michael humphreys
United States
Carney’s Point
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[i initially posted a version of this in Marco's video review]

I've been looking for a broad Wargame... I know Marco has said this is not Introductory... I have only played Twilight Struggle (and I know it's not a traditional wargame).... I also have in my collection, but have not played triumph and tragedy...
If I can handle the former, could I handle this? And… If I have the latter, do I NEED this? Or some other Wargame? I know many have lauded Combat Commander....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Lowe
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Triumph & Tragedy is simpler, and enables you to conduct the WW2 ETO in one sitting. US:WW2iE is more detailed, delivering an experience which is both longer & richer (tho it has focussed scenarios which can be played in one sitting).

I'm by no means a wargamer, and certainly not a monster warmer - but these rules are really clean/elegant. They're a step up from Twilight Struggle certainly, but their length belies the effort needed to grok them. And the first few scenarios serve as a phased learning experience, each one layering on new rules, so you can swallow them in chunks.

The low counter density, elegant rules & phased learning approach mean this game can be handled by people (like me!) who'd normally be intimidated by games of this scale. I think it's amazing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can read rulebooks and you want to play this there's no reason you can't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mansfield
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on what kind of experience you’re looking for, are interested in and what kinds of players you can gather (or are you soloing). All the games you mentioned are outright beauties and some of the best war game titles. But each are also about as different as you can get and still be in the same genre. Different mechanics, structures, narrative and scale.

USE is big, but it’s elegant like a finely crafted piece of prose writing, and not a monster game. It’s elegant in multiple ways. Nothing is there that shouldn’t be, it has low counter density and models force projection, well laid out rulebook and multiple scenarios. You’re replaying the European Theatre in detail but not insane levels found in counter heavy monster games. It’s my favorite strategic level ETO game and could be studied for years.

Triumph and Tragedy is another strategic ETO but as a block game it’s mechanics couldn’t be more different than USE and understanding it won’t help you understand USE. It’s a Beer and pretzel game, and I don’t mean that in any demeaning way because playing it is some of the most fun I’ve ever had playing a game.

Combat Commander, my all time favorite tactical level game...period. But again, it’s nothing like USE except that both take place in WWII.

So again, ask yourself what kind of experience you want?

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Boulter
United Kingdom
Bristol
UK
flag msg tools
badge
knowledge is power
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Unconditional Surrender! Case Blue its a small intro print and play baby sibling of USE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Spiller
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
Sic Semper Tyrannis
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to wargaming as well and Unconditional Surrender: Case Blue was my first game, swiftly followed by the full Unconditional Surrender. Highly recommend if your willing to put in the time to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Mihacevich
msg tools
I just made the jump from Axis and Allies Global 1940 to USE and I am really enjoying it. I have been solo playing my way through the scenario book with not too much trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
stowcreek wrote:
[i initially posted a version of this in Marco's video review]

I've been looking for a broad Wargame... I know Marco has said this is not Introductory... I have only played Twilight Struggle (and I know it's not a traditional wargame).... I also have in my collection, but have not played triumph and tragedy...
If I can handle the former, could I handle this? And… If I have the latter, do I NEED this? Or some other Wargame? I know many have lauded Combat Commander....

For new wargammers, Unconditional Surrender may be a fatiuging experience. My opinion, play a couple less-complex hex-and-counter games first.* Marco doesn't appear to spend a lot of time playing some of the wargames he reviews. You're much better off finding some GeekBuddies who play the games your interested in. Ask them for their insights. Most will be happy to help.

The games you mention are all quite different, imo. Triumph and Tragedy really needs three players. Unconditional Surrender is perfect with two, or one. However, interestingly they both have about the same number of rules questions in their forums. To me, T&T is much lighter than Unconditional Surrender. Obviously, individual opinions and experiences vary.

*As a first step, perhaps try The Mighty Endeavor (west front) or A Victory Lost (east front).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im going to try this. Read little in the rulebook and player book. Its very nice to see, "here read just these rules and then try this scenario." Then read also these and try the next scenario. Seems really nice!
I have played games like Combat Commader, Twilight Struggle, Julius Caesar, Friedrich, Maria, Washingtons War, Space Empires 4x.

This is going to be a beast but the smaller scenarios seems exciting so I think I will give it a go.

Also my friend have Cataclysm on the way so we will start from there, which I think will be nice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.