Subject: Room cleared, do I need to spend cards to collect loot? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Nehring
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
We are playing the first scenario and we have twice cleared a room of baddies and had coins on the floor.

We needed a full rest to collect cards but did we need to spend a full turn (2 cards) to collect the coins? The doors are closed... so we could take a nap, eat a sandwich, mop up the blood we spilled, etc. before regrouping and breaching the next room.

Did we need to actually spend the cards? Or could we just count those actions (and the movement to the door) as part of our rest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, you have to spend the cards. The slow drip of lost cards is always pressing against you. Remember that resting doesn't get you ALL your cards back; each time you rest is one more card in the lost pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
Also, remember you do not automatically get all coins when the scenario ends. When a scenario goal is achieved, you still play out till the end of the round, so someone might still grab some loot, but you don't get to play it out to your leisure in order to grab all the loot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gross
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The tension between wanting to spend turns gathering loot vs. Not wanting to die by running out of cards is one of the central mechanics in the game. It doesn't make a ton of sense thematically, but it does make the game better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add to the above, the only way to pick up those coins are to END your turn on the Loot, or play a Loot card in the proper vicinity. You're going to leave coins on the map unless you're playing to easy of a scenario level for your team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mb
It kills me that loot cards are usually the first to burn with early rests. I'm feeling the same tension as you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Nehring
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, I had the cards left at the end to pick up most of the treasure... so I kept playing until I couldn’t discard any more. And there is only one way out of that barrow, so I had to pass by those dropped coins (while dragging my unconscious companion) and I just picked them up.

In a scenario with a round limit I can see having to leave coins, but this one just said “kill all the enemies” with no time limit and we have the option of returning to the city before gong to the next scenario, so time is not a thematic issue. Unless there is a compelling reason why we can’t “run out the clock” it makes more sense to clean out the scenario of loot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gross
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDouglas wrote:
Well, I had the cards left at the end to pick up most of the treasure... so I kept playing until I couldn’t discard any more. And there is only one way out of that barrow, so I had to pass by those dropped coins (while dragging my unconscious companion) and I just picked them up.

In a scenario with a round limit I can see having to leave coins, but this one just said “kill all the enemies” with no time limit and we have the option of returning to the city before gong to the next scenario, so time is not a thematic issue. Unless there is a compelling reason why we can’t “run out the clock” it makes more sense to clean out the scenario of loot.

I'm guessing that you have one or more rules wrong.

First rule you might be getting wrong: the scenario ends at the end of the round in which you fulfill the scenario objective. In this case, at the end of the round in which you kill the final enemy, the scenario is over, and you have no opportunity to play any more cards or take any more turns.

Second rule you may be getting wrong: there is no need to exit the barrow, and in fact, you can't even if you wanted to. There is no door marked exit, the only way out of the barrow is to fulfill the objective, at which point the scenario ends and you're back on the road, either to journey peacefully back to Gloomhaven (but then needing to encounter another Road event when you move on to the next scenario), or else moving on the next scenario directly (if it's linked to the one you just completed, as scenario 2 is linked to scenario 1).

Third rule you may be getting wrong: the only way to get cards back into your hand is to take a rest. On a short rest, you permanently lose (for the remainder of the scenario) one random card that was in your discard pile when you took the rest. A short rest takes place at the end of the round(not the end of your turn), before moving on to the next round. A long rest, in contrast, takes up your entire turn, and you declare it at the beginning of round. Then, on initiative 99, you permanently lose a card of your choice from your discard pile, heal 2 health, and refresh any tapped items.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Gloomhaven getting all the loot for free and explaining it away with thematic reasons is a lot more words to describe cheating the system.

Other synonyms 'easy mode', 'casual gaming', 'fun trumps rules', 'press E to win' (videogaming), balance-b-gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bowmangr wrote:
In Gloomhaven getting all the loot for free and explaining it away with thematic reasons is a lot more words to describe cheating the system.

Other synonyms 'easy mode', 'casual gaming', 'fun trumps rules', 'press E to win' (videogaming), balance-b-gone.

I'm awesome, so all of my character's attacks are insta-kills and I always have a permanent Shield 10.

For some reason, games quickly become boring for me. I wonder why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael T.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
Bowmangr wrote:

I'm awesome, so all of my character's attacks are insta-kills and I always have a permanent Shield 10.

For some reason, games quickly become boring for me. I wonder why.

It's because you invest too much time! Do it like a real pro (me!): Just declare the whole campaign to be finished as a rousing success without even touching the scenario book. Then move on to another game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
xBino wrote:
It kills me that loot cards are usually the first to burn with early rests. I'm feeling the same tension as you.

...I keep my loot card as long as I can. Maybe I'm just greedy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:

...I keep my loot card as long as I can. Maybe I'm just greedy.

Our first attempt at a scenario is usually the "greed" game, where we try to loot and xp as much as possible. Nobody would think bad of you for keeping it, in our group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Username
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
andrewgr wrote:
...the only way to get cards back into your hand is to take a rest.
Not true. There are items that get cards back for example. Just to clear that up.

Other than that, great write up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.