Subject: Dealing With Limited Space---What Do You Do? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Kohlman
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I count myself lucky that I actually have a room dedicated to my gaming. That being said, it's pretty small and I am increasing having an issue storing my ever increasing collection of games.

Today I added a shelf on top of one of my walls which I figure can give me about 15-20 more spaces for games. I added a tall, slender shelf that is perfect for small-box games. I have put some games in a Plano (like my X-Wing) so I can stack them on top of each other so it only takes up one shelf and not two.

What tricks do you have? I have posted pictures of my gaming room below.

As you can see, I have a tall, slender shelf that I use for my small box games.

This is the shelf I added today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Cool. I think the trick here is getting rid of games you don't play, hiding games in other rooms, or in your car, or perhaps getting one more tall shelf for next to the fridge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I see tons more space for shelf. Your mistake is thinking you need to see the walls!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just went with storage shelves (not those Ikea-looking things that barely have any space). It's not easy finding ones that don't look like shit in a living space (and are affordable at the same time), but when you find some, you can pretty much line your entire walls with them and get a ton of storage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Van Verth
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperGLS wrote:
Cool. I think the trick here is getting rid of games you don't play, hiding games in other rooms, or in your car, or perhaps getting one more tall shelf for next to the fridge.

Or under your bed, or your sofa, or perhaps instead of your bed and sofa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
Something for the rag and bone man...
badge
No soldier outlives a thousand chances. But every soldier believes in Chance and trusts his luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
You have a lot of wall space left over, especially under the shelf you just added. I would get rid of the smaller shelves in favour of shelves that actually fit the space.

You can also sell off or donate any of the games you don't think you will play anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gentry

Siloam Springs
Arkansas
msg tools
I would recommend buying a new house with a larger gaming room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kohlman
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
I see tons more space for shelf. Your mistake is thinking you need to see the walls!

I'd love to do that, but then I wouldn't have room to walk! It is less than 1m (3ft) table to wall!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Andgen82 wrote:

I would recommend being pickier over what new games you buy & getting rid of the ones that are realistically surplus.

(Yeah, I know, not popular advice! lol)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emilien M
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kohlhatter wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

I'd love to do that, but then I wouldn't have room to walk! It is less than 1m (3ft) table to wall!

go on a diet.... doors are not 1m wide more like 90cm... and they have plenty of spare. Heck single bed sizes vary from 70cm (kids) to 90cm.

but seriously, if you're desperate for space there are 2 tricks:
A)Get rid of expansion boxes and combine all in the main box.

B)Get rid of some of the boards in your shelves, you're only piling 3-4 games with spare room on top, moving 8 games to the table to pick the bottom one isn't that big of a hassle.
Heck if you really need it, remove the shelves entirely, that wood isn't necessary. If you pile your games like bricks (moving by half on the row above), removing one won't collapse the ones above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ji Dan
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
haha. I thought this thread was going to be about finite playing surfaces.

Regarding you problem, I usually recommend buying a nice trunk (or trunks) and rotating your collection, which is legitimately a form of art and has value as collectibles. (Even if that value is low, it still has sentimental value.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strip the drywall off those walls and start stacking games in the voids between the studs. Like built-in shelves taken to their logical extreme. The games will then also provide a measure of insulation

Do you have a floorplan of this room, indicating the current setup? Hard to intuit a small room from photos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking good! Yes, space is always an issue with ever growing collection of games. Unfortunately I have had to resort to selling some games every year, but I keep taking even more games in to my collection, so it doesn`t help much. I don`t have my own gaming room. That is my dream someday, though... Right now I am using a wardrobe in way hallway. I have put in a small hanging shelf so that my small game boxes can live there. It is deep, this wardrobe, so I have games stacked behind games, so only like two thirds of my collection actually show. It is not ideal, but I make due with the space I have.

These images are from before I re-orginized, and increased my collection, so I still have better room in the closet than it looks here. But it is getting tight. I have another top shelf I might be able to use a bit, with som orginizing. But this is just about it. I have a small collection, and trying to keep it that way. I said I wouldn`t go above 100, now I try to keep below 200. Not an easy task. Ever still, with more orginizing, I might find space around the house, but I would rather keep it in one place. As you can see around the small hanging shelf, there is a possibility to make more shelves, put in something to store games in or something. But I have to remove some things first. A bit frustrating, but living in a small space(48 square metres), you need to be a bit inventive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
I have to admit, I did not expect to read "I actually have a room dedicated to my gaming" after such a thread title laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers conventions
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
kohlhatter wrote:

What tricks do you have?

I run small board game conventions. I store much of my collection (the games I don't actively play myself) in crates in a trailer on my driveway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys xxx
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kohlhatter wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

It really depends on how much less than 1m you have left. Over here standard clear opening of doors is 80cm and that´s also considered standard walking space between furniture. (Usually that should also be enough to put a chair there for an occasional 5th player.) Depending on how heavyweight you or your gaming friends are this can be reduced to as low as 60cm without causing problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some more drastic measures include:
-Combine expansions in to one box
-Get rid of game boxes entirely for some games
-Cull the collection

If you do decide to get rid of boxes consider how you actually play games. For me it’s actually favorite games with multiple expansions that this works best for because they are games that don’t need to be advertised on the shelf with thier boxes and I know I won’t be trading/selling them. So for example Ticket to Ride, and about 6 maps is stored in a cloth bin along with all it’s parts (and another game entirely) which are organized and bagged. Dominion at my house (all of it, more than 10 boxes including upgraded cards etc) sits inside storage sections inside a single bench.

This kind of arrangement can be particularly useful if you travel with games or take them to game nights. Small games and those with too much air in the original box (which tend to look the worst on shelves) could be combined or put into travel cases. Original boxes can be flattened and put into storage if you absolutely can’t part with them or need to feel like you could sell/trade/give them away if you ever need to (though personally I just recycle many)

These are extreme options for some but they do work for freeing up a ton of space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
My 2 cents :

That top shelf should be vertical and each square should be more focused on fitting games than an overall look of horizontal storage

Get rid of expansion boxes if it will fit in the main box. Obviously with the exception of any big KS games you have

I see Mousetrap there. While it's desirable to have everything in one room ; having mass market games in a game collection, especially if they are barely played, are a waste of space and (in my opinion) make a collection look a bit tacky. You have all these awesome modern games and when I see copies of Monopoly and the like just break Find another spot for them in a closet or in a bin somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Shelving units look nice, but usually create a lot of dead space unless you religiously tetris everything into them. Better to just stack games of similar box size from the floor up. For small boxes that don't from stable stacks, recycle the boxes and put them into photo carriers. And I have yet to buy an expansion I couldn't cram into the base and recycle the box.

My living room has games nicely organized in shelves. My game room/dining room just has several stacks of games on the floor and on top of a couple book shelves. And one closet has a bunch of games crammed in that I don't really care about and am too lazy to bother selling/trading/donating. I refuse to create more shelf space for games as that helps prevent me from growing my collection. I don't have enough time to play all the games I already own that I want to play more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife scattered my newest piles of games to the spare bedroom, erm ... storage dump and the attic, to make room for the Christmas tree. Threats have been made to move whatever is in the way next November to the actual garbage dump.

Hmmm ...

There's still open air in the attic, if I just build something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Dunn
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fenners wrote:
Andgen82 wrote:

I would recommend being pickier over what new games you buy & getting rid of the ones that are realistically surplus.

(Yeah, I know, not popular advice! lol)

This. I have a hallway with a shelf to store games. Granted it has spilled over some, but do a purge if you need space. Decide which games you can't live without and play a lot and those are obvious keepers. Then, look at what's left and start paring down based on same mechanic or same theme that you don't need multiples of. Didn't look at your shelves, but if you have Stone Age, Lords of Waterdeep, and Champions of Midgard, do you need three gateway worker placement games? Best of luck to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Royal
msg tools
mbmbmb
When you are playing in the room, do you feel crowded or comfortable? Like several folks here, I use a shelf limit to determine the number of games I own. Have you reached the limits of your room's space and perhaps need to be selective now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel G

Washington
msg tools
How about using your garage, that is where I store all of my games. On shelves from Home Depot. They are all together so they don't get lonely!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kohlman
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer a few questions, I do keep expansions in the main box if they fit---I don't usually keep the box inserts for space reasons. I then sometimes use the box tops for wall art, which you can see under the shelf I mounted on the wall. That's usually where the 5th player sits, like the DM during my D&D nights, so that space is out because they have to get up and move out of the room to let someone go to the bathroom who is sitting on one side of the table. I can get 5 people comfortable in the space, 7 is okay but that's the limit.

I do cull; every year at my local con I sell more than I come back with but through the year you tend to collect more. A few of the games on the top of the shelves is the "cull pile". I have space in my house but to try and keep my wife happy, I try to confine my hobby to this one room. She points out that she doesn't have a dedicated room and I do.

It was modified for gaming; it was an unfinished storage room that I converted over since our two spare rooms in my basement house our foreign exchange students.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Ganybyte wrote:
Some more drastic measures include:
-Combine expansions in to one box
-Get rid of game boxes entirely for some games
-Cull the collection

I do this......whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.