Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Xia: Legends of a Drift System» Forums » Variants

Subject: My first 3 players house rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Today I had my first play of Xia. We were 3 at the table and we used the following house rules:

- Each player started with an X and no ? in the initial planets. X from the ? piece could be exchanged for a reroll.

- Movement rolling could be substituted by half the result of the die (ex. D12 = 6)

- Only first sale in a planet would give points (we left one resource on the planet to mark the sale).

- Shield usage leaves a damage token on the shield. This damage is treated as normal damage and could be removed in a planet.

- NPC were given to the player who trigger the appearance of the NPC and the NPC would have it's turn after that player (except in the first turn were it would be skipped). No player could have more than 1 NPC, so it would be given to the player on the right if the player already had an NPC.

The game was great. No perceived downtime and quite fluid. No trade route problem and although combat was not used as a strategy, it was seen as doable.

Just my 2c.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your first play and you were already using a bunch of house rules? I'm glad you enjoyed it, bu I have to ask why? The one about using half an engines speed in place of rolling makes sense and is a commonly used one for people who aren't fond of roll to move and I guess the first sale to a planet one is because you don't have the Resource board from the expansion (which you can pick up in the files section and print out to use for free), but the other ones are kind of a mystery like the shields causing damage. I'm curious as to why you used them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I was a bit "scared" by all the comments regarding some issues with the game and I was seeking the best experience possible.

Regarding the shields maybe I was not clear in the description. The idea was to make combat more interesting. Each time a player took damage in a shield, the shield would take a damage token in it rendering it unusable(in 2 or 3 activations).

Would you recommend dropping some rules or add another (like the resource board) for our next game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend juzt playing by the rules like normal then figure out what changes (if any) are needed.

Did you play with the expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ok.

I don't play with the expansion. Unfortunately when I got the game, the expansion was no longer available. Hopefully there will be a new kickstart in 2018...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a new kickstarter coming for a reprint of the expansion. In the meantime, as was suggested, I would play a few games directly by the rules to get the full experience of the game and then look at areas that you might want to improve. Things like the "roll to move" aspect never bothered my group, so there was no need for us to include any special rules for movement like lots of other people do. It will vary from group to group. The biggest thing is to be sure that you have fun playing.

If you really wanted to change anything, my suggestions would be to include some of the extras from the expansion as house rules until you actually get it.

Most notably the chance to respawning - In the expansion, you no longer lose a turn when dying, but you respawn with damage equal to the tier of your ship on your next turn. Missing out on entire turns like the original rules state can really suck in a long game.

Market Board - you roll 1d6 for each of the commodities at the start of the game. This is the pool for those resources for the game. Each time you buy cubes, they come from this pool. When you sell cubes, they in turn produce the next type (basically you sell at a planet and it creates the type that can be bought from that planet). These pools can never exceed 6 (any extra is put aside). If a pool is ever empty, you put 1000cr there to be claimed by the first person to generate that type of cube. This helps to limit short trade routes if two planets that buy/sell from each other happen to appear in close proximity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, there is going to be a reprint for Embers, and the kickstarter for that reprint (and a small additional expansion) will be happening soon. There will be an announcement via the Far Off Games newsletter (http://faroffgames.com/contact) and I'll also post on BGG. I'm designing the small expansion, and I'm really excited about it! I think existing players and new players should enjoy it a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I know, just received the newsletter. I'm really excited about it!!!

BTW, congrats on joining Far Off Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.