Lords of Hellas» Forums » General

Subject: Mythpunk? I'm impressed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick JoJo
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just found out about this game today and it blew my mind. Really neat theme with excellent artwork,presentation and minis. Area control is my favourite genre too,not to mention assymetry and multiple victory conditions

The price(although justified) is way higher than I would like,so I don't think I'll be getting it anytime soon(same reason I still haven't bought Cthulu Wars)

Although many kickstarter projects get inflated reception due to early enthusiasm,I really hope that's not the case with this one and the gameplay is actually tight and fun. Can anyone confirm if that's the case?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stavros tsiakalos
msg tools
mbmbmb
I really enjoy it. Played it with friends a couple of days ago and their first impression was great as well. So we'll definitely be playing more of this. Just needs so much table space

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilhem Bedos
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone has some thoughts to share about the solo, I'd be glad to know more on this point.

And yes, the game does look amazingly good... thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Brankov
Serbia
Novi Sad
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mythpunk is perfect description! I love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkFlame92 wrote:
Although many kickstarter projects get inflated reception due to early enthusiasm,I really hope that's not the case with this one and the gameplay is actually tight and fun. Can anyone confirm if that's the case?

My copy is still on the way, so I can't speak from personal experience, but what I've heard from those who *have* received theirs is positive.

I think the most recent information is that this game is not going to retail, though, so waiting until the price goes down may not work well. (There is some speculation that the might reprint at least some of the game in a future Kickstarter, but to my knowledge that has not been confirmed.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
DarkFlame92 wrote:

My copy is still on the way, so I can't speak from personal experience, but what I've heard from those who *have* received theirs is positive.

I think the most recent information is that this game is not going to retail, though, so waiting until the price goes down may not work well. (There is some speculation that the might reprint at least some of the game in a future Kickstarter, but to my knowledge that has not been confirmed.)

i purchased yesterday from GiochinScatola for about $185 US dollars (and that includes s/h to USA), and was told game should ship in about 2 weeks...

( used the link here on BGG https://boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/product/1387633 )...they will then send you a BGG email asking you to "confirm" (and then pay) after they've given you the total including s/h...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Dee
msg tools
mb
Solo game:

Can't write anything serious, cause I have only played the solo once on tabletop simulator and I am not an experienced gamer in general. I had to improvise with the componets, cause they were the older version, but I enjoyed it very much (even though I lost).
So far it feels epic. There is a story feel, everything seems to fit perfectly in thematical sense (which I love), the monster hunting is a big fun, the army battles too. I like the combat cards.
I am gonna play it again today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mayse
United States
Los Lunas
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo game:
The solo version is actually broken up into two Acts of a campaign centered loosely around the movie "300"...

Act I
Your character Achilles (I know, it should be Leonidas, but we have to wait for him) starts in Sparta (blue) on the southern part of the board while the initial Persian Vanguard force of Xerxes (green) starts in the North. The Vanguard is working their way South to the Oracle of Delphi in Phocis roughly in the middle of the board. Your job is to build your forces to stop the Vanguard from destroying the Oracle and move into Act II. You must gain Allies (yellow) from the Regions you take over moving Northward in order to build a strong enough force to oppose the Vanguard. All the while, there are a random number of Monsters moving with deliberation towards the Monuments (all three are fully built at the beginning on the game) to work on destroying them and a random number of Quests that need to be completed to prevent negative factors that manifest in Act II. Act I ends once the Vanguard reaches the Oracle (immediately destroying it), or if the Persian Invasion track reaches 10, or the Allied forces are able to remove all of Vanguard forces. Any of these endings proceed to the start of Act II with each having differing affects. There is also the constant threat that a Monster will destroy one of the Monuments which immediately ends the entire game (either Act I or II).

Act II
Continuing the campaign, this time you are now dealing with staving off the expansion of Xerxes influence by use of spreading green Hoplites in the Northern Lands to drop green Control Tokens southward and the use of Spies (green Priests) working to decrease your influence and control of Allied Lands. You gain Victory Points for each Battle you win thereby decreasing the Invasion track from where it stopped at the end of Act I. Monsters are still a threat to Monuments and any Quests you did not complete in Act I now add negative effects in Act II. Act II ends negatively when Xerxes has thirteen Control tokens (two are used on the Persian Invasion tray) on the board, controls two full Lands, or one of the Monuments is destroyed. You win the campaign if your Victory marker moves down the Invasion Track to zero, or you finish the last turn of the game by using the last Used Action Token and have more Regions under your control than the Persians, or finally by removing all Persian control tokens from the map.

Overall, this is a VERY challenging solo experience because of having to manage several factors similar to the multiplayer game, but the pressure of Monsters is almost too much of a distraction to maintain a controllable balance against Xerxes forces marching South in either Act. Doing Quests is also extremely important in Act I as you gain Artifacts (draw 2 pick 1 regardless of the actual Quest reward) which are necessary to help with managing Special Action use/reuse since there is no Build Monument Special Action in the solo game (replaced with Pass that does the Used Action token removal function and Artifact reset). Solo game AI is triggered after a Special Action is played and refers back to an Act I or II Script entry in the campaign book. This also burns Used Action Tokens which are ultimately the number of turns in a game. On top of all that, you DO NOT get Priests back after a Pass Special Action so they are pretty much locked with whichever Monument you assign them during the Prayer action limiting your ability to increase Character stats, so you need serious consideration of how you want to develop.

Do I like this solo experience? No...I LOVE IT!!! It has all the elements of multiplayer action and a storyline feel due to the campaign broken into Acts which have very differing strategy mindsets along with Act I decisions affecting Act II. I think the Awaken Realms folks hit a home run with this one and I'm anxious to get in again and try to to beat back the Persian Invasion, this time with more of the Gods' favor on my side...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There are Some Who Call Me... Tim
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkFlame92 wrote:
I just found out about this game today and it blew my mind. Really neat theme with excellent artwork,presentation and minis. Area control is my favourite genre too,not to mention assymetry and multiple victory conditions

The price(although justified) is way higher than I would like,so I don't think I'll be getting it anytime soon(same reason I still haven't bought Cthulu Wars)

I can confirm. In the two plays I've had so far, I'm most impressed by the fact that there's no "runaway winner" possibility. Everyone seems to have a chance right up until the end, making for a great play experience for everyone.

Becq wrote:

I hadn't seen that. There were retailer pledges in the original Kickstarter, so at least SOME retailers will be getting them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Dee
msg tools
mb
Solo:

Can confirm the difficulty here. I played again today and ended up even worse then the first time .
I had all 3 monsters from the start, did not manage to kill one of them at the first attempt, got some serious injuries instead. I spread into Crete and Euboea unnecessarily, so I did not have enough time to move north. I managed to complete just one quest, I lost the oracle in a battle that the Persians won with just one-point advantage. Then in the second act one of the spies got to Euboea and then reclaimed it for Persians, that started spreading in the middle of the map. With leadership of 1 and constant shortage of combat cards there was not much I could do. Sorry, dear people of Greece .

So there is many things to improve in next plays. The play took me about 2 hours (complete game would take about half an hour more I guess). Played on TTS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.