1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: Next game after Forbidden Island/Desert for a 6 year old? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mathieu L.
Canada
flag msg tools
We played a lot of Forbidden Island/Desert and I think we are ready for another fast coop game. I have Mice and Mystics waiting, but I think he's not ready yet for a game long like that.

I thought of Pandemic: The Cure?

And I thought of Escape: The Curse of the Temple but I think he's not ready yet for real-time game.

Other coop he played and liked: Onirim, Leo, Outfoxed, Monster Chase. We don't like Hanabi.

He can't read yet, but he remember all the cards easily.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Recht

Brooklyn
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you wanted to continue the Mat Leacock love affair, there's always Mole Rats in Space, which works well. Othe co-ops my 5 year old likes are Castle Panic, and a lot of the Peacable Kingdom games.

If you wanted to switch to competitive games, my 5 year old also loves King of Tokyo, Eight Minute Empire (fantasy), and rumble in the House. All of these are reliant on understanding symbols (aside from the power cards in Tokyo, but you can read them to him).

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc B.
United Kingdom
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Castle Panic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu L.
Canada
flag msg tools
Chesterfester wrote:
If you wanted to continue the Mat Leacock love affair, there's always Mole Rats in Space, which works well. Othe co-ops my 5 year old likes are Castle Panic, and a lot of the Peacable Kingdom games.

If you wanted to switch to competitive games, my 5 year old also loves King of Tokyo, Eight Minute Empire (fantasy), and rumble in the House. All of these are reliant on understanding symbols (aside from the power cards in Tokyo, but you can read them to him).

Hope this helps!

I completly ignored Mole Rats in Space because of the title and the look, but now that I know it's Matt Leacock, I'll buy it! Castle Panic is a good idea, but I'm not sure about the 60min gameplay time. We have a lot of competitve boardgame but me and his mom are tired of Forbidden Island/Desert, we need something else

Thanks for the ideas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d b
United States
De Forest
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
The road is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind.
badge
I taught my dog to play Mage Knight... good dog.
mbmbmb
You could try Flash Point: Fire Rescue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you have Mice & Mystics already, I will share that I have played it with young kids successfully. We have just played one tile at a time and have taken photos to save our progress. The actual game, beyond the logistics of setup, is very accessible for a five year old, making movement decisions and rolling lots of dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic: The Cure is an excellent co-op. It's abstracted enough from the 'pandemic' concept so that a kid can see "Oh, there's dice building up over there, we have to remove them, so let's do that."

The roles in the base game are fairly straightforward while still being interesting. If you've played Forbidden Desert, the roles are a small step up in complexity, but the game play is pretty similar in weight.

Best of all, Pandemic: The Cure has great game 'moments' that you can look back at post-play. It's harder to win than Forbidden Island, but easy co-ops are boring.

I'd also suggest Burgle Bros. It's a heist game by Tim Fowers (Paperback, Fugitive) that provides what I'd say is the best co-op experience out there. Lots of great game moments, you really have to work as a team and the exploration aspect and automated guard means there's always tension to the game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lin W

Auckland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Outfoxed by Gamewright is a quick coop game. But it might possibly be too light for your 6-yr old if he's used to Forbidden Island and Desert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu L.
Canada
flag msg tools
vtnut wrote:
Outfoxed by Gamewright is a quick coop game. But it might possibly be too light for your 6-yr old if he's used to Forbidden Island and Desert.

Yes Outfoxed is great game, we have it. But we don't play much anymore with our 6 year old, we will try it with our 3 year old soon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Kelso
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am sure you have considered Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters? It is such a great looking game that draws kids in but still forces meaningful decisions and planning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu L.
Canada
flag msg tools
Yes but it's sold out at most of the stores I buy my game usually

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 7 yr old plays

Flashpoint
Cottage garden
Takenoko
Tokaido
Marvel legendary
Avenue
Karuba
Magic maze - he is abnormally good at this for his age
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle Panic & Flashpoint where both hits at my house. Dungeon! was also popular. Dice games, in general, have always been a hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Knight Games
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some good suggestions here. I'd also add
The Lost Expedition
It is a quick-to-play cooperative about exploring the Amazon jungle to find the lost city. The game uses icons (no text) although the cards are numbered and there are stages in the game where they must be played in numerical order. Downsides: 1. Each round requires some forward planning as you need to work out the consequences of your actions. 2. The expedition members are 'common' to all players but they can die (this is a decision for the players).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hartnett
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My six year old likes Forbidden Island and recently picked up 7 Wonders. The first time he played he was partnered with my wife. Immediately afterwards, he asked to play again by himself. He did well in that second game and has asked to play again since. He doesn’t quite grasp the science cards, which is understandable, but otherwise, he’s got the overall concepts down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sobhi Youssef
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Evolution the beginning was great for our then 6 y/o. We still play from time to time.

I can't recommend kingdomino enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Nicholson
United States
Gilmer
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Give Raxxon a look very good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Co-ops don't get much faster than 5-Minute Dungeon. It's probably best with 3-4 players. I played a lot with my six-year-old daughter over winter break. I also vote for Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters.

Lee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
just john
United States
Liberty
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bikefreak wrote:

Flashpoint is my five year old boy's favorite game, and he has played a lot of games..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Williams
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Flash Point: Fire Rescue. My 8 year old loves this even more than Forbidden Island and Desert
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden island -> Forbidden Desert -> Forbidden Stars

The natural progression
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Systems
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ehartnett00 wrote:
He doesn’t quite grasp the science cards, which is understandable, but otherwise, he’s got the overall concepts down.

I know many adults who don't quite grasp the science cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Thompson
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When my kid was 6 yr old we played

Flashpoint
Tokaido
Marvel legendary
Pandemic
Machi Koro
Dragonwood

Those are ones I suggest. It would all depend on what they are interested in. Theme was the main thing that drew my kid in. The fact she could be a fire fighter, the fact she could create a garden, the fact she could build a team of some of her favorite super heros helped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anitra Smith
United States
Auburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmm! is a fantastic (and fast) co-op game for all ages. It's a dice-rolling, press-your-luck game with a highly adjustable difficulty level - and no reading!

Honestly, I love playing it with adults just as much as I do with my 3-year-old. A game takes about 15 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.