Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m stumped - how the heck do new quest cards come into play beyond the starting quest? Bonus points for telling me where in the rules it states this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Dean
Australia
Earlwood
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quests are "staged" in the play area. Results of completed quests or encounter choices may result in more quests being "staged". You can find this in the Rules Reference under "Quests" and the following column, "Results".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
don vandrei
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am trying to figure this game out also but I am pretty sure it happens when you resolve a quest action. All available quests you can resolve are face up in the play area. After u resolve that quest I think it opens up the opportunity fort new quests. Tonight I got to Diamond City with the opening quest then I discarded it and added numbers 016 and 067 to the staging area. Then I began to work on those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Knew that part. But we’ve been playing for two and a half hours, and no new quests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Grace
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to complete the starting quest to advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Every time you finish a main quest step/card, the next main quest step is staged, as well as a new side quest "chain" of related quests.

Sometimes at the end of a side quest chain, it might also stage a new chain. (eg some resolutions of the Aliens chain might cause the Brotherhood to show up to investigate)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
Knew that part. But we’ve been playing for two and a half hours, and no new quests.

I'm pretty certain that all of the starting quests for every scenario have "stage XXX" as part of their rewards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah - one, tiny mistake. Starting quest was drawn randomly. Screwed the entire game up.

If the rules introduction had alluded to the linear nature of quests, might have caught it sooner. Oh, well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
Yeah - one, tiny mistake. Starting quest was drawn randomly. Screwed the entire game up.

If the rules introduction had alluded to the linear nature of quests, might have caught it sooner. Oh, well.

How were you drawing a starting quest randomly? Where from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamel Rha
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
DarrellKH wrote:

Yeah. You have to stage the quest card indicated in the senario setup. It is even mentionned in the rules. Choosing one randomly would be... difficult to say the least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
DarrellKH wrote:

By picking a card off the top of the pile.

The rules stated there's an initial quest staged. Someone else was looking at the scenario sheet while I was setting up based on the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamelrha wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
DarrellKH wrote:

Yeah. You have to stage the quest card indicated in the senario setup. It is even mentionned in the rules. Choosing one randomly would be... difficult to say the least.

Shit happens. Nothing in either rulebook (always a stupid idea, having two) highlighted the linear story structure of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Thompson
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
Jamelrha wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
DarrellKH wrote:

Shit happens. Nothing in either rulebook (always a stupid idea, having two) highlighted the linear story structure of the game.

Yes it does. The setup instructions tell you to look at the scenario sheet to see which card should be staged.

And having two rule books (one how-to-play, one alphabetical rules reference) has been lauded time and time again as the best way to publish rules.

EDIT: Also, just to clarify, it's a branching story structure, not a linear story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cthompsonguy wrote:
DarrellKH wrote:
Jamelrha wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
DarrellKH wrote:

Yes it does. The setup instructions tell you to look at the scenario sheet to see which card should be staged.

And having two rule books (one how-to-play, one alphabetical rules reference) has been lauded time and time again as the best way to publish rules.

EDIT: Also, just to clarify, it's a branching story structure, not a linear story.

It's both - it's linear and has branching elements. Event A will always precede Event B.

And who lauded the two-rulebook system? Somebody who never learned Mage Knight, I'm guessing.

It's possible for one rulebook to serve both as an instructional manual and a reference, and has been done for games for far longer than I've been alive. Having two is a writing convenience, not a reading convenience, and an open invitation to cover something in one place, but not the other.

You know, I originally posted my question in the middle of trying to explain this game to 3 other people, when I've never played it before, and using Fantasy Flight's consistently pathetic attempts at rules-writing. Guess what? I overlooked something, but then so did 3 other people who were also going through both rulebooks, and looking at the scenario card.

I ask a question because I'm seeing behavior from the game system nobody else has asked about. And then I get a couple of armchair quarterbacks responding essentially with statements tantamount to "How could you possibly miss this?"

I've been reading and writing rules for over fifty years. I've playtested for wargames published by Avalon Hill. (And with AH, playtesting included blind testing of the rulebook, and changes thereto, unlike most publishers today.)

Like I said - shit happens. Get over it. Or if you're pathologically fixated on berating others, then go find someone else to chastise for missing a rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yajster de Burgh
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur with previous posters - FFG's rules are regularly poorly structured, complicating an otherwise straight-forward game.
I often go to the Esoteric Order of Gamers site, to find a decoded and summarised version of the rules.

Where's the FAQ FFG?
Mage Knight is a great example of splitting rules across two books inconsistently - the dreaded Learn To Play book/Reference Book.
https://www.orderofgamers.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.