Twilight Imperium (Fourth Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Bombardment without Invasion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kent Henson
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
If you send a fleet into an opponent's occupied system, but don't have Infantry for an invasion, can you still bombard the planets to destroy enemy Infantry on the surface?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Halbower
United States
Muskegon
Michigan
flag msg tools
The Gaming Annex in Muskegon
badge
The Muskegon Area Gamers
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you may.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Henson
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Thanks for that. It was our first playing today and the rules do say you can bombard during the Invasion phase. But if you're not invading, we wondered if you could still bombard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avery Bailey
United States
Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was under the impression that bombardment is a step of invasion. No invasion, no bombardment. I could be wrong...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin LaFleur
Canada
flag msg tools
You absolutely can bombard without commit ground forces to planets. In fact, you can bombard and then after clearly bombard casualties decide where you want to send your ground forces. For example, if you have four ground forces in space in a system that the enemy has 2 planets, each with 1 ground force, you can have your 2 dreadnoughts fire at 1 planet each, and seeing one dreadnought hit, send 1 troop to claim the now empty planet, and the other 3 to attack the defended planet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avery Bailey
United States
Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad this was asked. Enlightening for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haz Dhim
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
Avemo3 wrote:
I was under the impression that bombardment is a step of invasion. No invasion, no bombardment. I could be wrong...

At first glance, the possibility of an invasion without invading units is indeed a bit counter intuitive. However, the Invasion section of the rules reference clearly states:

"To resolve an invasion, players perform the following steps:

Step 1 - bombardement: the active player may use the bombardement ability of any units in the acctive system.

Step 2 - commit ground forces: if the active player has ground forces in the space area of the active system, he may commit any number of those ground forces..."

This indicates that committing ground forces (or even having ground forces in the system) is not a prerequisite for bombardment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.