Dr. Saari
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious how others are scoring on the different modules to find if my experience is representative of the norm or not, and to determine with whom I should play the remaining games in the series.

My brother, daughter, and I scored 9/10 stars on the Abandoned Cabin over Thanksgiving. We took a good amount of time instead of giving in to temptation on the hint cards and we were eventually able to solve everything. It was a ton of fun, very satisfying. To this date it is my favorite escape room "in a box" experience, having played a good number of the options on the market.

Last weekend, my wife, daughter, and I scored 5/10 stars on the Secret Lab. We got off to a very slow start after the first puzzle, and after eating up way too much time on the second puzzle (We tried to avoid this since we didn't need any on the Cabin), our score suffered tremendously as a result. We ended up using 5 hints in total I believe. We did much better with the puzzles in the second half of the game than the first. We had trouble seeing which pages of the book to use for certain puzzles. Obviously we didn't have as much fun because we, like most people I'm sure, find these more satisfying when we can solve them without the benefit of help.

I'm wondering if other players who track their "scores" saw similar drop offs between these two modules, as most people seem to believe they are the easiest within the series of six. Given the drop-off, I'm nervous in terms of how much I'm going to enjoy the others.

To that same end, how are you scoring on the other four (which I have not played yet) in comparison to how you scored on Cabin and Lab?

I think I have concluded that I'll play the others with larger groups -- at least three adults total -- in hopes of avoiding the frustration we hit at one point with the Secret Lab. I really loved the Abandoned Cabin. I'm now nervous that it set me up to be disappointed with the rest of the games though. Would love to hear from others on this to see if how your experiences are comparing. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cam P
Australia
Kew
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We got 9 on both the Cabin and Lab and I think we got 8 on the Pharaoh's tomb. The Pharaoh's tomb definitely felt the hardest and was the only one that we destroyed any components for. I still really enjoyed it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nimbus Aaron
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've just completed our first ever escape room game, which was The Abandoned Cabin. We had a decent group of experienced gamers and managed a time of 56.56 with no help cards; 10 stars. That said, I've heard the others in the series are much harder so we may not get that comfortable yet... We've got the Pharaohs tomb ready to go soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Garbe
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We got...

7/10 at the Abandoned Cabin
Our favorite one so far.

4/10 at the Forgotten Island
Not a big fan of this one. Puzzles seemed either obvious or overly convoluted.

4/10 at the Forbidden Castle
The most difficult one we've played. Our score could (should) have been better if not for some silly mistakes on our part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aimee Wood
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played, in this order:

Pharaoh's Tomb: 6/10
In hindsight, we shouldn't have played this one first

Secret Lab: 7/10

Abandoned Cabin: 9?/10
I can't find where I wrote this one down. We were well under an hour, but might have used 1-2 hint cards. So either 10 or 8 stars :-)

Forgotten Island: 6/10
Just played this one tonight. We were only a few minutes over an hour, or we would have had 7 stars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.