Subject: Dinosaur Island or Clans of Caledonia? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kadian O'Reilly
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m posting on COC page also, I’m hoping some fellow gamers have both games.
I play board games with the family normally 3-4 players & I have to Pretty much know the game rules before we play our first learning game.
My wife & children like fun games like Ticket to ride, Alien frontiers and Clank and so on but I want to get them in to a few deeper games so which would be suited best which is better to teach with easier learning curve? We live in a Ireland UK and visited Scotland many times so the theme of Clans is great but we also like all the Jurasic park films. Thank you in advance for any advise. I would love both games but I would never get them both to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
mbmbmbmbmb
You're going to have a much more fun time with Dinosaur Island if the burden of knowing and explaining the rules rests on you. Clans of Caledonia is like Terra Mystica lite, whereas Dinosaur Island is just a light worker placement game to begin with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kadian O'Reilly
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SteoanK wrote:
You're going to have a much more fun time with Dinosaur Island if the burden of knowing and explaining the rules rests on you. Clans of Caledonia is like Terra Mystica lite, whereas Dinosaur Island is just a light worker placement game to begin with.

Thank you Steve this is exactly what I needed to hear, I have Terra Mystica and I have played it & love it but my children will not be ready for it for another year or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collin Moe
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit late to the thread but my 11 year old son and I played our first game last night...it was amazing! Not only did he have a great time playing, he also ended up pulling ahead in the last round to win after trailing significantly throughout the game. The game is somewhat complex for us but the theme is so immersive that it helps the mechanics make sense, leading to a great gaming experience. The other part that helps is the breaking up of the turn into the 4 easily digested phases. It looks crazy spread out on the table so we were a little scared to try it out but we are also fans of the movies and couldn't resist. And on that note I will now admit to having never played Clans of Caledonia, I just needed to vent my excitement about our first game! Good luck with your decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kadian O'Reilly
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmoe25027 wrote:
I'm a bit late to the thread but my 11 year old son and I played our first game last night...it was amazing! Not only did he have a great time playing, he also ended up pulling ahead in the last round to win after trailing significantly throughout the game. The game is somewhat complex for us but the theme is so immersive that it helps the mechanics make sense, leading to a great gaming experience. The other part that helps is the breaking up of the turn into the 4 easily digested phases. It looks crazy spread out on the table so we were a little scared to try it out but we are also fans of the movies and couldn't resist. And on that note I will now admit to having never played Clans of Caledonia, I just needed to vent my excitement about our first game! Good luck with your decision.

Hi Collin I ordered Dinosaur Island this evening! Thank you for such a informative reply & sounds like you had great game! You have me stoked for playing with my family! Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collin Moe
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great! I hope you love it, we played a second game this week and really enjoyed it. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.