Subject: Quest moves character, can I quest twice in one turn? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Woody LaBar
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
In quest 87 the reward is to move your character to any space on the map. I quested to earn this reward, can I land on another quest space and quest again in this same turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
bangor boy wrote:
In quest 87 the reward is to move your character to any space on the map. I quested to earn this reward, can I land on another quest space and quest again in this same turn?

Not an official answer, but I'd say no, as the rules say on your turn you can "Move, attempt a quest, and/or build a camp. In that order". It doesn't say you can move, attempt a quest, attempt another quest, etc. Also, I'd say for this reward if you chose to build a camp after moving to that other spot, the camp would have to be on the new spot and not the quest spot you just left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if this is the same topic I have. But I also had similar situation where the reward lets a player to move one his camp to any space and get the reward.
So how the limitation works?
Can he place it anywhere? (I assume unoccupied ones)
For example can he place it on the mine? On the top threat? On the spot on the map? If he placed in on the map, the rewards could be money / gems or is it possible another quest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Meyer
United States
Wichita
KS
flag msg tools
[img]https://boardgamegeek.com/jswidget.php?username=dr_lavo&numitems=10&header=1&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1[/img]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it says to any space, that would tell me that it's any open, available space on the game map, either on gems, gold, or a trade route icon. If they put it on a quest marker, they would not get the quest as their party is not there, just the tent. The next person to stop on that space would get to do the quest, they just won't be able to put a camp down on that spot afterwards.

Threat cards are not spaces. The mine is a trickier one to answer. Hopefully someone else will chime in with their thoughts. The spirit of the quest seems to be to move a camp from one map space to another map space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
dr_lavo wrote:
The mine is a trickier one to answer.

Well, I don't have the quest in front of me, but the OP did say it says "on the map." If that's the wording, it's pretty clear cut.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ottaway
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jepmn wrote:
bangor boy wrote:

Not an official answer, but I'd say no, as the rules say on your turn you can "Move, attempt a quest, and/or build a camp. In that order". It doesn't say you can move, attempt a quest, attempt another quest, etc. Also, I'd say for this reward if you chose to build a camp after moving to that other spot, the camp would have to be on the new spot and not the quest spot you just left.

This also came up in our last game and while we ruled as you did at the time, I'm now not sure if that was correct.

The quest reward states "place your character on any space on the map".

Since you resolve the quest before placing a camp, if you choose to move to a new location you would not be able to place a camp at the location where you completed this quest since you are no longer there.

Now, at the new location, can you place a camp? The rules state "If a player ends their movement on a space that has no camp, they may, after attempting any available quests, build a camp there." It also says they may choose to ignore any available quests if they wish.

In this specific situation, I think you would be allowed to attempt the quest in the new location (and possibly place a camp), but I would still love to hear what the Red Raven team has to say about it.

EDIT: I couldn't find anywhere in the rules that specifically say you couldn't do more than one quest in a turn. It's sort of implied based on having to end your movement but obviously, this reward circumvents that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
pottaway wrote:
EDIT: I couldn't find anywhere in the rules that specifically say you couldn't do more than one quest in a turn. It's sort of implied based on having to end your movement but obviously, this reward circumvents that.

It says attempt "a" quest, build "a" camp (in that order). I think that's pretty clear that you can only do one per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ottaway
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jepmn wrote:
pottaway wrote:

It says attempt "a" quest, build "a" camp (in that order). I think that's pretty clear that you can only do one per turn.

The summary may have it written that way, but the section of the rulebook regarding quests does not. In fact, it refers to "quests" in the plural so I don't think grammar is going to settle it.

For balance sake, I would agree that one quest per turn makes the most sense, but then we get the rare situation of spaces with camps and incomplete quests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Laukat
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bangor boy wrote:

Official answer: no, you can only complete one quest per turn. If you want to complete another quest, you'll have to wait until next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Laukat
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vardamir wrote:
Not sure if this is the same topic I have. But I also had similar situation where the reward lets a player to move one his camp to any space and get the reward.
So how the limitation works?
Can he place it anywhere? (I assume unoccupied ones)
For example can he place it on the mine? On the top threat? On the spot on the map? If he placed in on the map, the rewards could be money / gems or is it possible another quest?

In this case it means you can place on any open space on the map (not the mine).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Laukat
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And after you move to any space in this case, you could finish your turn by building a camp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
mechanicalfish wrote:
And after you move to any space in this case, you could finish your turn by building a camp.
Thanks for the clarification. So in summary:

* Move to space
* Do a Quest. That quest moves you somewhere.
* Go to that place (but do not quest)
* Build a camp (What if a quest token is in that spot? Do you build a camp over it, or is it not eligible for a camp?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solamar wrote:
What if a quest token is in that spot? Do you build a camp over it, or is it not eligible for a camp?

You can build a camp there, and the quest token remains. If someone later chooses to end their movement on that space, they can attempt the quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
XeyneGaming wrote:
Solamar wrote:
What if a quest token is in that spot? Do you build a camp over it, or is it not eligible for a camp?

You can build a camp there, and the quest token remains. If someone later chooses to end their movement on that space, they can attempt the quest.

To add to that correct answer, this is a situation that can come up anytime. You don't need a quest that moves you to encounter it. You just have to have a person who decides not to do a quest, which is always optional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.