Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Clark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I thought you'd look here...the answer is slightly cryptic
badge
Water has many forms, mostly in the form of hexes
mbmbmbmbmb
Q1: If the automa can't resolve an action, the rulebook says it takes no action during this turn. Does it still get the VP's at the end?

Q2: If this happens on advancing highest research (ie. the chosen track is already at L5), does it choose the next highest instead?

Q3: If this happens on advancing random research, does it choose another random or skip over the L5 track?

Q4: If this happens on a faction action (mostly Terrans with advancing Gaia research), does it carry out the rest of the card and get the VP's at the end?

Q5: If this happens on a power/QIC block with the Xenos (ie. only 1 spot left when they need 2), does the first block still happen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve C wrote:
Q1: If the automa can't resolve an action, the rulebook says it takes no action during this turn. Does it still get the VP's at the end?

Q2: If this happens on advancing highest research (ie. the chosen track is already at L5), does it choose the next highest instead?

Q3: If this happens on advancing random research, does it choose another random or skip over the L5 track?

Q4: If this happens on a faction action (mostly Terrans with advancing Gaia research), does it carry out the rest of the card and get the VP's at the end?

Q5: If this happens on a power/QIC block with the Xenos (ie. only 1 spot left when they need 2), does the first block still happen?

1) Yes. Note well: if the failed action is "build a mine," then it does a structure upgrade instead.

2) It chooses the highest one for which it can advance (or take the advanced tech tile if at L4 and the tile is available). So in that sense, it skips over all L5 research areas it has attained.

3) It always ignores research areas where it cannot advance. Suppose that you are at L5 on Terraforming, and the automa is at L4 with the advanced tech tile already taken. In that case, it cannot take an advance in Terraforming, and so Navigation is now the "first on the left" for the purposes of the research actions for the automa.

4) Yes.

5) I assume so.

The general principle for the research areas and power/QIC actions is that you only consider those for which the action is possible. Then, you use the number and arrow to select among these viable options. In particular, if the action is "advance highest research," you only consider those areas that are at the highest level of advancement and can still be advanced (or take a tile if at L4 and the tile is available).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Joakley815 is correct and 5) is also yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jumping in to give official confirmation: Joel and James are correct.

Thank you for helping out guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tibbles von tibbleton
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I just tried my first game against the automata (Terran), wanted to double check this topic. Does it sound like I played right if it pretty much ran out of actions by round 5? It had maxed the Gaiaforming track and had its buildings out, so it just went card after card only getting points. It ended with a score of 216. I know know GP scores are higher than TM, but for the default difficulty of the Automata, that seems...wow.

Edit: It scored 18 on both final scorings (buildings in federation and sectors). I couldn't match it building every building and that sector 6 in the default layout is way out there and hard for red to reach. It had lvl 5 Gaia and 2 lvl 4 techs. And then if I played the action cards right it was making 20-30pts per round as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Was it by chance that it didn't have a passing card in the last 3 cards in every round? I mean it's possible... I shuffled a classic solitaire game once as a teen and had all of one suit face up!

You turn the last 3 cards in the Automa deck and if one of those 3 have a passing symbol then the Automa passes. So sometimes it will not perform any of the last 3 card actions, sometimes all 3, and sometimes in between.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tibbles von tibbleton
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
Was it by chance that it didn't have a passing card in the last 3 cards in every round? I mean it's possible... I shuffled a classic solitaire game once as a teen and had all of one suit face up!

You turn the last 3 cards in the Automa deck and if one of those 3 have a passing symbol then the Automa passes. So sometimes it will not perform any of the last 3 card actions, sometimes all 3, and sometimes in between.

Hah, doh, I was just getting on to edit my post. I think I found what I did wrong. The instructions say to take the marked 6 cards and shuffle those separate from the other cards. I used the deck of other cards as the base deck and then added one of the 6 each time instead of vice versa. So my Automata was playing about 2x as many cards each round as it should have.

...Yeah...Wow, this explains why it would go like 5 actions past me passing . I'll assume I scored it right, I was just giving it too many actions and consequently 10-15 pts extra every round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tibbles wrote:
JamesWolfpacker wrote:

Hah, doh, I was just getting on to edit my post. I think I found what I did wrong. The instructions say to take the marked 6 cards and shuffle those separate from the other cards. I used the deck of other cards as the base deck and then added one of the 6 each time instead of vice versa. So my Automata was playing about 2x as many cards each round as it should have.

...Yeah...Wow, this explains why it would go like 5 actions past me passing . I'll assume I scored it right, I was just giving it too many actions and consequently 10-15 pts extra every round.

Yup, that should explain it .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tibbles von tibbleton
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
In a discovery that will shock you all, I learned not giving the Automata 5 extra actions every round makes it score much lower. This time the HH scored a mere 131.

The interesting downside though to using the right deck of cards was it only built at range 2 instead of at range 4 constantly. Which meant it grabbed fewer of my desired planets, but it also kept building the wrong direction from me and my hopes of 4 federations were dashed because I got 0 leech from round 4 onwards and had to build too many tps at full price. Next game I think I'll try to leave it a range 2 hole to build thru so it doesn't end up turtling to all the planets on 1 side because they're the cheapest in range 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.