Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I hate this game no fan of the forced 20 max percent off MSRP price floor.
I guess someone might want it at this price.

As of 9:32 EST, checked over 30 minutes, price is still $60.11.

https://www.amazon.com/Mayfair-Games-MFG-3501-Caverna/dp/B00...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Good deal, but not super hot. This game was near $50 recently.

Surprisingly I keep not buying this game. Huh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SuperGLS wrote:

Same. I want to see more expansion support before I decide to buy it, but even then I might not anyway since Agricola deluxe is due this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperGLS wrote:

Yeah, I know it’s not super hot, hot-hot but because of the artificial high MSRP and the price flooring enforced, the price is such, a few fence sitters will go for it.

I sold an opened but unplayed copy for $62 with the Christmas mini expansion in it, took 2 years to unload it. Deal breaker is that damn $18.00 plus shipping on it.

So, my advice is, if you want this, if you cannot pick up a used copy local, this is a decent deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Lo
United States
West Memphis
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About the same price as the sale at GamerNerdz last week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Norris
United States
Blacksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
If you manage to click exactly on one of my avatar's eyes, you will win a special prize! Be careful though, as the penalty for missing it is severe.
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember when I bought this for $90 on Amazon shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob G
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And because you all didn't buy it, now at $57.91.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gman94024 wrote:

LOL, ouch. If it makes anyone feel better I payed close to $100 for this thing.

Normal Amazon would have sold out at $60.11, within 5 minutes, or upped the price.

So, another drop in price, go figure, “I felt a great disturbance in the gaming world, as if a couple of thousand Caverna owners suddenly cried out in pain from banging their heads on the gaming table, and were suddenly silenced.”

I wonder what local shops do for games like this where they are forced into that no more then 20 percent off MSRP or face the wrath of the distributor or publisher’s consequences. I mean they have money locked up in it, it eats of space on the shelf in the store or warehouse.

In the magazine world I believe the covers get ripped off, the rest shipped back to the publisher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Maier
United States
Butler
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danamark wrote:
gman94024 wrote:

I wonder what local shops do for games like this where they are forced into that no more then 20 percent off MSRP or face the wrath of the distributor or publisher’s consequences. I mean they have money locked up in it, it eats of space on the shelf in the store or warehouse.

In the magazine world I believe the covers get ripped off, the rest shipped back to the publisher.

"Ask for our best deals!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fell
United States
East Patchogue
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your interested in the game, now is a good time to get it at the link above because at most other places online its over $70+++. If you have prime it ships free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
gman94024 wrote:

SE Now $56.35

ships free regardless of Prime
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I don't know anything about this game. The art is kind of eh..

It really must be that good, huh? So why is it so expensive? And is this game all that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lencioni
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be all over this but I don't really see a reason after getting A Feast for Odin. Maybe that is why the price is coming down a bit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Gilliam
msg tools
mbmbmb
This appears to be another Walmart/Amazon price battle. As long as neither goes out of stock, the price will continue to trickle down as Walmart increases the in store pick up discount (currently with discount Walmart is $56.35) and Amazon reduces to match the Walmart price. The tricky thing is predicting when others are going to jump and cause the deal to end. I have gotten quite a few great deals timing these price battles just right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Polioliolio wrote:
So, I don't know anything about this game. The art is kind of eh..

It really must be that good, huh? So why is it so expensive? And is this game all that?

I would play it first, couple of times, very static setup, an all open information game.

It’s a tough game to resell, it weight 7 lbs or so, it take $20 to ship, you cannot compete with the online discounters free ship when you have a used game.

The biggest difference?

Think of Agricola, now replace the cards in your hand with tiles placed face up, the whole deck, they are now available first come, first take. It eats a huge amount of table space, it’s difficult to see the cards for a large player count, lots of getting out of your seat, I find a game this bloated a drag to pull out, set up.

Another poster described it as "....epitome of inelegant, kitchen-sink designs that leave me feeling cold after hours of slogging through what feels like a meaningless point salad of mismatched mechanisms.”

Take a long list of complaints over the years from Agricola, now add in a catch up mechanism for each, in an attempt to fix it, example make the feeding requirement nothing more then a slight nuisance, I find no game here, it’s solitaire and more of busy work, trying to beat you last score by a few points.

That said, what do I know, look at the ratings just added this year.

It’s high price is because of the raised $10 on the reprint taking it to $98.89 or something like that. They price floor it, which is a price control or limit on how low a price can be, it’s set at 20 percent off MSRP.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/definition/price-floor

I’m not sure how a very few online shops have offered a price below the price floor, maybe they deal with surplus, like Ollie’s, maybe the are dropping the publisher, I don’t know.

My understanding via of reading threads here, they will take action against anyone bucking them on price, but then again who bucks Amazon, the 800 lb gorilla.

If you don’t own the original, I would consider Agricola the revised edition, basics the cards have been reworked,
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/200680/agricola-revised-...

This is really Agricola 2 and is still a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I suspect this game may not be for me, at least not without playing other games like it first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skyguard
msg tools
mbmb
$56.35 currently, $52.43 if you take an Amazon warehouse copy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K
msg tools
Gronkul the Innocent
badge
Bigger than Gloomhaven
mbmbmbmbmb
I paid $72 for this once upon a time. It was one of my first games. I have played the game at least 6 times (sorry if that's not alot), but since I do enjoy the game I will offer some counterpoints.

#1 No expansion coming - If you are waiting on this you may want to pop an antidepressant. There are no plans on one and to be fair it does NOT need one. They play has more than enough choices and if it got any longer I fear it would never hit a table.

#2 It's expensive...let's drone on about price floors and publisher daemons - The game has 1 Billion wooden sheep, you will need back surgery after carrying to table, also... the game is good! But sure, all the publisher stuff plays it's role so hopefully nobody takes offense to my dry humor.

#3 Bad art - Yep, but you also get to wish for children in the game.

#4 Caverna = Agricola ....BGG has much better answers than the snips provided. Here is what I would consider a mostly impartial view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Secluded beach on the Virginia coastline. One of the greatest places on earth.
badge
Beardandglasses
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently got a warehouse copy.

The bad news: The corners of the lid on one side were ripped (cleanly) allowing the bottom to slide out to the left.

The good news: Some cardstock, wood glue and a firm grip fixed it with little visible damage.

The better news: It was $46.00

The bonus: I had an Amazon gift card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
sonotoridesu wrote:
SuperGLS wrote:

Same. I want to see more expansion support before I decide to buy it, but even then I might not anyway since Agricola deluxe is due this year.

In my short list of games that don’t need or want expansions, Caverna is near the top. The base game is HUGE and eats most of a six foot table. Adding expansions would turn this into a Mega Civ length game.

I don’t have time to dig into everything for my reasoning, but Caverna is also vastly superior to Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.