Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Blaschke
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mb
Hi to everyone!

I am struggling with Rules 11.5.2 and 11.5.3. Rule 11.5.2 says that I receive "a new Submarine of the same class (and latest model)". 11.5.3 states that I may request a "newer model Submarine".

What does this mean exactly? I understand that the word "class" refers to the various submaribe classes like Gato, Tambor, Porpoise, etc. But what is the latest model? I understand that the only updates are those listed in 11.6 and that these updates come automatically at the respective refit without a need to spend and Uprade Marker. So what is the benefit of requesting an update? In other words, what happens really when you are assigned to a newer model submarine?

I guess I am correct to say that by way of upgrade I cannot change from one class to another, correct?

Any clarifications are highly appreciated.

All the best,
Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Peter,

The word "model" is somewhat confusing, I'll agree. It should be considered = class.

Basically, the rule means you can upgrade to a newer class IF they are currently available. For example, if you are in, say for example, a Salmon class boat, and have an upgrade token and it's 1944, you could get a Gato or Balao class. But you couldn't get a Tench class, as they aren't yet available. Additionally, if you do decide to get a Gato, it would be the latest model. Meaning, you don't have to go through an upgrade procedure for the AA and deck guns, they would come upgraded already since it's 1944.
I hope that makes sense,

Greg
Game Designer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Blaschke
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Greg!

This makes a lot of sense. Thank you!

Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.