Jens Larsen
Denmark
Horsens
flag msg tools
Hi,

The Earth Elemental's earthquake attack says something along the lines of:

If the Earth Elemental is within one tile of a hero, it will attack all heroes within one tile with the Earthquake attack.

Is this limited to just one target tile, or does this attack target all heroes in the four tiles that can be considered "within one tile" of the Earth Elemental, north, south, east, west?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uthin wrote:
If the Earth Elemental is within one tile of a hero, it will attack all heroes within one tile with the Earthquake attack.
I take it to mean ALL heroes within one tile, which is the four NSEW tiles AND the tile the Earth Elemental is on, so five tiles total. It's a localized earthquake but not and HIGHLY localized earthquake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I agree with Alan S.

It means mechanically & thematically any NSEW tile

Why? because most other monsters with AoE (area of effect) move onto one tile and affect each hero on just that tile such as a spider swarm. that's what the AI on the card says.

If a Spider swarm is within 1 tile of a hero it moves to the closest hero's tile and attacks each hero on that tile with a million venomous fangs (I guess that means there's half a million spiders or 10 that bite a lot lol)

So knowing that, in the case of the Earthquake it doesn't say that the monster has to move onto a tile to attack, it just says within one tile (the tile he's on and any adjacent tile) so just like a mini earthquake. which makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Larsen
Denmark
Horsens
flag msg tools
That was also my take, especially with the wording "within one tile" which is basically just a range term and not something that limits an effect to one specified tile.

But the other two players disagreed, hence my question.

I think for it to have worked as they thought, it should have been something like "all heroes on a tile within one tile". That would have limited it as they expected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Amaral
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you that it's a cross-shaped attack.

Here is an example of wording used for a single tile attack within 1 tile from Castle Ravenloft:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
EverywhereGames wrote:
Uthin wrote:
I take it to mean ALL heroes within one tile, which is the four NSEW tiles AND the tile the Earth Elemental is on, so five tiles total. It's a localized earthquake but not and HIGHLY localized earthquake.

Just to further support accuracy, this is the correct answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.