The Lamps Are Going Out» Forums » Rules

Subject: Scorched Earth and non-Russian units rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Denis Cobrousev
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If both Russian and non-Russian armies defend in an area, may player use Scorched Earth ability (assuming the event is active) there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting question...

The Event Card clarification document (link below), says:
"Russian armies may now opt to legally retreat all armies in an area in lieu of making a unit spent after a combat loss..."
(bold emphasis mine)

I'd say that due to the choice of wording, the subject of the action is [only] "Russian armies". If it was meant to apply to all (as in any nation) armies in the space , then I imagine the wording would've been instead something like: "All Triple Entente armies may now opt to legally retreat..."

To conclude, my personal interpretation is that it applies only to Russian armies. Also, thematically, the card represents a practice that was pretty-much a Russian thing.

Link to Event Cards clarification: Lamps Event Card List and Clarifications

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Uhlmann
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
I don't recall this having come up, perhaps since there weren't any opportunities where Serbian or Romanian armies were in Russian territory.

Since the rule also specifies that the attacking forces may advance without any garrison roll, it assumes the space will be vacant.

My thinking at the moment is that while a Russian unit must be present to use the ability, any allied armies present may also retreat (similar to normal retreats) but I think in the spirit of the card's ability that they can only retreat to a space in which a Russian unit has also retreated (as opposed to any friendly territory). So if there are two Russian armies and a couple of allied ones, the allied armies could only retreat to one or the other spaces where the Russian units go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Torr wrote:
I don't recall this having come up, perhaps since there weren't any opportunities where Serbian or Romanian armies were in Russian territory.

Funny... when I read the OP's question, I was thinking of a situation where a British army could be in the same space as a Russian army?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bailey
msg tools
mbmbmb
Strange game if the OP situation came up. I'm having a hard time seeing how it could happen, frankly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

jim bailey wrote:
Strange game if the OP situation came up. I'm having a hard time seeing how it could happen, frankly.

Well isn't the whole point of the T.E. player capturing Gallipoli and Anatolia is so that that Great Britain can move into the Ukraine via the Black Sea, to aid the Russians? Thus both Russian and GB units can be defending together in the same space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Cobrousev
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jim bailey wrote:

Well, it was speculative question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bailey
msg tools
mbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

jim bailey wrote:

Well isn't the whole point of the T.E. player capturing Gallipoli and Anatolia is so that that Great Britain can move into the Ukraine via the Black Sea, to aid the Russians? Thus both Russian and GB units can be defending together in the same space.

It sure is, but that would still be a very strange game if the Brits were supplying through the Black Sea *and* landing units *and* Russia had to invoke Scorched Earth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bailey
msg tools
mbmbmb
Denis Cobrousev wrote:
jim bailey wrote:

Well, it was speculative question.

OK, I thought it was based on an actual gameplay situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

jim bailey wrote:
It sure is, but that would still be a very strange game if the Brits were supplying through the Black Sea *and* landing units *and* Russia had to invoke Scorched Earth.

Yes, strange indeed.

I've only played two games thus far, and in neither game did the Brits even bother with getting into the Black Sea to help the Russians.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.