9 Posts

Spirit Island» Forums » Rules

Subject: Heart Of The Wildfire Special Rule Blazing Presence rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Ferguson
msg tools
mbmbmb
Tried my first game with Heart of the Wildfire, 2 player game Vs LVL 4 France, we got destroyed!

Blight was EVERYWHERE.

Did we play this correctly?

If 2 ore more FIRE elements are showing on your tracks, add 1 blight

Does this Blight come from the card? does it cause cascading?

I found that I was unable to place presence anyplace that already had blight, made moving around the map very hard, it also made making a high spirit place for some of my powers to be used in was very hard, since If I place I place blight, next turn I cant exactly place there again without adding another and it cascading.

Was I doing this wrong? and if not, what tips to play this character would be helpful.

I am thinking it would be better in a 3 or 4 player game, so more blight starts on the card.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Zev
msg tools
badge
All knowledge is worth having
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the blight comes off the blight card. Yes, the blight causes cascading. Yes, this makes placing presence extremely dangerous, especially if there is blight already present.

There's a reason Heart of the Wildfire is a high difficulty spirit. (The card says medium difficulty, but Eric has said that in hindsight that was a mistake).

Heart of the Wildfire's second Innate removes blight, which is exceptionally useful, but several of Wildfire's powers require blight to function, making it a double edged sword. The fewer spirits you're playing with, the lower the margin of error. That said, the extra blight that Wildfire adds during setup does not come from the blight card, and removing it can give you a bit of an extra cushion to start with.

I played a solo game with Wildfire that ended with a single blight on every single land of the island, and one remaining on the Blight card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pureka

Massachusetts
msg tools
Tips:

-- Don't place presence in already blighted land unless you absolutely have to. (Duh)
-- Consider running down ONE of your presence tracks for the first couple of turns to get presence out without inflicting blight, since you'll only have revealed one fire. Generally I think it's easier/better to do this on the Card Plays track, since even with only one fire showing, your third growth option gives you three energy.
-- As mentioned, it's relatively easy to remove one of your starting blight to give yourself a little extra cushion.
-- Get comfortable with a blighted island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Schlepphorst
msg tools
Oh, but it’s so good! Especially with SRG, you just roast everything, so unstoppably fast. You have to manage blight, but Wildfire feels so much better equipped than any other spirit to flexibly deal with invaders. (Except France 5. I think that’s unwinnable.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ferguson
msg tools
mbmbmb
anwei wrote:
Oh, but it’s so good! Especially with SRG, you just roast everything, so unstoppably fast. You have to manage blight, but Wildfire feels so much better equipped than any other spirit to flexibly deal with invaders. (Except France 5. I think that’s unwinnable.)

He does have a lot of power, and we did play France 4, which was our first time ever playing a lvl 4 guy too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ferguson
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the tips, I will give it another shot, I did one on each to get 2 fire showing to get my inate powers up but this makes sense, ill change it to one track until I have more plant powers to remove more blight, makes sense

I too might wait for a 3 player game, starting with 4 on the card makes it hard to manage blight before a flip

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
France is also a hard opponent for Wildfire. Normally, you use your early-game presence placements to pick off just-placed explorers, but France's double-explorer rule means that you need two points of damage to stop them, and you need that second fire icon which will cause blight. Once you get rolling, though, it's a very effective spirit which can deal huge amounts of damage to invaders, and you often don't want to clean out the last blight in a land before killing the invaders there, as you need it for many powers. I highly recommend trying Wildfire against Sweden to get you comfortable with blighting lands yourself, as there you will frequently be preventing a second blight they would have placed if your didn't burn them down.

Avoid taking powers that require sacred sites, as you will be unlikely to ever want to build one outside of your starting area, as it basically means triggering cascading blight. Also, Wildfire tends to team up poorly with Keeper and Fangs, as the latter two have many powers that cannot target blighted lands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay I have to bump to ask this.

I’m placing a presence as HotW and I have two flames showing on presence tracks. I deal two damage (causing a blight), then place a blight (because two or more flames are showing), causing a cascade to place a THIRD BLIGHT on the board. Is this accurate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Okay I have to bump to ask this.

I’m placing a presence as HotW and I have two flames showing on presence tracks. I deal two damage (causing a blight), then place a blight (because two or more flames are showing), causing a cascade to place a THIRD BLIGHT on the board. Is this accurate?

No. If Heart of the Wildfire places presence in a land without blight, it will add at most one blight. Placing presence deals damage, and damage without a qualifier is always applied to invaders. This damage does not cause any blight. Then, as part of Wildfire's special ability, if you had two more fire, you place a blight. (Before release, it was phrased as "deal that much damage to invaders and to the land", but was rewritten to make the effects more explicit.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.