Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Spellweaver XP question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Southworth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only level 1 so no spoilers for future cards please.

Some of the Spellweaver cards have a +1 attack on them and a 1 XP. Frost Armour is such a card. I know i have to spend an element on the track to get the +1 Attacj, but do i also have to have done that to get the 1 XP? If so i can't see the Spellweaver ever getting much XP in a scenario. In the last game i only got 4 XP whereas the Brute and Scoundrel got 15-17 as they weren't generating the elements for the Spellweaver to consume and therefor get XP. Loads of traps were being generated by the Archers so the Scoundrel was having a field day disarming and getting 2XP per trap and 2XP for poison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
Did you perhaps miss the two really big attacks which net one experience point per enemy targeted? You should be looking to use both those cards twice in a single scenario, netting anywhere from four to potentially fourteen experience total. If you're not using these cards, you're very plainly playing the Spellweaver wrong.

To answer your specific question, yes Mana Bolt and Frost Armor both have their experience gain abilities tied to the element consumption.

However, 15 experience seems a bit high for Brute and Scoundrel. Maybe there are some other rules you missed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Arkleton
South Korea
flag msg tools
At level 1 you should be generating your xp with the spellweaver from your multi target cards and summon, Fire Orbs, impaling eruption and Aid from the ether should be bringing in good xp as well as the occasional 1 point gain from when Mana Bolt uses an element.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Moura
msg tools
Just a quick initial rant cause ppl are too insane about spoilers in Gloomhaven. Higher level cards are not spoilers, you have acess to everything from any class you have unlocked (the higher level cards aren't in a sealed box are they ?), you are suposed to check future cards you gona have the option to get to plan a strategy, like do you favor bottom action this level or top action, do you need more movement now or can you wait that one good move card from future levels, would you need a specific elemental generating card now to take advanatge of an elemental spending card in the future etc. Don't treat your upgrade cards as spoilers please, study the class and elaborate a level up strategy.

Now that aside, yes you need to spend the element for the 1 XP (small xp icon in front of an ability, if it was a big XP incon standing there by itself youd get it as long as any action on that side of the card had been performed) . Also Spellweavers are a XP generating machine, you're suposed to use your lost cards twice per scenario. Flame Orbs alone generates you 6 XP per scenario, you can easilly explore mana bolts elemental spending extra damage + XP for 2-3 XP per scenario (use it after Flame Orbs for once), you can use your summon twice and thats 4 XP and if you're running Cracling Air and/or Frost Armor it is 6 more XP on one and 4 XP on the other. Its easy to end a scenario with 15+ XP and thats before computing the extra XP for winning.

The Spellweaver has a bit of a trap in its design tough, in the fact that Reviving Eather is a required card for the class to function. If you, by any chance, removed that card because you tough you don't need it, return it and try to use it after you have lost 5 - 7 cards to recover you entire hand of cards. While Reviving Ether hasn't been used yet you can be as agressive as you like, use all your loss cards to your hearts content, blast things to bits with powerfull AoE attacks then get every card back and start being conservative after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also a bit of a trap. Our spell weaver has yet to figure out a timing strategy that doesn't result with him exhausted by just blowing through his lost cards and not using them occasionally for normal discards and resting. Sometimes he does make it to the last round or two, but it's enough of a problem that no one picks the 'no allies exhaust' battle card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
Throknor wrote:
It's also a bit of a trap. Our spell weaver has yet to figure out a timing strategy that doesn't result with him exhausted by just blowing through his lost cards and not using them occasionally for normal discards and resting. Sometimes he does make it to the last round or two, but it's enough of a problem that no one picks the 'no allies exhaust' battle card.
I definitely don't recommend what Mauro suggests, to just fire off lose effects willy nilly, but the Spellweaver should definitely be using one lose effect per rest. At level 1, that just means using both of your big hitters, and then maybe set up a turn to use both the 8 move and Reviving Ether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Moura
msg tools
Throknor wrote:

Spellweavers being exhausted at the very end or near the end of a scenario is not unusual. If you never use loss and disconsidering Reviving Ether you have 16 turns to play before exhausting (not counting turns youre long resting). If you use a loss card on your first rotation (before your first rest) you loose 3 turns, if you use 2 you loose 6. A way I found to balance things well is using only 1 loss card on the first rotation(usualy Flame Sphere + Power Potion activating the goggles for advatage, that card is awesome) and then 2 loss card on my second rotation or 1 on the second and 1 on the third.

After that I'll have 3 cards on hand, I play the 2 non Reviving Ether ones, do a short rest (usualy, if the situation allows it I long rest here) then play Reviving Ether on the next turn and return 6 cards to hand (you can actualy return all 7 cards if you pair Reviving Eather with a bottom loss card), that gives you 12 more turns, 21 plays is time enought to win (specialy because if you long rest most of the time this is actualy 26 or so turns). After this point I tend to hold to loss cards and use them only on high necessity situations or nearing the end where I go nuts again and blast things to bits. It tends to work rather well.

Joou wrote:

I definitely don't recommend what Mauro suggests, to just fire off lose effects willy nilly, but the Spellweaver should definitely be using one lose effect per rest. At level 1, that just means using both of your big hitters, and then maybe set up a turn to use both the 8 move and Reviving Ether.

I was speaking in general terms, you have a wide birth while you still haven't used Reviving Ether, and you are on a tight timer after. But if you do go nuts firing on all cilinders at the start of the scenarion and play conservatively later you play around 16 - 18 turns (considering long rests), wich is enought to win if you did enought damage on the begining to own the first one or two rooms of the scenario (wich is very possible to do).

Spellweavers hand size is small to begin with, so you will end up playing more or less the same amount of turns regardless of where you are using the loss cards. As a base parameter, considering you have 3 loss cards, if you don't use loss cards on the first second and third rotations and then use all 3 on the 4th (otherwise you won; t have enought time to use all 3) you'll play 14 turns befor eusing Reviving Ether. Now you need to balance how much extra time did it cost you to not use your loss cards early, or how much HP or cards other players in your party (or even yourself) had to loose because you didn't just demolish the entire room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Kar
msg tools
We just played through the second scenario (our 4th including random dungeons). I made 14 XP as spellweaver before scenario bonuses.

What's your player count? At 4 players, I'm always using Impaling Eruption and Fire Orbs for about 3 XP each (I even asked my teammates to line up shots for Impaling Eruption). That's 12 XP right there, and picking up a bit extra for the occasional consume-for-mana.

I think I might be leading our Brute for XP. If you're struggling, make sure you're using Fire Orbs and Impaling Eruption at the right times, and I think that alone might resolve the issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Moura
msg tools
abakus wrote:
We just played through the second scenario (our 4th including random dungeons). I made 14 XP as spellweaver before scenario bonuses.

What's your player count? At 4 players, I'm always using Impaling Eruption and Fire Orbs for about 3 XP each (I even asked my teammates to line up shots for Impaling Eruption). That's 12 XP right there, and picking up a bit extra for the occasional consume-for-mana.

I think I might be leading our Brute for XP. If you're struggling, make sure you're using Fire Orbs and Impaling Eruption at the right times, and I think that alone might resolve the issue.

I do not know the number of players he is playing with, however Impaling Eruption is way less efficient with 2 players, Id advise anyone thats playing with two players to use Crackling air instead of Impaling Eruption.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
timothée licitri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
two last scenario I made 25 xp then 31 xp. I was exhausted before the end of the scenario but my team mate has the time to finish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Southworth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're playing 3 players, Spellweaver, Brute and Scoundrel. We'll be tackling a side quest tonight, i'll see how the XP split goes and prey the Scoundrel doesn't have so many traps to disarm as we're only 2 quests in and he's got more than double my XP already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
zaphoduk wrote:
We're playing 3 players, Spellweaver, Brute and Scoundrel. We'll be tackling a side quest tonight, i'll see how the XP split goes and prey the Scoundrel doesn't have so many traps to disarm as we're only 2 quests in and he's got more than double my XP already.

We're scoundrel/spellweaver/tinkerer/craigheart, and our scoundrel is well behind everyone else in XP, the spellweaver has the most. The craigheart generates enough elements for the spellweaver to use, that she's basically always getting an XP per turn, meanwhile with out melee support the scoundrel misses out on most of her XP and damage boosts.

Isn't the scoundrel disarm a trap card a throw away after use? I don't remember and can't be bothered to look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
squegeeboo wrote:
zaphoduk wrote:

We're scoundrel/spellweaver/tinkerer/craigheart, and our scoundrel is well behind everyone else in XP, the spellweaver has the most. The craigheart generates enough elements for the spellweaver to use, that she's basically always getting an XP per turn, meanwhile with out melee support the scoundrel misses out on most of her XP and damage boosts.

Isn't the scoundrel disarm a trap card a throw away after use? I don't remember and can't be bothered to look.
It is not. It's also 2 XP.

Also, Craig, did you read through the thread? You should ideally be using your Flame Orbs and Impaling Eruption twice a scenario. I'm repeating myself, but it's just THAT important to the Spellweaver as a character to be able to do this. Try it out, you'll be surprised!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Southworth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't get a chance to try the strategy last night. Had a really bad first round on a quest where zero damage was done to any of the six mobs on the board and our Brute was killed in round 2 without being given a chance to activate. Having played three quests and failed two of them now we're a little bit deflated and have decided to take a break form the game for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Baker
msg tools
zaphoduk wrote:
Didn't get a chance to try the strategy last night. Had a really bad first round on a quest where zero damage was done to any of the six mobs on the board and our Brute was killed in round 2 without being given a chance to activate. Having played three quests and failed two of them now we're a little bit deflated and have decided to take a break form the game for a while.

Did you remember the “lose a card to negate all damage from a single source” rule? I don’t think it’s even possible to get killed in round 2 if you remember that rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravi Bhikhie
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a while since I played the Spellweaver but I remember gaining XP like crazy.

Frost Armor is one, off the top of my head.
Remember, you can play all your loss cards fairly quickly and them get it back with Reviving Ether.
I should add, these cards that are 'lost' when playing USUALLY come with XP gains.

Also, as a general rule: the Spellweaver is made out of tissue paper. Sometimes with Frost Armor. Stay behind bigger players and attack from a distance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Southworth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was only after watching a video play through earlier today did i realise we'd totally forgotten the rule about discarding a card to mitigate damage.

As for the Spellweaver thing, i managed to crape 4 XP as i got 3 XP for using the target 3 mobs ability and 1 XP for something else before diving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
zaphoduk wrote:
It was only after watching a video play through earlier today did i realise we'd totally forgotten the rule about discarding a card to mitigate damage.

As for the Spellweaver thing, i managed to crape 4 XP as i got 3 XP for using the target 3 mobs ability and 1 XP for something else before diving.
My recommendation is that you read the rulebook again, carefully, and then read the FAQ stickied in this very forum to check what other rules you're missing. Checking the rules won't make up for poor tactical decisions, but it will ensure you're playing to your fullest ability. In general, if you're getting hit THAT many times a few turns in, even factoring in losing cards to mitigate damage, you've made some catastrophically poor choices and need to rethink your entire strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ftl ftw
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note - it's not *discarding* a card to negate damage, it's *losing* a card from your hand (or two from your discard pile).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Altman

Florida
msg tools
I’ve only played 6 games so far (lost one of them when I accidentally exposed myself to enough damage where I had to lose reviving ether before I could use it)... it seems to me that the Spellweaver gets XP really fast! My last game I got 19 experience (+6 for winning the scenario). I’m already level 3.

Just gotta use the frost armor, the one that enhances your attacks, impale, and fire orbs effectively. Those alone if used twice with reviving ether nets you up to 20 experience (2+2+3+3=10*2=20) Add the element boosts that give experience on some attacks and the spellweaver really moves up fast.

The impale can even do more of you don’t mind the disadvantage on the 4th monster...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.