

As a rule of thumb, if something's too weak, double it. Muat can already stall with their racial, so this stalling option need to be better (as it it costs several resources/TGs that could be used for a public objective)

Can I suggest 1 that combines the two together..

The Inferno
At the beginning of the status phase if this ship is not in a home system or mecatol Rex, you may destroy this ship and all other units present in the system and replace the system with a supernova tile. Once per game only.

You now have all the positives of being able to place your supernova system where it suits you as mentioned before while doing so in a way that can cause a lot of grief to your neighbours. The negotiations on placement would be hilarious!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.