GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,863 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

An Infamous Traffic» Forums » Rules

Subject: Opium War Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Scheiderich
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In 6.2.4 it says "After the war, reset the Outrage marker to zero on the Outrage track and adjust the Qing Forces track to reflect the number of Qing Forces remaining in China. Then check for any newly completed supply chains (7.2). Finally, check each region to see if demand expands or contracts following the procedure in 4.3.1. If demand expands, the player with the Start Player counter chooses which dice from the pool are added to the necessary regions."

During a Opium War per 6.2.3, Qing/Bureaucrats get removed (Battle), ports get Opened and/or Influence counters discarded.

Removing 'yellow counters' - Qing and Bureaucrats - the former first - would not lead to a Demand increase? If so, how?

Second, opening a port collapses the Outer and Inner Seas, removing any Smuggler on the Inner Sea - which should result in removal of a Demand die to the Pool. A die is also taken from the Pool and out of the game. I don't see a way for the Demand to increase in adding dice? If so, how?

I am assuming that all rule cases under 6.2 are resolved before any other action are taken...

TIA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
The removal of bureaucrats can cause supply chains to break. If this happens then the demand will increase as there will be new uncommitted smugglers.

I think that should answer your questions. Let me know if any remain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Scheiderich
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole,

PLS IGNORE THIS AND MY NEXT POST!

Thanks for the response. I get Bureaucrat removal breaking a chain. That should cause all player enterprise counters to be removed as well from that chain. (Assuming the effect is the same...as for example, a Smuggler removed on a Police Action breaking a chain)

But I have to admit I am struggling with "new uncommitted Smugglers" part of your response. In the context of 6.24 Cleanup and looking at phase 6, Foreign and Domestic Affairs as occurring right before the end of a turn, not in a subsequent action, in a new turn, where a new Smuggler may replace the Bureaucrat thus entering a new Demand die. The only new Smugglers that should be available is from a Conspiracy action!?

What am I missing? [Now harboring serious doubts about my understanding the game - which first play for me is Sunday.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Scheiderich
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK - have found the answer.

There is a rule thread https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1677135/dice-and-counter-mo... that discusses "uncommitted Smugglers". That term does not show in the rules at all!

Essentially, what you said in response to me, is that if the chain is broken by Bureaucrat removal that the now again "uncommitted" Smuggler brings another die to the Region increasing Demand. OK, I get it.

What I missed was that when the chain completes, Demand reduces by removing a die thus when the chain breaks, it adds the die back. I also forgot that Smugglers are in supply chains and dice are Regional.

Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.