Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Please define the phrase "played cards" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Caryn
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I'm trying to figure out the phrase "played cards" in this game. There are times when I can increase my attack or recruit points based on other cards I have previously played this turn. Does "played" mean I have used the card or I intend to use the card. Where I'm getting confused is I want to increase my attack points so I can take on the Mastermind or more powerful Villain. In order to do this I am adding the extra attack points to the attack points in my hand and then taking that higher number to go after the Mastermind. Am I doing this correctly or am I suppose to "play" the attack points in my hand on a lower cost Villain before I can consider the extra points.

We are finding it really easy to win the game in cooperative mode and are starting to wonder if we are playing incorrectly.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachael
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played means basically put the card on the table in front of you. When you do that, do all its text and generate all the recruit and attack you can. Think of that like a bank account. You've deposited the recruit and hit earned from the card into your account. Now you can play another card and deposit all its recruit and attack into the same bank account. At any time, after you've played one card or some cards, or all your cards, you can spend from your bank account. You can recruit and/or fight spending any or all the points you have. Anything you don't spend from your total is still in your bank account. Spend some more or play more cards to get more then spend that. Anything left at the end of your turn is lost but during one turn you can add to and subtract from your totals however you want as the cards allow.

If you only have the base game, it can be pretty easy. Adding one expansion (Dark City is the long-standing start point) can add to the difficulty a lot. That said, with just the base game, play Loki and Legacy Virus with as few black tech and green strength hero cards as possible and see if you can win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AFAIK, playing refers to any instance of a card being in the play area. Not teleported, not discarded, but, as you say, used. I don't believe it counts Artifacts played on a previous turn. Cards which are in your hand have no effect unless otherwise stated (reveal effects) or until you play them.

Long story short: To gain the Attack points from a card, play it by putting it in your play area. Gain all Attack, Recruit, and Piercing on that card, trigger all effects on that card, and gain any Classes as having been played in the appropriate kind and number. (In this order.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And the one important thing about it being "played" is the order. If it weren't for that, you would just lay them all down. But many cards trigger an effect if you have previously played a card of a certain type. You must follow the logic that this commands.

If you have a strength hero card that triggers upon the play of a range hero, and a range hero that triggers upon the play of a strength hero, they can't both trigger each other. One of them is played first and triggers the other, played next. For the first one, the trigger card could not have been "played."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Folks here have already answered, but I figured I'd provide sourcing from the Rule Book. The funny thing is there's no "defined" definition. However, reading the entry on page 11, though it doesn't explicitly spell it out, it's worded pretty clearly as to what it means.

Rule Book, page 11 wrote:
After you play the top card of the Villain Deck, you play the cards from your hand.
<snip>
Here’s what you do:
• Play each card in your hand in any order, one at a time.
• Each time you play a card, do what that card says.
• You also get any Recruit Points listed in the Recruit icon on the card.
• You also get any Attack listed in the Attack icon on the card.
<snip>
• Keep the cards you play in front of you until the end of your turn.

So you can see, the answer to your question of whether "played" could mean "I intend to use the card" is No. Played means you have used it in this turn.

As has been pointed out, the order you play them is SUPER important though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that hasn't been noted yet in this thread is that Sidekicks and New Recruits do count as played, even though they've been returned to their deck and aren't "yours" anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.