Popular Tags: [View All]
michael humphreys
United States
Carney’s Point
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I played for the/our first time....
We very much enjoyed it, particularly the "feeling" of the Theme coming through our Actions: Harvesting a field, making a wine, etc...
My wife won... pretty handily...

Some thoughts... (Again, simply Impresions/Opinions after 1 game)

Being First Player was def more important than I initially thought it would be, maybe esp so bc the game is pretty quick/short....

Money doesn't seem to have much use after a certain period of time (after having the buildings you want/need)

I didn't realize how important the Visitor cards were (primarily by allowing one to "break" a game rule... ie allowing actions that wouldn't normally be allowed by the standard Actions chosen)...
And of course this the where the "Luck" factor is present...
But it feels like, for my tastes, it is too strong of an impact... I may prefer to more "know" what are all the possibilities (and not be so surprised) of what can happen within the framework of the primary Actions/Rules of the game... I understand why these Visitors are like that... to add randomness, therefore replayability... But the Tension this creates (likely purposeful), to me may create instead some small level Frustration....

This all being said, we walked away from the game with it in high regard, and wanting to play again (I have Tuscany Essential, and may add that this next time)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molokov (AU)
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you read many other threads here (or play more games), you'll find you're right. A lot of Viticulture is making good use of the Visitor cards, and more importantly, adjusting your strategy based on the cards that you pick up (of all four types).

Yes, that does add a significant element of randomness to the game, and if you don't like that in your worker placement games, then maybe Viticulture isn't for you.

I quite enjoy the challenge of working with what my Mama and Papa give me, and then seeing if I can make use of the visitor cards I draw, and discarding the ones that are no good to me. (Building the Cottage early is good, because then you're gaining two new Visitor cards each round).

Adding in the small "Moor Visitors" expansion is good because it gives you, unsurprisingly, more visitors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes money is tight but important in the early game. And readily available but not needed late in the game. Personally, I find this adds to the theme. You have inherited a run down vineyard so it needs lots of work and you don't have much money. Once you get it back on its feet, it will make money for you as a working concern, and while you will have some ongoing costs, most of the big ticket items will be behind you. Perhaps some sort of mortgage mechanic would have worked here, but then it would have been a very different game and I very much like the game as is.

I do have other thematic concerns though. Grapes left on the crush pad improve with age? Sorry Jamey, they rot and go mouldy and need to be thrown out. You can mix any two reds and a white to get a sparkling wine? Sorry Jamey. I drink sparkling Shiraz. and - you guessed it - it is made from only red grapes. And my favourite white bubbles is made from Chenin Blanc. Again only one sort of grape - white this time. Still they make game sense so I don't mind too much. A while back though there was a real winemaker on here who said they couldn't play the game because of the errors in theme so perhaps it is best if you don't know too much about the industry.

Tuscany. Add it. You won't look back. It helps enormously with the swingy nature of the card draw. It will no longer be an issue of you only draw white grapes and red orders. Yes it happens. The revised turn order system works really well; and the full use of seasons adds to the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Goncalves
Portugal
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Viticulture is a race. If you have leftover money, you weren't as efficient as you could be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximilian Berbechelov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a side note:

Tuscany changes the game so much that IMO you don't have an improved Viticulture but a completely new game. We play both with and without Tuscany all the time and it really feels different enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Dickson
msg tools
GregDarcy wrote:
Yes money is tight but important in the early game. And readily available but not needed late in the game. Personally, I find this adds to the theme. You have inherited a run down vineyard so it needs lots of work and you don't have much money. Once you get it back on its feet, it will make money for you as a working concern, and while you will have some ongoing costs, most of the big ticket items will be behind you. Perhaps some sort of mortgage mechanic would have worked here, but then it would have been a very different game and I very much like the game as is.

I do have other thematic concerns though. Grapes left on the crush pad improve with age? Sorry Jamey, they rot and go mouldy and need to be thrown out. You can mix any two reds and a white to get a sparkling wine? Sorry Jamey. I drink sparkling Shiraz. and - you guessed it - it is made from only red grapes. And my favourite white bubbles is made from Chenin Blanc. Again only one sort of grape - white this time. Still they make game sense so I don't mind too much. A while back though there was a real winemaker on here who said they couldn't play the game because of the errors in theme so perhaps it is best if you don't know too much about the industry.

Totally agree with everything you said. The winemaker thing is pretty funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Indeed, Tuscany definitely gives you more things to do with money; more structures to build plus you can trade money for points if you have an excess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.