Subject: We lose every time--what are we missing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Malibu
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played every time, and every time the deck runs out before we can cure all 4. We can usually get 2 and occasionally 3. Sometimes we've been just a couple of moves. We're playing on the easiest settings. What gives?

So, I know, this is a generic question, but I'll set it up a bit. I feel like our biggest frustration is getting to 5 matching cards. It's brutal to get both players on the same city AND to hand over that city card. The 7-card hand limit is brutal, too. We do what we can with RR and purify water as carefully as we can, but I feel like we're discarding cards too frequently because we're not getting color matches. Should we be doing more purify water anticipating we might otherwise have to discard (and knowing that they're 2-for-1 as opposed to a typical removal which is 1-for-1)? Or do you have better strategies for getting to 5 matching that I'm just missing? Sorry again that it's kind of generic, but just wondering mostly about hand management as strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hay
United States
Owensboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am by no means an expert at the game, but I have won several times.

You do need to spend cards in this game. It does make it difficult to collect the sets, but I have found that not spending them usually means a lot of them getting discarded without doing anything.

If you have the railwayman in the game, use him a lot. Essentially any time you would like to have him walk two spaces, instead have him lay two track and then move along it. Same number of actions but you get two railways laid.

While you do have to spend cards a bit more freely, you do need to keep track to make sure you are not throwing away too many of a color. Unless, of course, you have the politician. His ability to take cards from the discard pile is super useful.

Putting down purified water can be very beneficial. As you said, it is only one action to stop 2 disease cubes, but the fact that it stops them and you do not have to go treat a 3-cube city is very helpful in that it gives you more time to meet and trade cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
redlightgrnlight wrote:
We've played every time, and every time the deck runs out before we can cure all 4. We can usually get 2 and occasionally 3. Sometimes we've been just a couple of moves. We're playing on the easiest settings. What gives?

So, I know, this is a generic question, but I'll set it up a bit. I feel like our biggest frustration is getting to 5 matching cards. It's brutal to get both players on the same city AND to hand over that city card. The 7-card hand limit is brutal, too. We do what we can with RR and purify water as carefully as we can, but I feel like we're discarding cards too frequently because we're not getting color matches. Should we be doing more purify water anticipating we might otherwise have to discard (and knowing that they're 2-for-1 as opposed to a typical removal which is 1-for-1)? Or do you have better strategies for getting to 5 matching that I'm just missing? Sorry again that it's kind of generic, but just wondering mostly about hand management as strategy.

It sounds as though you have not played vanilla Pandemic (often). Iberia is the harder version of the game.

Those that have played Pandemic, have often learned that from the get-go, getting those 5 cards of 1 colour is the thing to focus on. This means you plan ahead, you make sure you know who is where, and also means that sometimes, you accept having to leave cubes or an outbreak occuring. We have discovered that roughly 50% of our actions is to do with swapping cards.

As stated above: Make sure you invest in a good rail network early on in the game. No matter which role you have. Ideally, connect those 9 cities that you put cubes in at the start of the game. We alo try to form an S shape, so it's pretty easy to get to the tracks from anywhere on the board. Oh and of course connect it to the hospitals too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
"Play is an essential component of Wholehearted living." Brené Brown
badge
What do you mean we don't have time for another game?
mbmbmbmbmb
AernoutMJC wrote:

Oh and of course connect it to the hospitals too.

This is good advice, unless you begin to get pretty good as the base game and decide to kick it up a notch by trying the Influx of Patients variant. If you're playing with that variant, you likely do not want to attach railroads to the hospitals! That'll help the "patients" get to the hospitals more quickly, which will make them "overrun" (i.e. outbreak).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to look for the unstated benefits.

Railways & ports are good for longer movements (obviously), but that makes them good for getting cards moved between players. The ability of the Railwayman & Sailor to take another pawn on moves not only gets you more mobility, but also allows 2 cards to change hands in 1 turn if those cities are both on railways or port cities, depending on the role.

The Politician can recover city cards from the discard pile & move cards without the other player being in the same city. This means that other roles can spend cards to get rid of them so the Politician get recover them rather than trying to share information the normal way. If you need to get a card to another player, but can't meet up, then spend it on purification & let the Politician get it back & get it to the right player.

The Royal Academy Scientist, Nurse & Agronomist are each good for blocking cube placement so put them where they can do the most good.

The Rural Doctor can knock down more cubes with less movement so place him where there are many cubes close together.

There will be turns when you simply can't do much directly toward the objectives, so you spend those turns on infrastructure. One of the best starts I have ever had in this was the Railwayman starting in Madrid & going first. I got 6 rail tokens placed going out in 3 directions & started moving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of games like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Broadstorm wrote:
There will be turns when you simply can't do much directly toward the objectives, so you spend those turns on infrastructure. One of the best starts I have ever had in this was the Railwayman starting in Madrid & going first. I got 6 rail tokens placed going out in 3 directions & started moving.

Unfortunately, that's cheating. The railwayman is only allowed to double build rail lines once per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
Broadstorm wrote:

Unfortunately, that's cheating. The railwayman is only allowed to double build rail lines once per turn.

Damn! I just checked the card again. Well, the rest works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lilburne
msg tools
Information management and presentation enables good decisions to be made quickly.

Recently I watched the movie the Battle of Britain. There is a room with a large map table on which pieces are being moved around indicating the positions of aircraft squadrons. On the walls the state of readiness of the squadrons are indicated with lights. So the decision makers have this information presented clearly to them.

Applying this to Pandemic Iberia:
Lay out the Infection Discard Pile so that you can see the name of every city.
Lay out the Player Discard Pile so that you can see the name of every city and sort the cards into colours.
If there are four Epidemic cards being used, keep them as four separate decks (to provide information on when the next Epidemic card will appear).
Before shuffling during the intensify stage, label the cities being shuffled with markers. (I use small round Lego ones.)
Keep the shuffled deck separate from the rest of the Infection Deck, so you know when it is finished.

Are these techniques permitted by the rules? I think it can be argued either way. Essentially I think they are OK. They are achieving what can be done by counting the cards, looking through the piles and keeping notes. But these techniques are an easier way to collect and present this information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John Lilburne wrote:
Keep the shuffled deck separate from the rest of the Infection Deck, so you know when it is finished.

How do you annotate the case where an Epidemic card is reached before you were to the end of the shuffled deck? At that that point there would two little shuffled decks. Put them on top of each other or keep them separate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lilburne
msg tools
Spreading out the deck cards and placing different colour Lego markers next to them. The colours match Lego markers placed on a city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lilburne
msg tools
I have made a video about this which has some photos of how I use the coloured markers of cities. It is called "Information presentation to help win Pandemic Iberia" and at YouTube.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Moreira
msg tools
I just got my copy of Pandemic Iberia, and so far I've learned a few important things.

1. Use your cards, because if you keep too many in your hand, you'll soon reach your hand limit and will have to lose cards without even using. So, you can start by building a hospital in you starting city and using cards to add purify water tokens.

2. Build as many train tracks as you can, it'll make moving a lot easier. If you're playing with the railwayman, use his ability.

3. Don't worry too much about having outbreaks, just try to avoid chain outbreaks.

4. Event cards make a real difference, and you should know when is the best time to use each of them.

- - -

And depending on the characters you're using, don't forget about their abilities. Here are some I've found pretty useful:

Railwayman: as said above, builds railroads quicker. And can move another pawn.

Royal Academy Scientist: good for purifying water, as she can use any color card, and also, what I found pretty useful in a two player game, is her ability to pick up the next 3 cards from the deck and rearrange. Not only it's helpful to prepare for an upcoming epidemic, but it's also good to sort the color cards that one player or the other will pick up, and that can be helpful in avoiding travelling to swap cards.

Politician: great for giving a card to another player, and also to get cards back that have already been used.

Sailor: travels fast without the need of spending a card and can move another player.

Nurse: her prevention token is perfect. You can always plan your movements with her so as she ends her turn near a region that's problematic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you.
badge
Good and evil; there never is one without the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't play a ton, but agree it can be hard for new or returning players to win even on the easy level. A lot will depend on the random board setup (which you can't do much about). Having certain event cards or roles can really help (while others are underwhelming).

I agree with what others have said about not over-treating diseases. We were losing this and traditional Pandemic because we were wasting actions curing cubes in an area with just a single cube. We rarely do this now and it helps.

Until you get used to everything, why don't you try one or both of the following:

(1) Pick your roles -- we were randomly assigned the scientist and sailor, and found it to be a very powerful combo. You might try it some time... and use the scientists ability just about every turn... especially early in the game. The scientist can help you delay an epidemic one turn (which can be huge as it waters down the infection deck for one more turn), and is very helpful at helping players get cards of a certain color. I'm sure there are other good combos as well.

(2) Pick your event cards -- or at least certain types of event cards. I break them down into a few categories (each with 2-3 cards): (1) movement, (2) removing cubes, (3) trading/getting cards, (4) misc. -- build hospital, add tracks, add purification tokens, etc.

Instead of randomly picking from the 15, maybe randomly pick one from each category. That way you get a little help with everything at some point in the game.

Once you try this, you can go back to the official random selection of cards. But, we have found doing this a couple of times or every now and then can help you figure out how to optimize all the options in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before you start the game, look to see what color cards you have multiples of. Then select your starting cities so that you can swap one or more cards on your first turn. It’s a huge advantage that everyone starts on a city that they have in their hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.