Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Neale
United Kingdom
Finedon
Northants
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of picking up a second copy to increase the player count to 4.

Is it as simple as just adding the ship standees, extractor cubes, subroutine tokens, screens and trackers from a second copy to do this, or are there some (or all) of the cards or planets that should also be added (or removed)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojtek Wojcik
Poland
Kraków(Cracow)
Malopolska
flag msg tools
designer
I very much like designing games but I think I prefer to play them.
badge
Metallum ... game I most proud of.
mbmbmbmbmb
A little background:
The game originally was designed with more than two players in mind but in the course of design and development we observed that it produced widely different play experiences depending on the player count:
- Highly tactical (and strategic) with 2 player
- Very chaotic for more players

Ultimately we felt that the game is at its best with two players and this is how it was published.

Four players:
As for playing the game using two copies this should possible but few things will need to be kept in mind:
- Initiative order might need to be resolved differently (we tested various approaches and all had benefits and drawbacks)
- Wording on the module/installations takes into account only two players. Most of them can be easily adopted to more players but some might require some ruling.
- You will need some way to mark the ownership of modules.

Please also bear in mind that a lot of final changes and tweaks were done on a strictly two player version of the game so the four player version might have suffered.

You could also consider (if you decide to get a second copy) to play a "mini cup" or "mini league" with two two-players games played simultaneously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Neale
United Kingdom
Finedon
Northants
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for a very thorough answer Wojtek. It's certainly given me some food for thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.