Hide
14 Posts

Pericles: The Peloponnesian Wars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Do bases move ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stavros Kaketsis
msg tools
A silly question probably but I’m a bit confused!
Do bases move during a military expedition like other units?
I am asking because they are referred to the rule book as both a land and naval unit and on page 12 at 7.42 it says “league units and bases for either side have no effect on movement during piece . Etc.! “
So, do they move or are they stationary?
In our games thus far we kept them stationary!
thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The bases don't move, but frankly I'm struggling to cite a rule saying they don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stavros Kaketsis
msg tools
I’ve skimmed the whole rulebook countless times and i haven’t found it either!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Sterner
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rule of thumb in wargames says that the rules tell you everything that is possible to do. Silence does not grant permission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marconi wrote:
Rule of thumb in wargames says that the rules tell you everything that is possible to do. Silence does not grant permission.

I don't think anyone is disputing that, but a rules oversight is still an oversight and worth mentioning for errata/future printing purposes. In some COIN games, bases can be relocated (granted, not by usual movement rules), so the interpretation isn't that outlandish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neaell wrote:
A silly question probably but I’m a bit confused!
Do bases move during a military expedition like other units?
I am asking because they are referred to the rule book as both a land and naval unit and on page 12 at 7.42 it says “league units and bases for either side have no effect on movement during piece . Etc.! “
So, do they move or are they stationary?
In our games thus far we kept them stationary!
thanks in advance!

Yes, bases cannot move. No one has ever asked this question... GG.

I'll add something to the rules down the line.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryszard Tokarczuk
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An example how every person can read/see/understand things differently. On the bottom part of the map there is this chart about connections and requirements for it. Route, cube (land unit) and rectangle (navy unit). No disc there.

I always understood those that if I want to move that type of an unit through that type of route... I need to compare strength in the area etc. No disc is to be found in the chart, so I never really thought that bases can move or be redeployed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marconi wrote:

I thought the same thing then I double checked the rules.

The problem lies in the definition of a base in section 3.2 "Each side has wooden disks that represent bases that are both land and naval units".

The rules for a military movement during an expedition (9.32) state that "allows the movement of any one Friendly military unit, land or naval".

So movement of a base, since it's both a land and a naval military unit, would be permitted. Not the intention, I'm sure, but the wording permits it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOneTrueZeke wrote:
Marconi wrote:

The problem lies in the definition of a base in section 3.2 "Each side has wooden disks that represent bases that are both land and naval units".

The rules for a military movement during an expedition (9.32) state that "allows the movement of any one Friendly military unit, land or naval".

So movement of a base, since it's both a land and a naval military unit, would be permitted. Not the intention, I'm sure, but the wording permits it.

We can debate this if you want. The chart is absolutely clear that there is no condition where a base can move. The words can be construed to allow it, my bad. I will add another sentence that says that bases while they act in battle as naval/land units can never move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is possible for Athens and Sparta to have bases in the same theater. Maybe the OP doesn't grok that yet, so he reasoned they could move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Michael
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TheOneTrueZeke wrote:
Marconi wrote:

With a literal interpretation of the rules you might be right yes. However we must not forget that games such as this are trying to abstractly represent things that exist (or existed) in the actual world. If we are able to remind ourselelves of this, we will have a much easier time correctly interpreting rules as intended and we will never contemplate that those wooden disks which represent fortified infrastructure would be able to move around like ships and soldiers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grapesoda83 wrote:

With a literal interpretation of the rules you might be right yes. However we must not forget that games such as this are trying to abstractly represent things that exist (or existed) in the actual world. If we are able to remind ourselelves of this, we will have a much easier time correctly interpreting rules as intended and we will never contemplate that those wooden disks which represent fortified infrastructure would be able to move around like ships and soldiers.

Remember that the OP was already playing the rule correctly in spite of not knowing. He's just looking for an explicit rule he can cite to confirm it; and if there isn't one, there ought to be for the sake of dotting the "i"s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stavros Kaketsis
msg tools
Thanks for all the replies, guess i was playing it correctly after all! :-)

I wish you all a happy new year with lots of gaming and fun, take care!

P.S.
Mr. Herman, Pericles is a great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neaell wrote:
Thanks for all the replies, guess i was playing it correctly after all! :-)

I wish you all a happy new year with lots of gaming and fun, take care!

P.S.
Mr. Herman, Pericles is a great game!

Thank you Stavros... I am glad you are enjoying the game.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.