Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Discovery Ships models rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Sten
United States
New York
flag msg tools
http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-eaglemosss-newest...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man those are some ugly ass ships.

WTF is that thing they call a Klingon Bird of Prey supposed to be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Klingon ships look terrible! Like Mad Max tanker trucks instead of battleships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I Miss those 60's clean designs. This is a mess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moppi Wurm
Germany
flag msg tools
Even though I think the series is really becoming good from episode 5 on those designs are pretty terrible for Star Trek. Like some of the ugly made up designs in PC-games or simiar to the ramshackle-design of Star Wars. And they put the best looking ship for subscribers only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the new ships, but seems I'm in the minority here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Douglas
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
badge
Destroyers RULE and Battleships DROOL!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwakkie wrote:

Me too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New_Zealand_Neil wrote:
Kwakkie wrote:

Me too.

I dig them as well, the Klingon ships are extremely ornate which matches their outfit and ship interior look in the new series.

I remember when they changed what a Klingon looked like for the first Star Trek movie but there was no Internet to over react back then.

The bird of prey is probably the weirdest redesign though, practically Romulan looking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Grossen

Pueblo
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New_Zealand_Neil wrote:
Kwakkie wrote:

Me too.

Bird of Prey isn't my favorite, but I really quite like all of the other ship designs!

@all-nay-sayers
Although doesn't it make sense that the warlike species spends more time on ornamentation for their military conquests? Than a utopian peace spreading species?

I want to see the the Ship of the Dead...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Federation ships are OK for the most part...one could conceivably see the progression from these to the Constitution class starships in ten years time (STD being set ten years before TOS). However, it's tough to see how any of those Klingon designs would lead to a D-7 class battlecruiser in ten years (OK, maybe the Veqlargh class, maybe). There's just no effort to show a family resemblance to anything we know to be Klingon. Just another example of how the creators of Discovery show little to no concern for canon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
The Federation ships are OK for the most part...one could conceivably see the progression from these to the Constitution class starships in ten years time (STD being set ten years before TOS). However, it's tough to see how any of those Klingon designs would lead to a D-7 class battlecruiser in ten years (OK, maybe the Veqlargh class, maybe). There's just no effort to show a family resemblance to anything we know to be Klingon. Just another example of how the creators of Discovery show little to no concern for canon...

...I'm over it.

For that matter, it would be really surprising if such a complex and fragmentary empire as the Klingons (especially at this point in their history) all used similar ships. Excessive cultural and technological standardization has always been one of the sillier things about Star Trek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kobold47 wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:

...I'm over it.

For that matter, it would be really surprising if such a complex and fragmentary empire as the Klingons (especially at this point in their history) all used similar ships. Excessive cultural and technological standardization has always been one of the sillier things about Star Trek.

Just for argument sake, I'd point out that the time frame between the TOS Bird of Prey and the TNG Romulan ships is 78 years, while the difference in time between Discovery and TOS is only supposed to be 10 years. It's easier to believe in the evolution of ships over 78 years versus 10. As for the Kelvin timeline Romulan ship, all I can say is "JJ Abrams".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Douglas
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
badge
Destroyers RULE and Battleships DROOL!
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
As for the Kelvin timeline Romulan ship, all I can say is "JJ Abrams".

So much hate out there for JJ's Kelvin timeline. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moppi Wurm
Germany
flag msg tools
Additionally, Neros ship is just a freighter with some Tal Shiar-Borg-addons tacked on, that's why it looks so strange (and ugly).

Makes my heart bleed to see that producers decide the ridicolous (but iconic) 40 year old design of the Tie-Fighter is still good enough for the screen, but the also iconic Bird of Prey has to change because "reasons".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New_Zealand_Neil wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:
As for the Kelvin timeline Romulan ship, all I can say is "JJ Abrams".

So much hate out there for JJ's Kelvin timeline. shake

Where did I say I hated that timeline? I love the new movies as movies, but I do think that some of the decisions, such as the portrayal of the Romulans, including the design of their ship, were a bit silly. Still, in terms of other considerations, such as uniforms and ship designs for the Federation, Abrams movies are light years ahead of Discovery.

Who's hating here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Just for argument sake, I'd point out that the time frame between the TOS Bird of Prey and the TNG Romulan ships is 78 years, while the difference in time between Discovery and TOS is only supposed to be 10 years. It's easier to believe in the evolution of ships over 78 years versus 10. As for the Kelvin timeline Romulan ship, all I can say is "JJ Abrams".

Oh, absolutely. It's just weird to see everyone treating Discovery as some kind of shocking aberration for its (perhaps slightly more egregious) versions of the same retcons and redesigns that every other Trek series has been saturated with since the very second episode of TOS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Scipio
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
While I love the new discovery series, the ships are really dragging it down.

Only the Walker (and Nimitz) class have any appeal to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.