Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cosme Benito
Portugal
Montijo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I played the first AH:LCG scenario and I had a blast. I felt like I was doing the spawning incorrectly, though, and I want to clarify some things.

My main problem is with monster spawning in the mythos phase. Monsters should be engaged with the person who drew the card, but a couple of edge cases need clarification.

- Spawn: when a monster has a spawn location I assume the monster is engaged with an investigator that is at that location, correct? If no players are at that location and never move there, the monster is stuck (unless it's a hunter), correct?

- Prey: with my interpretation since the monster has no text it spawns in the location of the person who drew the card. Does it engage the person who drew the card or the best at that location who best fits the criteria? After being engaged to will a monster with prey disengage me for another investigator who best fits the criteria?

- Hunter: if I understand correctly a Hunter is a monster that will move to the closest investigator if he is un-engaged. How can a monster be un-engaged? Monsters always move with you, right?

- Retaliate: there is no punishment for failing an attack against a monster that does not have retaliate, correct? Will an exhausted monster still retaliate?

Many thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spawn: Yes, correct.

Prey: It spawns at the drawer, and engages with the best, yes. An Enemy does not normally disengage by itself for any reason, but if it does become disengaged (e.g. by an Evasion), it will try (as soon as it is Ready) to engage with its best Prey.

Hunter: Enemies can be un-engaged if they Spawn in an empty Location or if you Evade them. If they are engaged, they will move with you (i.e. stay in your Threat Area).

Retaliate: Retaliate is triggered by a failed attack. Exhausted enemies cannot retaliate (Exhausted = Not Ready).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael Boily
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello and welcome to AH, many nightmares are still to come... and you'll like it!

-Spawn: You got it right. Keep in mind that an ennemy will automaticly engage an investigator whenever the monster is: Ready + at the same location as an investigator. (This simple concept helps a lot!) Remember that if an ennemy has a spawn indication but the location isn't in play, it doesn't spawn! (Free mythos phase? Hell yea)

-Prey: I do it this way. If I am in the wrong, please mind telling me:
1: Monster spawns at the location of the investigator who draw it (Unless it has a spawn indication)
2: Since the monster is ready and in a location with an investigator it engages to the best fit. Unless the monster is prey X only. (But I think this only happens for weaknesses...)
3: An ennemy will never disengage by itself. It wants to kill you.

-Hunter: The disengage action is there for that! It will only move with you if you move while it's still engaged. And it would make an attack since you'd be doing another action than fight, parley or disengage!

-Retaliate: Retaliate is precisely: If you miss the attack, the ennemy attacks you if it isn't exhausted.

Hope it helps!

Edit: P.S. Rule gurus, please correct me if i'm in the wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cosme Benito
Portugal
Montijo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I see! if you evade then you disengage, I got it wrong. I thought it just exhausted them. Now everything makes sense. Thanks a lot guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite rigth.

1. Monsters spanw and engages the investigator who did draw it, unless it spawn another location.
2. And in that another location If monster does not know who to engage, it will check the prey
(Monster Also check the prey if it has to deside between multible targets, when it hunts, but first priority is the closest distance.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note the comments above about Prey aren't quite right. Prey is only ever a tiebreaker, not something that changes behaviour (except when it is Prey - X only, but we'll ignore that for now).

When an enemy spawns, if it doesn't have a Spawn instruction (and isn't Aloof or Massive) it spawns engaged with the investigator who drew it - not just at their location. Therefore Prey will have no effect, since there's no decision or tie to break. Even if there's another investigator at the same location who fits the Prey better, it will spawn engaged with the investigator who drew it.

However, if the enemy has a Spawn instruction for a location, it will spawn at the location specified - and then automatically engage. If the Spawn location happens to be the location of the drawing investigator and another, better Prey target, then it'll engage with the Prey target instead - because it's just at the location deciding who to engage.

It's a subtle rule, and probably not one that's going to make a difference to 99% of scenarios, but that is how the rules interact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Brown
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’d like to jump in and point out three things for the sake of completeness:

1) There are four actions you can take while engaged with an enemy that wil not trigger an Attack of Opportunity - Attack, Evade, Parley, and Resign.

2) When you Evade an enemy, that enemy disengages and also becomes exhausted (Massive enemies don’t become exhausted). Exhausted enemies do not move from hunter and do not engage or attack during the enemy phase. During the next phase, the upkeep phase, that enemy will ready, and at that point will engage an investigator at their location.

3) If an enemy doesn’t have Prey, and readies at a location with two investigators, the lead investigator decides which investigator it engages.

Edit: I was wrong about that part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
Note the comments above about Prey aren't quite right. Prey is only ever a tiebreaker, not something that changes behaviour (except when it is Prey - X only, but we'll ignore that for now).

When an enemy spawns, if it doesn't have a Spawn instruction (and isn't Aloof or Massive) it spawns engaged with the investigator who drew it - not just at their location. Therefore Prey will have no effect, since there's no decision or tie to break. Even if there's another investigator at the same location who fits the Prey better, it will spawn engaged with the investigator who drew it.

However, if the enemy has a Spawn instruction for a location, it will spawn at the location specified - and then automatically engage. If the Spawn location happens to be the location of the drawing investigator and another, better Prey target, then it'll engage with the Prey target instead - because it's just at the location deciding who to engage.

It's a subtle rule, and probably not one that's going to make a difference to 99% of scenarios, but that is how the rules interact.

^^^This is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SepiaPenguin03 wrote:

2) When you Evade an enemy, that enemy disengages and also becomes exhausted (Massive enemies don’t become exhausted).

But the RR page 15 says "An exhausted enemy with the massive key word is not considered to be engaged with any investigators."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sindriss wrote:
SepiaPenguin03 wrote:

2) When you Evade an enemy, that enemy disengages and also becomes exhausted (Massive enemies don’t become exhausted).

But the RR page 15 says "An exhausted enemy with the massive key word is not considered to be engaged with any investigators."

Yes, the quoted post is incorrect. Not only do massive enemies exhaust when evaded, but only one investigator at the location needs to evade them for all investigators to be unengaged with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Brown
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CSerpent wrote:
Sindriss wrote:
SepiaPenguin03 wrote:

Yes, the quoted post is incorrect. Not only do massive enemies exhaust when evaded, but only one investigator at the location needs to evade them for all investigators to be unengaged with them.

Fixed it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angora Patio
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cirune wrote:
Remember that if an ennemy has a spawn indication but the location isn't in play, it doesn't spawn! (Free mythos phase? Hell yea)

Just wanted to make sure and get confirmed that this is really true.
I certainly like the 'Free mythos phase? Hell yea'?

But what does "location isn't in play" really mean?
Let's say in "The Gathering" if I am still "Trapped (Act 1a)" in the study, and I draw the Flesh-Eater in the Mythos phase, who spawns in the Attic, which at that time is still unrevealed, the Attic is consider to be "not in play", right, and the Fleah-Eater therefore doesn't spawn, correct?

Worst case it would be set aside with the unrevealed location cards and 'wait' for the investigators until the Attic is revealed and unlocked (?!), but I guess and hope, that is not the case ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Set-aside" cards are not in play, so yes, if you draw the Flesh-Eater before you escape the Study, the Flesh-Eater is just discarded (and you effectively get away without a Mythos card that round!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: 'revealed' and 'unrevealed' have a specific meaning, in the game, with regards to locations.

Revealed locations are those that are in play and which have their shroud and clue value side face up.

Unrevealed locations are those that are in play but which have their shroud and clue value side face down.

In either of those cases, a monster with a spawn location will spawn at that location.

This is different to out of play, set aside, locations, which monsters do not spawn at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.