Dustin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two suggestions:

1. Dice Drafting

To my mind, this is different enough from card drafting that it's its own mechanism. With games like Roll Player and Sagrada coming out and making a splash, it seems likely that we'll see this more and more.

2. Dice Modification

I'm not sure how else to describe Dice Forge's unique mechanism, but it seems different enough to me to be its own thing. And, again, I wouldn't be surprised to see other designers playing with this in the future.

Y'all think about this stuff longer and harder than I do, so I wouldn't at all be surprised if you disagreed with these, but I thought I'd make the suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt M
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was just thinking about these topics. Specifically, I'd like to see dice drafting as a separate category because with the way the database is now, it's difficult to locate games like seasons, castle dice, pioneer days, etc. I really enjoy this mechanic and had to do a bunch of research to discover these game titles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
United States
Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zelbinian wrote:
Two suggestions:

1. Dice Drafting

To my mind, this is different enough from card drafting that it's its own mechanism. With games like Roll Player and Sagrada coming out and making a splash, it seems likely that we'll see this more and more.

2. Dice Modification

I'm not sure how else to describe Dice Forge's unique mechanism, but it seems different enough to me to be its own thing. And, again, I wouldn't be surprised to see other designers playing with this in the future.

Y'all think about this stuff longer and harder than I do, so I wouldn't at all be surprised if you disagreed with these, but I thought I'd make the suggestions.

I think these are good suggestions, especially the Dice Drafting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguins Performance Project feat.
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
If we can have Deck / Pool Building, Campaign / Battle Card Driven, Roll / Spin and Move, Route/Network Building and so on (with inconsistent typography), then surely we can have Card/Dice Drafting, whether or not it's actually called that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
The regular way to go is to present a Geeklist with 50 or more games that have the mechanism in question, and then suggest it to the admins.

So your first go is to present these 50 games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
The regular way to go is to present a Geeklist with 50 or more games that have the mechanism in question, and then suggest it to the admins.

So your first go is to present these 50 games.

To my knowledge BGG hasn't added new mechanisms or new categories in many many years. Adding new families is now the norm.

I think the idea has been that new mechanisms and new categories create problems for the database since the existing games wouldn't have been evaluated against the new values.

Perhaps the mechanisms for example should have yes/no/unknown values. As it is now it is just yes/no.

I have a geeklist where various games are archetypes for a family. The archetype game really denotes a common play mechanism.

Boardgame Families that are "Archetype" games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
herace wrote:
I think the idea has been that new mechanisms and new categories create problems for the database since the existing games wouldn't have been evaluated against the new values.

Of course this is the problem. However, it's ben done before, and the entire database can be re-evaluated (the entire image database was re-evaluated a few years back). After all, it's not even close to be accurate now. Not everyone who adds games knows all categories exactly; I'm adding games and am unsure every single time.

However, the argument is that there's no reason to have a mechanism that only 10 games have. I'm not really sure I agree, though, because if 10 very prolific games have a known mechanism, it could be reasonable to have it.

But adding a mechanism is opening av can of worms – it has screamed to be fixed for years, and needs (I'd imagine) a full re-vamp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.