Dungeon Degenerates: Hand of Doom» Forums » General

Subject: Wheels of Confusion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leigh Shepherd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A work in progress, but a prototype dial thing to keep track of the characters stats. You need some leather rivets (obviously!), some 3mm foam card, some other thinner card and printer label paper and a very steady hand!

If anyone is interested, and once I have perfected the recipe, I will upload the file if that's OK with Goblinko.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Radey
United States
EL CERRITO
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
yeah that's fine! those are cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tony dowler
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a pretty good idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Shepherd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK! not perfected, but good enough! If you have any tips for making these more accurately, then let me know!

Here are 4 workable wheels of (de)confusion:

Step 1 - print off this file (coming to the files section shortly I hope) on label paper - obviously, label paper that consists of one giant label rather than lots of small ones!

Step 2 - cut out the bits into manageable chunks and cover in that clear sticky back plastic stuff - you know the stuff! Then peel off the label and stick that to some decently thick card - something you can cut with scissors, so nothing too chunky.

Step 3 - Cut it all out! Scissors for the wheels and a craft knife for the front. Then get yourself some foamcard/board - 3 mm thick is the best. For now, just get a scrappy bit and drive a pin through the centre of the wheels - be as exact as you can here!

Step 4 - Do the same for the front! you can line them up - when pinning the front, there are little white dots to im for, but I recommend using the steel rule to make sure they are all as lined upp as possible

Step 5 - Then, using the edge of a good bit of foamcard, use a bradawl to make wider holes and also to punch a hole in the foamcard for the leather rivet to fit - while you are at it, draw around the left and right edges of the front and you can use a craft knife to cut out the back

Step 6 - push a leather rivet through - I got a bag of 100 for a few quid off ebay - you want the 6mm size. Use another craft knife that you dont mind blunting against the rivet to cut the excess card that is pushed through the back by the rivet - do this for the hole in the front and the wheel

Assemble and marvel (see pic 1)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leigh Shepherd wrote:
Step 2 - cut out the bits into manageable chunks and cover in that clear sticky back plastic stuff - you know the stuff!

i'm not ashamed to admit that i've absolutely no clue what that means (unless you mean "tape").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leigh Shepherd wrote:
Step 6 - push a leather rivet through - I got a bag of 100 for a few quid off ebay...

For those who don't have rivets handy (and don't want to buy them), here's an alternate suggestion which i use when creating homemade dials:

i've been out of the States long enough that i've forgotten what those little gold thingamabobs are called, but the "magic" part is not that, but the tiny slip of repurposed USB cable which sheaths each of them. That cable keeps the little gold thingamabobs from shredding (during normal use) the hole in the cardboard/foamcore dial. Any sufficiently large (or small) power cable will do, but i recommend a round one, rather than an oval one (like most power cords are). In the picture shown above, i had an ancient USB printer cable which was just the right thickness. The cable sheath should be just long enough to penetrate your dial and backing material, such that the back sides come out looking like:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.