Subject: Dragonfire 2p Am I doing this Right? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spike101x

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey guys,

My buddy and I have been trying to beat the first part of the campaign. All failures. By the third scene we just instantly die or survive half of a round. I'm all for s hard game but it seems like we're just not playing right. It shouldn't be this hard. I realize 2p is harder because 4 mobs vs 2 players is harder than 6 vs 4. I just want to make sure we're playing right:

1. When you begin a new scene you only have the cards from the last one + what's you bought in the market? No draws between scenes.

2. If an encounter is placed in front of a matching color add 3 tokens. This triggers no matter if it's your primary or secondary class (since we have to play as all of them)?

3. We feel really gold starved. I can buy maybe 3-4 low level cards or two decent ones before death. Drawing only 2 cards a turn makes it very hard to get enough damage to spread over so many bodies. The only reason we get anywhere is when I can get magic missile. Is this normal? Gold doesn't carry over from the last defeat, right?

4. Any other tips or dubious rules we may not have been playing correctly?

Ty!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Wood
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
- no draws between scenes, unless someone is stunned and heals 1 HP from the short rest. when a stunned character is healed they immediately draw two cards.

- this one...I admit I'm not certain. we play 2p and we ruled that it's only the color of your main class + any features that make you another class, i.e. eldritch knight would count as black and blue. could easily be wrong though.

- 2p is the best gold flow you're going to get in dragonfire. there are features that let you start with larger hand size and more gold, but with wastes of ancient empire a lot of the time it'll come down to you finding the flaming oil or magic missile from the market (or leveling to 3 and straight-up adding them to your deck)

2p rules:

-(-2) dragonfire level from playing 2p, (-1) dragonfire level from playing wastes of ancient empire. that's a total of 3 rounds before the first dragonfire level is played, unless you're level 2 or 3 and then the dragonfire level increases by 1 or 2 accordingly.

- swap out an equipment card for a bless. at level 2+ you can swap an equipment card for any market card(s) that add up to your level.

other than try, try again, my advice would be to never start scene 3 without flaming oil or a stacked hand. if this means you take an extra hit or the dragonfire level rises, do it, because if you can't immediately clear the tokens you will lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Garvens
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
OW!
badge
Suuuuuuuperrrrr!
mbmbmbmbmb
Spike101x wrote:

2. If an encounter is placed in front of a matching color add 3 tokens. This triggers no matter if it's your primary or secondary class (since we have to play as all of them)?
Ty!

This one has me a little confused. As far as I'm aware tokens are only added when an encounter featuring the tokens (x) rule comes into play. Then you add x tokens of the same color as the encounter regardless of what class it's up against.

I could be missing something, but I can't find anything in the rules about adding 3 tokens when an encounter is matched with the class it shares a color with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Lawrence
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wafflebob wrote:

I could be missing something, but I can't find anything in the rules about adding 3 tokens when an encounter is matched with the class it shares a color with.

I believe that is a special effect from the encounter. You get tokens based on the number of encounters in front of you and even more if they match your color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hutch
Australia
North Fitzroy
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have tried this 4-5 times as 2P with no success. Ended up as Level 2 and just went a did the Dungeon Crawl which succeeded first time and I have a nice one-use item for the next try.

I realised you 100% must have Flaming Oil for Scene 3 or you will lose. I put Caravan (feature) on both my characters based on this - as of last attempt but still failed to find them.

Magic Missile is OK but does not dispose of the Scene 3 tokens as they have 2 health.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Your turn completes and then the scene ends. You do not get any additional card draws from your deck. You do, however get an additional buy from the market during the short rest.

2. This rule from the Wastes of Ancient Empire adventure still might not apply but has slightly higher chances. The first character to receive an encounter when dealing them out always matches color, but the rest go around the table. At this point it is almost a 50/50 since 2 of you are taking all 4 colors and roles.

3. Don't always get trapped with wanting the high cost card especially in token heavy rounds. Sometimes its more important to have 2 lower level cards in your hand for the next turn rather than playing that fireball now, and then having to wait for it to cycle through your deck again.

-Make sure you are drawing your extra card when people have the 3 tokens
-Make sure to get the bless cards and lowered dragonfire level for 2 player
-Focus fire when possible. Strong offense is usually more important in this game than healing or preventing damage since offense kills the encounters while defense just blocks an attack that will start again next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike McCarthy
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nachofan wrote:
1. Your turn completes and then the scene ends. You do not get any additional card draws from your deck. You do, however get an additional buy from the market during the short rest.

2. This rule from the Wastes of Ancient Empire adventure still might not apply but has slightly higher chances. The first character to receive an encounter when dealing them out always matches color, but the rest go around the table. At this point it is almost a 50/50 since 2 of you are taking all 4 colors and roles.

3. Don't always get trapped with wanting the high cost card especially in token heavy rounds. Sometimes its more important to have 2 lower level cards in your hand for the next turn rather than playing that fireball now, and then having to wait for it to cycle through your deck again.

-Focus fire when possible. Strong offense is usually more important in this game than healing or preventing damage since offense kills the encounters while defense just blocks an attack that will start again next turn.

Draw extra card when you have the three tokens? Don't understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edparkmike1 wrote:
Nachofan wrote:

One of the rules associated with the adventure generated tokens is that if you have 3 or more adventure generated tokens that you draw a card from your deck.

Many people over look that clause, which is why it was pointed out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Journey
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
edparkmike1 wrote:
Nachofan wrote:

One of the rules associated with the adventure generated tokens is that if you have 3 or more adventure generated tokens that you draw a card from your deck.

I read through this thread and am still confused. What's an adventure generated token? Do you mean a token from a Dragonfire card? Tokens from an encounter card? Tokens from some other source? All of the tokens in play added together?

And what page is this alleged "draw a card if there are three tokens in play" rule on? Totally don't see that anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmb
radagast14 wrote:

And what page is this alleged "draw a card if there are three tokens in play" rule on? Totally don't see that anywhere.

It's part of the scenario rules, not the general game rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Journey
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Amaranth wrote:
radagast14 wrote:

It's part of the scenario rules, not the general game rules.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. For anyone else stumbling upon this thread, this comment is referring to the Wastes of an Ancient Empire scenario specifically. I'm still trying to beat Dungeon Crawl, which is why I was confused about where this rule was coming from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
radagast14 wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
edparkmike1 wrote:
Nachofan wrote:

I read through this thread and am still confused. What's an adventure generated token? Do you mean a token from a Dragonfire card? Tokens from an encounter card? Tokens from some other source? All of the tokens in play added together?

The original poster was speaking about attempting to solve Campaign Adventure #1 "Wastes of an Ancient Empire".

Spike101x wrote:
My buddy and I have been trying to beat the first part of the campaign. All failures. By the third scene we just instantly die or survive half of a round. I'm all for s hard game but it seems like we're just not playing right. It shouldn't be this hard. I realize 2p is harder because 4 mobs vs 2 players is harder than 6 vs 4. I just want to make sure we're playing right:

Part of that Adventure involves generating additional tokens based on the revealed encounters.

___
Was crafting answer when the reason for query was clarified.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Desmond
United Kingdom
Sawbridgeworth
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I waited until my 2p team were level 3 before attempting Wastes of an Ancient Empire. They could then both start with Flaming Oil in their equipment packs, along with the Blesses. They succeeded on their 2nd attempt and received some useful uncommon magic items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kerr Avon wrote:
I waited until my 2p team were level 3 before attempting Wastes of an Ancient Empire. They could then both start with Flaming Oil in their equipment packs, along with the Blesses. They succeeded on their 2nd attempt and received some useful uncommon magic items.

I have never made a campaign pair where this was the *plan*.

It has happened once that one of our campaign duos wasn't successful until getting to level 3, but we had a line of failures through levels 1 and 2 as we were trying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Mor
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Kerr Avon wrote:

I must be misunderstanding a rule here. I thought that 2p teams could only sub in items to their equipment pack on higher Adventure Levels, not character levels (rulebook p.28. So theoretically regardless of your character level you wouldn't be able to sub items into your equipment pack in Wastes of an Ancient Empire as it's Adventure Level 1.

I'm new to the game and still haven't been able to beat the first campaign level yet so I may be mistaken, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mswitch22 wrote:
Kerr Avon wrote:

I must be misunderstanding a rule here. I thought that 2p teams could only sub in items to their equipment pack on higher Adventure Levels, not character levels (rulebook p.28. So theoretically regardless of your character level you wouldn't be able to sub items into your equipment pack in Wastes of an Ancient Empire as it's Adventure Level 1.

I'm new to the game and still haven't been able to beat the first campaign level yet so I may be mistaken, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

In groups of 2, both players get 'swap ins' starting at level 2, regardless of the adventure level. It's been clarified that was the designer intent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Mor
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I see, thank you for the clarification. Good thing I checked, that will certainly help us beat the first campaign adventure as a 2p party!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget to level up the adventure with you (mostly just adjust the starting Dragonfire level).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Principia

Virginia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nachofan wrote:
Don't forget to level up the adventure with you (mostly just adjust the starting Dragonfire level).

And don't forget to level up your swap-ins accordingly as well: the Bless swap is always Bless, but the cost of the other cards you're allowed to swap in goes up with your level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.