Simon McCracken
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hey all, new to WOA but not new to the D&D prepackaged games, yet still a few things to clarify.

1 - How do you know which powers count as a usable action? (eg utility powers, can you attack and use a power, where is the line?)

2 - items are used immediately yet have persistent effects, one in particular was the throwing shield. Granting +2 AC but you throw it as an attack and is used immediately. We played it like you have the shield (and +2 AC) until you throw the shield as an attack, in which case it's gone, is that correct (and plus does this count as your action for the turn)?

3 - Wondering if we were playing wrong, we played scenario 2 (hunt 12 monsters) and had a rogue, wizard and paladin, and even when the party briefly got separated, it wasn't a difficult game by any means, yet see a lot of people say otherwise. The wizard killed 6 people with flame sphere alone, and was able to attack again the next turn while still using last turns flame spheres... The paladin has pretty silly threat control too, we used one of his abilities to swap places with the rogue, smash face with the paladin and then the rogue can attack on his turn since he attacks 2 tiles away with his crossbow. Other things popped up that I forgot about but wondering where the difficulty is for other players?

4 - Question on doors, is it not possible to move to a door, open a door and move through it in one turn (excluding additional affects)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enterdragon91 wrote:
1 - How do you know which powers count as a usable action? (eg utility powers, can you attack and use a power, where is the line?)
Not sure what you are asking here as all powers can be used. At-Will and Dailies tend to be attacks and Utilities are usually used at ANY TIME during your HERO phase.

Enterdragon91 wrote:
2 - items are used immediately yet have persistent effects, one in particular was the throwing shield. Granting +2 AC but you throw it as an attack and is used immediately. We played it like you have the shield (and +2 AC) until you throw the shield as an attack, in which case it's gone, is that correct (and plus does this count as your action for the turn)?
This is a bad example since the "Captain America" shield is a permanent item. It comes back when you throw it. And yes, this is your attack action for the turn.

Enterdragon91 wrote:
3 - Wondering if we were playing wrong, we played scenario 2 (hunt 12 monsters) and had a rogue, wizard and paladin, and even when the party briefly got separated, it wasn't a difficult game by any means, yet see a lot of people say otherwise. The wizard killed 6 people with flame sphere alone, and was able to attack again the next turn while still using last turns flame spheres... The paladin has pretty silly threat control too, we used one of his abilities to swap places with the rogue, smash face with the paladin and then the rogue can attack on his turn since he attacks 2 tiles away with his crossbow. Other things popped up that I forgot about but wondering where the difficulty is for other players?
With four heroes you only need three kills each so it should be easier. With one hero soloing, it's not nearly so easily. Are you thinking of the Castle Ravenloft scenario where the party needs to get 12 items? 'Cause that one is a LOT worse what with the Treasure deck fulla non-items and items are mostly designed to be used up while playing anyways.

Enterdragon91 wrote:
4 - Question on doors, is it not possible to move to a door, open a door and move through it in one turn (excluding additional affects)?
I think you have to use your attack action to open a door, so you can't break up your move action into two parts. So, move next to the door, open it, have it blow up in your face, then be stuck there NOT on an edge so welcome to another Encounter!
devil
Honestly, just treat doors like dead ends and keep MOVING through the dungeon. The bad guy will show up no matter which door you go through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collector THX1138
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For rules to be certain I email WotC. They get back to you via email in a reasonable amount of time. Some rules in the rulebooks are open to interpretation by players imho that's why many say the rule books are poorly written.

https://wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2305/

You have to create a Wotc account which is no big deal

When you get official answers you should posts them here so everyone knows the answers

That's what I've done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collector THX1138
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EverywhereGames wrote:
Enterdragon91 wrote:
Not sure what you are asking here as all powers can be used. At-Will and Dailies tend to be attacks and Utilities are usually used at ANY TIME during your HERO phase.

I agree with Alan S. Utilities are not actions (the rulebook doesn't make it as clear as it could) so you can use actions and your Utilities during whichever phase the card says (usually the hero phase there maybe be ones that are used during the encounter or villain phase I'd have to look)

Enterdragon91 wrote:
I think you have to use your attack action to open a door, so you can't break up your move action into two parts. So, move next to the door, open it, have it blow up in your face, then be stuck there NOT on an edge so welcome to another Encounter!
devil
Honestly, just treat doors like dead ends and keep MOVING through the dungeon. The bad guy will show up no matter which door you go through.

Rules pg 15 Doors
Some Dungeon Tiles have an open door symbol. When an Adventure uses the door rules and you draw a tile with an open door, place the top Closed Door token on the symbol. A Hero that is in a square adjacent to a Closed Door token can try to open the door. Reveal what type of door it is by turning over the token. There are 3 types of doors:

✦ Unlocked: When you reveal an Unlocked Door, discard the Closed Door token.
✦ Trapped: When you reveal a Trapped Door, each Hero adjacent to the Closed Door token immediately takes 1 damage. Then discard the Closed Door token.
✦ Locked: When you reveal a Locked Door, place the face-up token back on the Dungeon Tile. While a Hero is adjacent to a Locked Door, he or she can attempt to unlock the door instead of attacking. If you roll a 10 or higher, you unlock the door. Discard the Closed Door token.

I unofficially play it similar to triggering trap tokens in ToEE and ToA by stepping on them to flip them and read them as a free action then discard them then continue any movement. which is why you move onto them as opposed to stopping movement to use the disable trap action. you step on traps to get to a tile edge to explore. that's the game design mechanical difference.

I move to the door, flip it over, remove it if it's open or trapped, then continue movement such as to get into the vault tile on one turn.

Why? because when it's Locked you can replace your Attack action to attempt to unlock it just like most traps by rolling a 10+ as a Disable trap action. then movement is a separate action. In comparison the unlocked or unlocked trapped door rules do not say anything about replacing an attack (or any other action)

So thematically open it and keep moving unless it's locked.

And I dug this up also see answered unofficially but the way I'm thinking : Door rules Tristan Hall (ninjadorg) answer "You only stop moving if the door is locked and you try to open it, because then it takes up an Attack action, as above. If it's Open or Trapped you can just discard the door token and keep moving towards the edge to then Explore if you have enough speed left." https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/628833/door-rules

Here's another reason, that's not in WoA but in the game system, There's coffin tokens in CR adventure 13 Hunt for Strahd

Special Adventure Rules Whenever a Hero explores and draws a new dungeon tile, he or she places a Coffin token face down on that tile. A Hero that ends his or her Hero Phase adjacent to a Coffin token can investigate that Coffin. The Hero flips the Coffin token over and follows the instructions on it.

you notice it says 'Investigate' it so it takes more effort in comparison to the ease of opening a door imho. and it happens at the End of the hero phase after all other actions. and I would say prior to resolving Conditions.

I also use LoD treasure chest token like coffins. chests aren't actually used in any LoD rules or adventures they're just extra tokens to play with. paraphrased from the adventure book "there's a lot of components in this box. not all of the components are used in the adventures"

But the rules should be clearer than that so that's why I say ask WotC.

That's why I edited this 8 times lol but I think what myself and Tristan Hall (ninjadorg) interpret is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enterdragon91 wrote:
Hey all, new to WOA but not new to the D&D prepackaged games, yet still a few things to clarify.

Hello Enterdragon91,

I like these games but the rules of these games are a bit of a mess.

1) In WoA your action is "Attack". All Daily Powers and At-Will Powers are attacks unless they say otherwise. Utility Powers are not attacks, unless they say otherwise. IMO the cards shuld have a symbol that denotes that using it is an action, but unfortunately they do not,

2) Play immediately means that the card is immediately "played in someones inventory", meaning that he or she starts to benefit from the item immediately. The Throwing Sield is a permanent item and you can throw it once every round and it comes back to you.

Personally I think that it is an overpowered item, that is fine for a single scenario but too good for the campaign, but according the rules you get the extra AC and extra attack each round.

3) I don't remember the specifics of that scenario, but if it only takes you to explore 12 tiles and kill the monsters that popped up, it sounds like an easy scenario, Typically the scenarios featuring a villain are tougher.

4) If the door is unlocked or trapped, you can do that in one turn, Move adjacent to the door, flip it (it does not take an action) and resolve possible damage from the trapped door, then you can continue moving. Only when the door is locked, it requires an Attack Action to try to force it open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Leeson
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Also, for the Capt. America shield, I'm pretty sure the card specifically says, "This does not count as an action." So you can toss the shield and do a regular attack and move and get the +2AC bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collector THX1138
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what Item Throwing Shield (aka Capt America Shield also acts like Xena’s Chakram) card text says

Interestingly enough it’s a card they use as an example on pg 13 the actual card is the same:

Item

Throwing Shield

You throw your shield at a nearby enemy, after which the shield returns in a graceful arc.

Play this item immediately

You gain a +2 bonus to AC while this item is in play.

Attack 1 Monster within 2 tiles of you. This action does not count as an attack action.

Attack +6 Damage 1

Price 2,000 gold

Example:

1. Move up to an adjacent Monster. Stop.

2. Perform the Attack action with one power (could be At-Will or Daily)

2a. Potentially use one Attack Treasure Item such as +2 Magic Sword
'You gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls against adjacent Monsters while this item is in play.'

2b. Hit or miss doesn’t matter.

3. You then get a free attack using the Throwing Shield (or it could have been used prior to the Attack action above). which means it’s ‘in play’

3a. Potentially use any Hero abilities on the Hero card (the big card with AC, HP, Move, Surge etc.)

3b. You can use one of the rare Damage Items (I verified this with WotC) Gauntlets of Ogre Power 'You deal +1 damage when you hit an adjacent Monster with an Attack while this item is in play'.

4. You might be able to pick up an item token or open a door as a free action or you could call it a non-action

5. Resolve any Conditions on your Hero

6. End of Hero Phase

7. The thematics & mechanics of the shield is that the item is always "in Play" on the Hero's body until the player loses it to a game effect such as an Encounter card, or is dead, just like most weapon and worn items such as a sword, gauntlets, wand, thieves tools, boots etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.